Tuesday, February 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7477, 2017-02-28

CONTESTANTS
Leanne Vincent, a geospatial analyst from Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rob Liguori, a research editor from Brooklyn, New York
Kirstin Cutts, a graduate student from Austin, Texas (whose 4-day cash winnings total $49,403)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Great game on yesterday's program. A tough final for all three of our contestants. Kirstin just a shade under 50 grand in winnings on Jeopardy! Rob and Leanne, welcome aboard. Let's go to work, players. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for you. One Daily Double coming up in one of these categories today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
VALLEYS (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BEASTLY MOVIES (5/5)
ABBREV. (5/5)
CROSSWORD CLUES "Q" (5/5)
ROBOTS (5/5)
OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE (2/5) (Sarah: A drive to central Massachusetts, a step back in time to the early 19th century.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 12 R, 0 W
Kirstin: 7 R, 0 W
Leanne: 7 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rob: $3,200
Kirstin: $1,800
Leanne: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Leanne Vincent is from Canada. And I have good news for you.

Leanne: Oh.

Alex: Our judges have decided that they are going to accept your response of "queasy" in that "Q" category a few minutes ago. So that adds $800 to your total. Now you lived and worked in South Korea for how long?

Leanne: For six years.

Alex: Doing what?

Leanne: I was teaching English.

Alex: Ah.

Leanne: I'm actually an archaeologist by training, and I was gonna do my Ph.D., but then I looked at my bank balance and said, "That's probably not a good idea."

[Laughter]

Alex: So now you are not only fluent in English and French, because you're bilingual being from Canada...

Leanne: Yes.

Alex: ...but you can speak Korean.

Leanne: I can swear at taxi drivers in Korean.

Alex: Oh, hello.

[Laughter]

Alex: That's all you need.

Leanne: That's all you need.

Alex: Yes, indeed.

Alex: Rob Liguori, research editor from Brooklyn, New York. Yesterday on the program, we had a young lady standing there who left her wedding ceremony on a Vespa. You had something interesting happen in your wedding ceremony also, and it had to do with dress.

Rob: Yeah, this had to do with the entrance to the wedding reception. My wife Nicole, who is out there in the audience, and I decided it would be a good idea if we surprised everybody by dressing up in giant inflatable T. rex costumes. Some people might be familiar--there's some viral videos out there--of T. rexes shoveling snow, doing the American Ninja Warrior course, lots of other things.

Alex: Did you eventually take the outfits off?

Rob: Almost immediately.

Alex: Oh.

Rob: It was the middle of July.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

[Laughter]

Alex: Kirstin Cutts, graduate student from Austin, Texas. She is our champion. And she is a contestant on Jeopardy! because of her mom, who shamed her into trying out for the program.

[Kirstin laughs.]

Alex: How did she do that?

Kirstin: Yeah. Well, when I got the invitation for the audition, I had just come back from spending a couple months in another city, and I had to move the next week, and I thought, there's just no way that I'm going to be able to work this into my life. So I called my mom and said, "I made a real grownup decision, didn't I?" And she said, "No. What are you doing? Go. Go."

[Laughter]

Kirstin: I would be a personal disappointment to her if I wasn't here, so I gotta... [clicks tongue] I gotta do right by my mom.

Alex: Mom's feeling pretty proud about you.

Kirstin: I hope so.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Leanne found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Kirstin had $4,200, Rob had $7,000, and Leanne was at $1,600. Leanne made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

VALLEYS $800: Once a national monument, this valley in Wyoming became part of Grand Teton National Park in 1950
(Leanne: What is Devils Monument?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Old Sturbridge Village, Massachusetts.) The miller made his living by keeping 1/16th of what he milled, as village residents would bring grain to be turned into flour; this word "to the mill", you might say

OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Old Sturbridge Village, Massachusetts.) During the same era recreated at Old Sturbridge Village, this poet honored the honest sweat of the village blacksmith & wrote that children loved to see the flaming forge

OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Old Sturbridge Village, Massachusetts.) At Old Sturbridge Village, the meeting house is thought of as belonging to this denomination, a mouthful of a name the descendants of the Puritans adopted because it represented the local group of worshippers
(Leanne: What is the Society of Friends?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

VALLEYS $400: Lincoln signed the bill protecting this Calif. valley in 1864 & Benjamin Harrison signed the bill making it a natl. park in 1890
(Leanne: What is Death Valley?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rob: $7,000
Kirstin: $4,200
Leanne: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON YOUR LEFT! (2/2)
1980s BESTSELLERS (3/5)
A SHOW OF HANS (4/5)
ALBUM COVERS (4/5)
ANCIENT BATTLES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TALK LIKE A CANADIAN (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Kirstin: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Leanne: 7 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Leanne snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Kirstin had $7,000, Rob had $9,800, and Leanne had a deficit with -$400. Leanne wagered $1,000.

ANCIENT BATTLES $1600: Defeat at the 207 B.C. Battle of the Metaurus River ended this man's efforts to conquer Italy

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Leanne who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Kirstin had $7,000, Rob had $9,800, and Leanne was at $600. Leanne wagered $2,000.

TALK LIKE A CANADIAN $1600: Originally a derogatory term for Depression-era gasoline thieves, today it means any foolish or uncivilized person
(Leanne: Who are rum-runners?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now, Leanne.)
(Leanne: Gonna take my passport away from me.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
1980s BESTSELLERS $1200: In 1981 he checked into the bestseller list with "The Hotel New Hampshire"

ANCIENT BATTLES $1200: 7,000 Thebans at the Battle of Leuctra in 371 B.C. broke the power this Greek city had enjoyed for a generation
(Leanne: What is Athens?)

ALBUM COVERS $2000: David Bowie sports a makeup lightning bolt across his face
(Rob: What is Ziggy Stardust?)
(Leanne: Um... what, uh...)

1980s BESTSELLERS $2000: The top fiction book of 1985 was Jean Auel's novel about these Ice Age "Hunters"
(Leanne: Who is Cro-Magnon man?)

A SHOW OF HANS $2000: Hans Sachs was this type of crooner of Nuremberg, later a Wagner title character

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rob: $12,600
Kirstin: $9,800
Leanne: -$600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RELIGION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Rob: Wager $7,001 to cover Kirstin.
Kirstin: Risk between $2,801 and $4,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Famous Catholics who've publicly answered this question include Susan Boyle (sweets) & Paul Ryan (beer)

FINAL SCORES
Kirstin: $9,800 + $2,801 = $12,601 (What is your what you gave up for Lent?) (2nd place)
Rob: $12,600 + $7,001 = $19,601 (What is what did you give up for Lent?) (New champion: $19,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rob: $12,600, 21 R, 2 W
Kirstin: $9,800, 12 R, 0 W
Leanne: $3,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 8 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $26,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Rob: 22/58 = .379
Leanne: 14/61 = .230
Kirstin: 13/58 = .224
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CROSSWORD CLUES "Q" $400: Those uneasy feelings
(6)
(Leanne: What is queasy?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct during contestant interviews]

OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Old Sturbridge Village, Massachusetts.) A bustling place in the 18th century, used as everything from a parade ground to a town dump, by the early 1800s, the center of the typical New England village was becoming we think of as the peaceful manicured green, or as they call it in Boston, this

OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Old Sturbridge Village, Massachusetts.) 1830s villagers, wanting personal protection, had the same main option as in Revolutionary War times--this type of gun named for the type of stone that sparks its firing mechanism

ROBOTS $600: A design for a self-propelled robot vehicle was drawn up by this man around 1478; built in 2004, it worked

VALLEYS $200: Today part of Israel, the Valley of Elah is where these 2 fought as recounted in the first book of Samuel
(Leanne: Who are the Philistines and the Israelites?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the Daily Double]

1980s BESTSELLERS $400: In 1986 he celebrated his 82nd birthday with the publication of "You're Only Old Once!"
(Leanne: Who is George Burns?)

ALBUM COVERS $1600: On a black background, light goes through a prism & comes out a rainbow
(Alex: Pink Floyd's album.)

ALBUM COVERS $1200: A naked baby underwater reaches towards a dollar bill on a string
(Alex: By Nirvana.)

ALBUM COVERS $800: The pink Beverly Hills Hotel, shot at sunset
(Alex: The Eagles, yes.)

A SHOW OF HANS $400: A statue of him in Central Park shows him reading from "The Ugly Duckling"

ANCIENT BATTLES $2000: It was Cor vs. Cor when this most northerly of the Ionian islands took on Corinth in ancient Greece's first naval battle
[Leanne gave both listed responses.]
(Alex: You got 'em both, by the way.)
(Leanne: Classics major, I should.)

A SHOW OF HANS $1200: We're counting on you to know that he gave his name to the device seen here

ON YOUR LEFT! $400: Left of Spain
(Rob: What is France?)

ON YOUR LEFT! $800: Left of Argentina
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jackson Hole
grist
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Congregationalist
Yosemite
Hannibal
a hoser
John Irving
Sparta
Aladdin Sane
The Mammoth Hunters
the Meistersinger
What did you give up for Lent?
qualms (or queasy)
the common
flintlock
da Vinci
David and Goliath (or the Philistines and the Israelites)
Dr. Seuss
Dark Side of the Moon
Nevermind
Hotel California
Hans Christian Andersen
Corfu (or Corcyra)
Hans Geiger
Portugal
Chile
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RELIGION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Famous Catholics who’ve publicly answered this question include Susan Boyle (sweets) & Paul Ryan (beer)

Kirstin Cutts: 9800+2801=12601
Rob Liguori: 12600+7001=19601 (New champ)
Leanne Vincent: minus 600

Correct response:
Spoiler
What did you give up for Lent?

Daily Doubles
Leanne: 1600-1600
Leanne: minus 400+1000
Leanne: 600-2000

Coryats
Kirstin: 9800
Rob: 12600
Leanne: 3600

Combined: 26,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's not every contestant that can achieve two reversals, so credit to Leanne for making "queasy" for "qualms" fly as well as the (I saw it coming immediately) Philistines & Israelites for David & Goliath.

My favorite part of the episode was the triple reaction shot when Leanne did not solve the DD in TALK LIKE A CANADIAN:
Spoiler
Some standard lit trash was up for the taking with John Irving and Longfellow and their not uncommon works used.

Sometimes the abbreviation WECIB is used for the FJ! clue response. I got it right by using that rule.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Giving things up for Lent isn't part of the Methodist tradition, so it did not come to me. No excuse, I know. But the whole game was pretty blah for me. I did join Leanne in getting a reversal for queasy.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Instaget for me, and my prediction is
Spoiler
someone on the board will lament that they could have just written "What did you give up for Lent?" without the extra "What is"
Two family guy clues in a row with Quahog and Quagmire might not have been a mistake.

Canadian Daily Double miss was definitely unfortunate, not that I have ever heard that term.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote:I did join Leanne in getting a reversal for queasy.
Same here, said it with maybe 50% confidence, but the more I thought about it the more I was convinced it fit, so I was happy with the reversal. Philistine/Israelite I didn't see coming, but the second Alex started talking I realized they didn't specify 'men'.

Down 3kish with time running out...sure, 800 clue. I'm more annoyed that they left (harharhar) the geography to die, since it looked like free money.

For the musically inclined: were those album covers easy? I shocked myself getting 4/5 in that category.

Hey, even Canadians miss Canadian clues! Also, stagette?? And WTF do you call hoodies?!?

If I had remembered that Lent starts tomorrow before the 15 second mark, FJ would've been instaget, instead of wasting a good 10-15 seconds thinking of a religiously relevant question containing the word 'vice' and 'temptation', but it still came to me with plenty of time to spare. And no Alex, I don't think she remembered Lent is tomorrow either (Iwonder how many contestants are even aware of their airdate(s) beforehand).
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

OSXpert wrote:Instaget for me, and my prediction is
Spoiler
someone on the board will lament that they could have just written "What did you give up for Lent?" without the extra "What is"
That would be me, but you beat me to it. :)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I will eagerly anticipate seeing Kirstin in the TOC!

FJ was too easy. Let us remember to use that Canadian category as an example of how the contestants are chosen without knowledge of what the categories will be and the categories are written without knowledge of who the contestants are.

I wanted to see the rest of the left category.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Well, the Jew over here was confused by the phrasing. I asked my GF "Is there a specific phrasing of the question that's supposed to be well known"? I was thrown by the fact that they were looking for the question; I assumed there had to be something more precise. "Why is this night different from all other nights?", for example, is a very specific phrasing of the question for the Seder.

I think it was a crappy FJ, sorry. But I've commented on my annoyance at religion questions before, so I guess take it with a grain of salt.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

floridagator wrote:I will eagerly anticipate seeing Kirstin in the TOC!
She's 15th with no TOC in sight, and another Teachers tourney coming up to add another automatic qualifier, so she's probably already out. The line starts at 4 days/$62401
ACW

Post by ACW »

When was the last time there was multiple reversals in a game?
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I'm not sure knowing the airdate would've helped here, since Ash Wednesday is not only not always on the same date, but not even the same month.

I'm surprised they both got it right. "How do you know God is real?" seems like an easier to come up with question for those answers, and the one I thought of.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

INstaget. Clever FJ iMHO, not a 'crappy religion clue' as noted above, so sorry but I'm ROFLMFAO @sore losers. Come on already!

45R; 'grist for the mill'; Sparta; mammoth hunters > Jean Auel. Grats to the new champ, sorry to see Kirsten step off but 5-run was 'a bridge too far.' ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

Vowela wrote:I'm not sure knowing the airdate would've helped here, since Ash Wednesday is not only not always on the same date, but not even the same month.
The Easter related dates do change from year to year but anybody going on Jeopardy! does know in advance the general timeframe for when their shows will be airing. Each contestant should definitely do the research to find out what special events and holidays are happening at that time.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I found FJ to be very easy but well phrased. However, if I were not Catholic and had not been discussing Lenten sacrifices for the past two days I have no idea how much harder I would have found it.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

xxaaaxx wrote:
floridagator wrote:I will eagerly anticipate seeing Kirstin in the TOC!
She's 15th with no TOC in sight, and another Teachers tourney coming up to add another automatic qualifier, so she's probably already out. The line starts at 4 days/$62401
I thought someone mentioned the ToC coming up in May. Or will that be the Teachers Tournament? Or neither? I don't know.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Poll question: Opus's announcement in Secret Bunker News helped me get this FJ. :D

I was kind of surprised Philistines and Israelites had to go to reversal. I recognized immediately that it was as correct an answer as the one I knew they were looking for.

I have qualms about that queasy reversal. THOSE UNEASY FEELINGS (6) was the clue. "Queasy" was the first thing I thought of but I knew that wasn't a plural noun that meant "uneasy feelings". I guess they were generous and decided the clue could be taken as a request for an adjective synonymous with "uneasy."

I was also iffy on ODDLY CHARMING (6) leading to "quaint". I think quaint implies old-fashioned and doesn't always indicate that the result is charming. Quaint is used pejoratively at least as often as it is positively. I wonder if they would have accepted my response of "quirky". It's not a perfect fit, but I don't think it's worse than "quaint".
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

goatman wrote:Clever FJ iMHO, not a 'crappy religion clue' as noted above)
The only problem I had with it was the category being too broad for the clue.
I came up with "What is your guilty pleasure?" after five seconds and I was certain that was what they were going for. I was stunned when Alex told Kirstin she had the correct response.

I precalled Kirstin's $2801 wager. Had I been in her spot, I would have bet $4199.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Interesting that we had two overturns today.

Ran Crossword Clues "Q" and Abbrev., all but Spirit in Robots.

Didn't recognize anything in that Sturbridge category. Common? Grist? Flintlock?

I thought $400 in Beastly Movies was far more obscure than the two below it.

Didn't get the first two in Canadian, which seemed very YEKIOYD. There are lots of things you can put on when you're cold that could be called a "bunny hug".

I STILL cannot for the life of me remember whether AK or HI was 49th.

WLT Jerusalem at $400?

Precalled "Nevermind" in Album Covers.

I knew Album for $1,600 was a Pink Floyd album but couldn't get The Wall out of my head in time.

I don't recognize anything at all by David Bowie, song titles or album titles.

How did the Canadian not get "hoser", eh?

I totally read "crooner of Nuremberg" as "crooner of Numberwang". Tell me that wouldn't be awesome.

Lach Trash: WHAT! IS! SPARTA!

Instaget FJ! I think I'd have gotten that even if there weren't Pączki at work.