1. Submit your entry via Google form.
2. Brains, not computers or books.
3. DROP one question and take 0 points for it.
4. Take a demotion to the ENSEMBLE for one question and take points for the most common answer.
5. Wrong answers drop you to the ENSEMBLE + 5 points.
6. There are two bonus questions worth -3 and -2 points.
7. PM me with questions or corrections.
1. NOT THROWING AWAY MY SHOT. 12 different musicals have been announced as eligible for the 2017 Tony Awards. (As of February 10, 2017) Name one.
2. THIS COULD BE YOU. For the 2016 Tonys, the nominees for Leading/Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical joined host James Corden for an opening number, “That Could Be Me/This Could Be You.” Name one of the nominees for Leading Actor or Leading Actress in a Musical for last year and the show they were in.
3. LET’S SING SOME KARAOKE, IN A CAR! James Corden was a great host of the 70th Tony Awards (2016). If he repeats this year, he’ll join a category with 12 different actors and actresses, the people who have hosted multiple times. Name one.
4. OF THEE I SING. A depression-era musical by the Gershwins, Of Thee I Sing was a political satire where a third party ticket (the “love ticket”) runs for President. Wikipedia has labeled nine third party contenders for the Presidency since 1968 as being significant. I will give you a list of the years, name one candidate and the year they ran. (NOTE: The candidate for 1992 and 1996 is the same. Either year works, and all answers will be counted under the same line)
7. I’M READY FOR MY CLOSE-UP! This year, La La Land lost the Best Picture Oscar. Ten other movie musicals have won one. Name one.
8. IS THIS A CROSS-OVER EPISODE? Over the years, many popular actors have been able to seamlessly transition to performing in a movie musical. Given the picture, tell me the actor and the movie the screenshot is from.
Pictures are here
9. ALL HAIL THE QUEENS! Julie Taymor was the first woman to win a Tony for Best Direction of a Musical. She won for directing The Lion King in 1998. Since then, 9 women have been nominated or won the award. Name one based off of the list of shows worked on.
C. Movin' Out
D. Wonderful Town, The Pajama Game, Anything Goes, Nice Work If You Can Get It
E. Rock of Ages
F. Hair, Porgy and Bess, Pippin
I. Fosse (alongside Richard Maltby, Jr.)
BONUS 1. PHILLY, NOT NEW YORK For -3 points, the popular TV show It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia did a musical episode in their fourth season that was expanded into a live production featuring such songs as Just to be Clear; It’s Nature, Shit Happens; I’ve Got a Troll in my Hole; Troll Toll; and Tiny Boy, Little Boy, Baby Boy. Name either of the two lead characters (played by Mac and Dennis) of the musical.
BONUS 2. GLEE-FULLY SINGING. Before he became popular on TV in Glee and on Broadway in How to Succeed and Hedwig, Darren Criss was/is a member of a musical theatre and improv troupe named Team Starkid that was started at the University of Michigan that has gained popularity by posting their musicals on Youtube. For -2 points, name one of their musicals.