1. Submit your entry by end of day March 13th via Google survey
2. Use your brain, not your smartphone
3. DROP one question and take zero points
4. SHEEP one question and take points for the most common answer in that round
5. Wrong answers = SHEEP (most common answer) + 5 points
6. Letter required for question #8 only
7. Last names only will be accepted
8. There are two bonus questions worth up to -2 points each. No penalty for wrong answers
9. PM me with any questions or corrections
- Captain Obvious
- Kevin S.
- Blue Lion
- Olduvai George
F - A kind of bargain that confers great benefits at an exceedingly high price
G - Tremendous in size, volume or degree
H - Requiring a huge amount of work; of extraordinary difficulty
K - Marked by a senseless, disorienting, often menacing complexity
L - Very small, tiny, diminutive
M - Acting to advance one’s goals or position through scheming, cutthroat or unethical means
N – Overly enamored with one’s self; having an inflated sense of self-importance
O - Characterized by the use of misleading language, propaganda, censorship, totalitarianism, surveillance and repression
P - Exceedingly variable; readily assuming different shapes or forms
Q - Romantic to extravagance; absurdly chivalric; apt to be deluded
S - Endless and unavailing, as labor or a task
T - Attractive and desirable, yet out of reach and causing frustration
- Common name for more than 30 species of fish belonging mainly to the family Scombridae
- One of this writer's lesser known works is A Description of the methods adopted by the Duke Valentino when murdering Vitellozzo Vitelli, Oliverotto da Fermo, the Signor Pagolo, and the Duke di Gravina Orsini (1503)
- These confections
- Be bloody, bold, and resolute. Laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.
- Type of diet associated with Zen Buddhism and based on the idea of balancing yin and yang
- Form of textile-making using knotting rather than weaving or knitting
- Character from John Gay’s The Beggar’s Opera that inspired a widely covered ballad from Brecht’s The Threepenny Opera
- Chicago-based foundation that honored Lin Manuel-Miranda with a “genius grant” in 2015
- Term first coined by Alfred Hitchcock for a plot element or other device used to create a sense of mystery and suspense, but which has little influence on the storyline
- Troubled sitcom star of the 1970s and 1980s and author of the book, Hopeful Healing: Essays on Managing Recovery & Surviving Addiction (2017)
- Brand behind this campaign created in 1994 to raise money and awareness for HIV/AIDS
- - Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as described in Revelation 6:1-8
- The four sights of Gautama Buddha
- ‘Four Corners’ states
- Instruments in a string quartet
- US presidents from the Whig party
- The Fantastic Four
- Countries bordering sharing a land border with Greece
- Nucleobase types in RNA or DNA (the letter is sufficient)
- Actresses in the Ghostbusters reboot
- Elements represented on the periodic table by a single vowel (including Y)
- Main branches of earth science
- Films that earned Katharine Hepburn an Academy Award
- Male castaways on Gilligan's Island
- Band members of Queen
- Four Freedoms articulated in FDR’s 1941 State of the Union address
Name any city in Africa that does not currently serve as the capital of a country (administrative, legislative or judicial).
6. FELINES – I have two cats: Faye and Afrikat (the street kitten who followed me home from Dakar). Name any cat from the sub-family Felinae other than the domestic cat. This excludes the sub-family Pantherinae (tiger, lion, jaguar, leopard, snow leopard and clouded leopards). Common name accepted (no bonus points for genus and species).
7. ITALY – My father's ethnic origin. Name any Italian fine visual artist, architect or filmmaker, living or dead.
8. IRELAND – My mother's ethnic origin. Name an Irish author from this list of works. LETTER REQUIRED
- A. Finnegan's Wake
B. The Second Coming
C. The Picture of Dorian Gray
D. Happy Days
F. Major Barbara
G. Circle of Friends
H. Gulliver's Travels
I. Death of a Naturalist
J. Angela's Ashes
K. The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman
L. The Beauty Queen of Leenane
10. BONUS – For up to 2 bonus points, identify the title and/or author of this epistolary novel published in 1782.
Name an iconic NYC landmark. Let iconic mean any place – real or fictional - uniquely associated with NYC and its 5 boroughs. You’d have to be way off base to answer wrong on this one.
12. CORD CUTTING – 2016 marked my emancipation from the tyranny of a monthly triple-digit bill from Verizon Fios.
Name an original series created for Netflix, Amazon or Hulu. Many possible answers, but please note: I’m looking for an episodic series, not an original film. A series that originated on another network and then continued with new episodes created for one of these platforms is fair game.
13. BONUS – I’ve run a few marathons. Last November in Philadelphia, after 6 attempts, I finally met the qualifying standard for the Boston Marathon. The Abbott World Marathon Majors, originally known as the World Marathon Majors, is a championship-style competition for marathon runners that started in 2006. The series comprises six annual races in six cities. For up to 2 bonus points, name one or both cities missing from this list: Boston, Chicago, New York City, London...