Monday, February 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1942 a Maryland area was named for the Tibetan paradise in "Lost Horizon" but in 1953 was renamed this, for a young boy

Kirstin Cutts: 10200-1999=8201 (4x = $49,403)
Sam Oglesby: 8200-3601=4599
Amy Sumner: 11800-8601=3199

Correct response:
Spoiler
Camp David (Kirstin - ____) (Sam – Chesapeake) (Amy – Chesapeake Bay)

Daily Doubles
Amy: 6600-2000
Kirstin: 2800+1000
Amy: 8600+1600

Coryats
Kirstin: 10000
Sam: 8200
Amy: 13800

Combined: 32,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: Monday, February 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

4, 4 $400: Complimentary synonym for the Bible

Good Book is the expected and best response.

In these kinds of categories there can be times when an alternate response is given. It did not happen in this case, but I wondered about something like, "Holy Book" etc.

When the players went to the MUSEUM category last in the J! round that guaranteed all 30 clues for the round while all but setting up less than 30 clues in the DJ! round.

It worked out in Kirstin's favor perhaps to have $4800 in 4 clues un-played as she was a close second for the FJ! round.

A similar twist on the FJ! clue appeared in this game:

#7198, aired 2015-12-23 IN RESIDENCE $1000: The presidential retreat today known as Camp David was first named this by FDR after a James Hilton novel

Amy paid a costly price for not knowing Marian Anderson in her DD miss as +4000 more would have changed the wagering scenario for the FJ! round.

I'll give credit to Eddie Murphy's Delirious taped at the DAR Constitution Hall for my first exposure to the name Marian Anderson as he closed his show with a mention of her not being allowed to sing there in contrast to his having a show there years later.

Kirstin's win bumps the last 3x champ, Philip Tiu, from the TOC list moving her to the 15th slot. I would not expect to see her playing in May without a fifth win tomorrow.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

I can't tell you when was the last time we've ever saw a champ win 4 days with less than $50,000. That's literally where champs before the year 2000 started their winnings. It bugs me that on the 2nd game, Kate should've had that win if she had finished her response of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.

However, on MarkBarrett's side, Philip Tiu right now is probably feeling depressed that he couldn't get to 4 days to at least keep him a chance to the tournament. He would have been a killer competitor with his clutch DDs. At this point, I'm pulling for Andrew Pau, Jason Sterlacci (For a possible upset like Colby Burnett did in the 2013 ToC), or Seth Wilson to win the ToC.

It just made me so angry that Kirstin is still standing after taking off two weeks of the College Championship. Normally, I thought we'd see her with fatigue and be dethroned by a challenger.

This year has been ridiculed with strange and foolhardy wagers in Season 33.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Nailed FJ cold (again), but felt the clue would have been better served with MARYLAND as a category
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Nailed FJ cold (again), but felt the clue would have been better served with MARYLAND as a category
I agree that the category is a bit of a misnomer. I can't believe none of them got this one, but I think of a landmark as something the public can visit or view. "Maryland" keeps it vague enough while being maybe a little less misleading.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:I can't tell you when was the last time we've ever saw a champ win 4 days with less than $50,000. That's literally where champs before the year 2000 started their winnings. It bugs me that on the 2nd game, Kate should've had that win if she had finished her response of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.
Well, she didn't. Too bad.
It just made me so angry that Kirstin is still standing after taking off two weeks of the College Championship. Normally, I thought we'd see her with fatigue and be dethroned by a challenger.
You do realize she didn't really stop for two weeks. The break between her last two games was no longer than it would have been if they had aired on a normal Friday/Monday.

An instaget FJ for me as I recalled the FJ mentioned above. I agree U.S. Landmarks isn't a good description (and I think the players may have been misled) as Camp David isn't a place most people will ever see unless they want a beatdown from the Secret Service.

I wonder if they'll have another category from that museum. Having two this close together from the same place seemed a bit unusual. It looks like a pretty interesting place, if I ever go to DC I'll put it on my list. The category itself was fairly simple, though I said Leontyne Price instead of Anderson.

Congrats to Kirsten on the win and making the TOC bubble. She dodged not only a risky small wager but also corrected Alex.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Looks like it's Teachers Tournament in May and not the TOC, so I was wrong in thinking Kirstin had a chance to play in May.

https://www.jeopardy.com/tournaments/up ... ournaments

Of course Kirstin could still play in May with an extended winning streak. :lol:

So the 2017 TOC seems more likely for S34.
2001 was 10/23 - 11/3
2004 was 9/20 - 10/1
2007 & 2011 & 2014 & 2015 was November

If the 2017 TOC is November that is a two-year gap and that stinks for the 4x champs.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I could think of nothing in Maryland with a kid's name so I said Camden Yards. :oops:

I thought the DDs were all easy today but no one bet big, which kept the game close.

Raspberries > Blueberries for me.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Heard the story before, couldn't think of the name, blurted out Camp David with seconds to spare, then wondered why the category was 'Landmarks'. Whatever.
MarkBarrett wrote:Looks like it's Teachers Tournament in May and not the TOC, so I was wrong in thinking Kirstin had a chance to play in May.
So yet another auto-bid squeezing out champs on the low end. If the TOC tracker is accurate, that'll be 2 College champs, 2 Teachers, 7 superchamps, and 7 more months worth of games to pick off the remaining 4xers. Yikes.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

All I could think of for FJ was Chevy Chase.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:4, 4 $400: Complimentary synonym for the Bible

In these kinds of categories there can be times when an alternate response is given. It did not happen in this case, but I wondered about something like, "Holy Book" etc.
The missus and I both said "Holy Writ". I think they'd have to take it.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

42 right.

Pizza (2), Slice (3), Cemetery (4), Band (5), Absentia (5), African-American (5)
Nobel (3), Jenny (3), "O"pourri (3), Geology (2), Poetry (3), 4, 4 (4)

Lach Trash: Colombia, body blow; DD: Marian Anderson

Instaget FJ.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

OW! KIRSTEN! LUCKYYY.... >insstagett for goats. Didn't the 'young boy' marry Julie Nixon?! :P

41R. LT: Marian Anderson @ DAR ConHall 1939; FARC > Columbia; "atom groupings' = molecules (considered 'nanotech but couldnt fit the clue); autophagy AKA apoptosis; outcasts of poker flat; asbestos (recurring repeatedly in past few months, clearly a 'new focus topic.'
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

No chance on FJ. I have a feeling I'm well on my way to my second shutout in a row.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Insta-instaget and stunned it was a triple miss. Camp David is part of Catoctin Mountain Park near Thurmont, MD (I take my bike up there occasionally for a ride and get as far as the outskirts of Gettysburg). The first time I went up there (circa 1985), the map they give out at the entrance had Camp David clearly labelled. I went back a few years later, got the map at the entrance and ... there was a big blank area where Camp David is. I was amused, especially since the main road goes past a turnoff for it, and there are numerous warnings about the area being restricted.

Alas, 45 has indicated that he is not likely to use the facility (it is rustic, and not to his, um, taste). Hopefully he doesn't do anything like sell it off.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:4, 4 $400: Complimentary synonym for the Bible

The missus and I both said "Holy Writ". I think they'd have to take it.
Good one and I would think Holy Word would fly as well.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Here is the David in question at Camp David:
Last edited by OSXpert on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

OSXpert wrote:I could think of nothing in Maryland with a kid's name so I said Camden Yards. :oops:
StevenH wrote:All I could think of for FJ was Chevy Chase.
Y'all did better than me...at least you said/wrote something. I clammed. :oops: Gotta join the small chorus of 'Landmarks' being a bit misleading with the clue...
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven