Tuesday, March 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7482, 2017-03-07

CONTESTANTS
Todd DeFilippi, a software engineer from Mountain View, California
Shawn Friend, a law library resource center director from Phoenix, Arizona
Alison Maguire-Powell, a middle school band director from Denton, Texas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $23,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. If you were watching yesterday, you will surely recall that Alison at the start of the Double Jeopardy! Round was at negative $1400, I believe, and yet came through beautifully to win the game and a lot of cash--$23,000. Shawn and Todd, good luck to you as you join us today for the first time. Here we go, players. The Jeopardy! Round with one Daily Double awaiting you in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BECKY WITH THE GOOD HAIR (5/5)
AMUSEMENT & THEME PARKS (4/4)
WAY BACK IN 2015 (5/5)
ELEMENTAL WORDS (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response begins with the name of a chemical element...)
IN THE UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOX OFFICE CHAMPS OF THE DECADE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Todd: 11 R, 0 W
Shawn: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Alison: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Todd: $3,400
Shawn: $2,600
Alison: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Todd DeFilippi is from Mountain View, California, who had a very special visit to Rome at one time. At Easter, the Pope comes out to St. Peter's Square and makes an address, and you happened to be there for one of those speeches.

Todd: I was there over the summer. We were there on a cruise ship stop. And we were there on Sunday, when most of the Vatican museums are closed, which is unfortunate. But the Pope gives his address to St. Peter's, so we figured, "Might as well." Quickly took the metro up there, stood out in the square for about two hours in the August sun.

Alex: And what's it like when you're there, surrounded by thousands and thousands of people for that kind of event?

Todd: It was very festive. There were groups from different countries leading chants and cheers, and then you got to hear him speak. I mean, it was in Latin, so I didn't understand it, but--

Alex: It doesn't matter.

Todd: I thought it was very--it was very cool if you understood Latin. Then we went back and drank a liter of water each because it was August in the 90s.

Alex: I got news for you. The Pope did the same thing.

Todd: I bet.

Alex: Shawn Friend, law library resource center director in Phoenix, Arizona, who almost got the wrong tattoo.

Shawn: I did. I have--I have my name "Friend," my last name is "Friend," in a kanji on the back of my neck, and so they made sure it was straight. My husband looked at it, and they said, "Is it straight?" And he said, "It is, but it's the wrong one." And they took him back so he could show them the right one, and he looked at the one they put on me, and it was "Dangerous." He always said he should have just let them put "Dangerous" on it. It would have been more accurate.

[Laughter]

Alex: I don't want to question you any more about your relationship with your husband. I get into enough trouble as it is.

Alex: Alison Maguire-Powell is our champion. This young lady, as we discovered yesterday, is a derby--roller derby queen. And she's also performed at the Grand Ole Opry.

Alison: It's not as exciting as it sounds.

Alex: It isn't?

Alison: I'm not, like, a country music star or anything, but in high school I was in show choir, and my show choir performed at the national championships, which is held at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville.

Alex: Was this the old Grand Ole Opry? The original--

Alison: No, this was not--

Alex: The new one.

Alison: Not the Ryman. The new one that's up the north side of town.

Alex: Not the Ryman auditorium.

Alison: Yeah.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Shawn found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Alison had $2,800, Shawn had $4,200, and Todd was at $6,800. Shawn wagered $2,000.

IN THE UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS $600: 2 items: "Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right to equal ____ for equal ____"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ELEMENTAL WORDS $200: Adjective for a statement meant to convey the opposite of its literal meaning
(Alison: What is an idiom?)

ELEMENTAL WORDS $400: A car driver who habitually puts the pedal to the metal

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Todd: $6,800
Shawn: $6,200
Alison: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
YEARS IN EUROPEAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The representative body called the Estates-General met in 1614 & didn’t meet again until this year

Alison Maguire-Powell: 4400-4400=0
Shawn Friend: 10200-1000=9200
Todd Defilippi: 22600+1983=24583 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
1789 (Alison – 1815) (Shawn – 1945)

Daily Doubles
Shawn: 4200+2000
Todd: 9200+3000
Shawn: 7800+4000

Coryats
Alison: 4400
Shawn: 6400
Todd: 21200

Combined: 32,000
MarkBarrett

Re: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

The writers were giving away bottom of the board clue today. Sunnybrook for 1K. The Dukes of Hazard for 2K.

Shawn played 2 DDs leaving money on the table both times and that helped set up the runaway for Todd. Not that it mattered since there was no need for "French Rage" as Todd had the sole solve on the FJ clue's year.

I wrote only the correct year on my paper going for the famous year of French history and best guess for what would be fair in the FJ! round while considering constitution years, Napoleon-centric years or war years.

21200 for a Coryat is an excellent debut and Slam's rule was in effect, so well done by our newish board member.

The streak of games with fewer than 61 clues played continues going back to College #8 as the last one with a complete slate revealed.

Since the college championship ended it's been a J! + DJ! total of:

As always it's the usual things that cost time with no one thing the biggest blame:
bouncing clue selections
Alex remarks
non-crisp contestant stories
long category names
full Clue Crew/Alex categories
incorrect responses
slow clue calling
TS clues
etc.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

I'm pumped to watch because honestly I remember very few of the questions asked. It's all a big blur once it's over. I do remember it being intense going into the final minute since it wasn't a runaway yet.

What is Slam's rule?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

French Rage wrote:I'm pumped to watch because honestly I remember very few of the questions asked. It's all a big blur once it's over. I do remember it being intense going into the final minute since it wasn't a runaway yet.

What is Slam's rule?
Named for board member slam, it says that someone who shows up here new to announce they're going to be on be the show, wins at least their first game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Todd: You joined the board and made your first post after your tape date. Today your show aired and you won. That invokes Slam's rule as Myron defined with many here who will not be surprised at all that you won today.

Please know you did nothing wrong with your initial post as there is a long list of others before you who gave another notch in the belt of slam's rule.

On the other side there have been some who were aware of slam's rule ahead of time and lost their first game knowing full well the posting pattern indicated success.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

You play to win the game. You don't play to just play it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can't say I've ever heard of Sam Worthington or Zoe Saldana before, which is surprising given that they were in one of the biggest films ever, and those names both seem Hawley-Smootish enough for me to remember them.

Also don't think I've ever heard of the Baltic Sea before.

"School" at $400 was undervalued. That wasn't even close to a cognate.

"Paradise Regained" was also undervalued. It's easy to think it was "Found" as a parallel to "Lost" far more easily than "Regained".

Yes, I got the Dukes of Hazzard clue.

Also NHO Garry Marshall that I recall.

Lach Trash: Ironic, leadfoot. Ended up running the Elemental category.

I know nothing about European history, so this clue meant nothing to me. 1789 means nothing to me.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I'm kinda' disappointed in Alex not expanding on why they reconvened in 1789. Seems like he usually does with that kind of clue. Dates without any context aren't all that interesting. Could've at least mentioned the French Revolution.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. French Revolution kicked off same year GW was inaugurated. Seems the Continentals were inspired by the Americans success!

47R, LT: IRONic, LEADfoot, Threadbare, Splinter Cell, George Wallace - American Independent Party; "Dall" sheep = 'Bighorn ruminant.' :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Becky (3), Amusement (3), 2015 (5), Elemental (3), Human (2), Box Office (5)
Border (4), 3 Consonant (1), TV (3), Books (1), Lives (2), Lunch (1)

Lach Trash: ironic, Jezebel

A quick get for FJ.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I was so surprised when Shawn rang in on Dall sheep. I assume she wasn't aware that she pulled close enough to avoid the runaway. I guess the very small consolation to missing FJ is that it rendered the mistake moot.

On FJ I quickly and confidently said 1798, and immediately knew that was too late. Then spent the remaining time flip flopping around different years in the 1780s.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

French Rage wrote:I'm pumped to watch because honestly I remember very few of the questions asked. It's all a big blur once it's over. I do remember it being intense going into the final minute since it wasn't a runaway yet.

What is Slam's rule?
Congrats on the win. Did Shawn show you her tattoo?

Nothing French came to me and went with 1945.

TPH....The Baltic Sea has come up on the show many times.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Todd: You joined the board and made your first post after your tape date. Today your show aired and you won. That invokes Slam's rule as Myron defined with many here who will not be surprised at all that you won today.

Please know you did nothing wrong with your initial post as there is a long list of others before you who gave another notch in the belt of slam's rule.
I didn't know Todd was French Rage, because I didn't keep track of when his game was going to air. I had Alison pegged as a one-and-done at the conclusion of Monday's game, based on her unimpressive performance in the J round. Once Shawn made that 'knife to a gunfight' DD wager in the second round, it was easy to predict who would be coming back to play the Wednesday game.
Golf

Post by Golf »

jpr281 wrote:You play to win the game. You don't play to just play it.
Yes Herm, but oddly, the majority of Jeopardy contestants do not play to win the game. I will never understand why.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Slightly disappointed at Johnny Gilbert not announcing the defending champion as "Alison 'Daughter of Sam' Maguire-Powell!"

Very strong performance by Todd/French Rage. Congratulations, sir.

Shawn had a chance thanks to getting two DDs, but underbet both. The second was especially unforgivable, and a great example of why one always bets everything when they're trailing badly (well over 2 times one's own score) and it's late. She got it correct, but was locked out, regardless.

LT: ironic, threadbare, Paradise Regained

FJ: Was instantly thinking of the 1780s, but it took me about 15-20 seconds to get the correct 1789.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Vowela wrote:I'm kinda' disappointed in Alex not expanding on why they reconvened in 1789. Seems like he usually does with that kind of clue. Dates without any context aren't all that interesting. Could've at least mentioned the French Revolution.
Good observation. I've been appreciative of the FJ clues recently for their interesting reveals and factoids. This one is lost on the majority of the audience and is painfully remindful of all the stupid Explorer and Civil War battle dates we used to be forced to memorize in grade school/junior high.

I got it once I realized the words looked French and it wasn't part of something like a Vatican counsel. First thought 1776 and then remembered it was 1789 that was common to a significant US event.

Good job Todd - you were a steady buzz saw. Paradise found! I'll trade that get for your Brothers K reply.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Congrats to Todd, well played.

I got "1789" but it was a lucky guess and I didn't have a clue. "The Estates General" didn't sound English or German, I couldn't think of anything in Spain or Portugal that would fit. I went with French and decided 1789 was a notable year.

I missed "Jezebel - Baalites" and "Lew Wallace - Ben Hur." I've learned those two before but couldn't think of them at the time and didn't get them. Once I learn something and then miss a clue about it I'm mildly embarrassed that I didn't get it and it always seems to stick from then on. I definitely feel ok with missing clues that I should know, I wish there were more of them.

Lots of television/movie clues in this game. Becky With the Good Hair had a lot of television clues, and then there was a movie category and a television category.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also don't think I've ever heard of the Baltic Sea before.
LOL:
TenPoundHammer wrote:(I negged with Baltic)
TenPoundHammer wrote:"School" at $400 was undervalued. That wasn't even close to a cognate.
It was if you've ever seen French translations of English words that begin with s-consonant (stranger -> étranger, study -> étude, state -> état, etc.) Not that it took solving a cognate to answer that clue; it's elementary French (no pun intended).
MattKnowles wrote:I missed "Jezebel - Baalites" and "Lew Wallace - Ben Hur." I've learned those two before but couldn't think of them at the time and didn't get them. Once I learn something and then miss a clue about it I'm mildly embarrassed that I didn't get it and it always seems to stick from then on. I definitely feel ok with missing clues that I should know, I wish there were more of them.
Missing out on $200,000 because of something also helps you learn it really well!
Last edited by seaborgium on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.