FJs for the 2/20/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/20/17 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 pm

The first recorded use of this word in print was when Nathan Hope posted an image of his busted lip online in 2002
46%
In August 2015 3 retired Marines helped raise the U.S. flag in this city where they'd hauled it down 54 years earlier
64%
Year the New York World lamented, “The age of statesmen is gone…the age of rail-splitters and tailors…has succeeded”
24%
About himself he says, "Since the heavens have shap'd my body so, let hell make crook'd my mind to answer it"
46%
Astronomer who began his epitaph, "I used to measure the heavens, now I shall measure the shadows of Earth"
76%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
4%
ALL IN A DAY'S WORK $1000: An 8-hour day & I made 40 buttons, so divide output by input to get this measure, 5 per hour
48%
UNCHARTED $2000: In the 500s B.C. Scylax sailed the length of this longest river of Pakistan to the Arabian Sea and beyond
50%
I'M A FOOD "E" $800: The hole truth is it's another name for Swiss cheese
43%
Okay, I'll admit that I have posted a selfie online.
42%
Saigon, Berlin or Seoul was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
17%
1860 was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
46%
Andrew Johnson being a tailor was not familiar to me.
63%
I knew Lincoln was "rail-splitter" and Johnson was "tailor", yet I still had the wrong year.
6%
[Requested] I had no idea what Lilly's FJ response "spiciest memelord" meant.
62%

Total votes: 125

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: FJs for the 2/20/17 week

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote:I assume a profile picture is not a selfie.... :?:
If it's a photo you took of yourself it's a selfie by definition.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

JayK33 wrote:Technically speaking though, this is the first ever selfie, from 1839.
Spoiler
If one stretches the definition to include non-photographic "selfies," the timeline goes back even further. Wikepedia credits "Portrait of a Man in a Turban" by Jan van Eyck in 1433 as "may well be the earliest known" painted self-portrait. It was due to a technological advance, of a sort: "with better and cheaper mirrors," self-portraits started becoming more common.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Great week for me
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Guessed meme for selfie. I have never taken one. I only got a smartphone a few months ago.
My math on Tuesday was wrong, so I thought early 70s and guessed Saigon.
Didn't know the tailor angle on Wednesday and I guessed 1860.
No clue on Thursday.
I finally got Friday right, but initially went with Brahe before switching.

I knew Emmenthaler because when I was once backpacking through Europe, I happened upon a shop that sold cheese, but none of the signage was in English. I saw that the cheese with holes in it was labeled Emmenthaler and sure enough, it tasted like Swiss Cheese.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

Monday: ?
Wednesday: 1860
Friday: Kepler but not in time.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I agree that not every self-portrait qualifies as a "selfie". A proper selfie likely requires holding the photographic device (either directly or with use of a hand-held stick), but a selfie does not require a phone nor a screen facing the subject. People use mirrors for selfies all the time, and plenty of selfies were taken in the days before camera phones simply by the subjects turning their camera lenses back toward themselves and pressing the shutter button. Even adhering to Merriam-Webster's somewhat strict definition that a digital camera is required for a selfie, I venture that millions of selfies had been posted online before the word had been coined. I was inspired to start taking selfies at various points of interest while I was in college in the late 1990s, but when I found my dad's photo album from the '70s, I saw I was several decades behind the trend.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
I've posted a couple of selfies for specific reasons. (My reply on Monday was "faceplant", though.)

Don't remember having heard that Johnson was a tailor, though I was probably aware of it at some point.

Hadn't heard the expression "spiciest memelord". Figured it was from something but I didn't know what. Even after looking it up, I'm not sure if it's the spiciest lord of memes or the lord of the spiciest memes.

2224443315534212332313[43CC], 69-51