Tuesday, March 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by 9021amyers »

Golf wrote:
jpr281 wrote:You play to win the game. You don't play to just play it.
Yes Herm, but oddly, the majority of Jeopardy contestants do not play to win the game. I will never understand why.
"Tournament of Champions"...TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS!? You kidding me? "Tournament of Champions?"

I just hope we get a five-day champ!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

IronNeck wrote: a great example of why one always bets everything when they're trailing badly (well over 2 times one's own score) and it's late.
I can think of a great example why one shouldn't always bet everything when they're trailing badly and it's late. And it's from a very recent game.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Vowela wrote:I'm kinda' disappointed in Alex not expanding on why they reconvened in 1789. Seems like he usually does with that kind of clue. Dates without any context aren't all that interesting. Could've at least mentioned the French Revolution.
I was honestly a little surprised at the lack of explanation myself. For those who don't immediately make the Estates General = France connection, for all they know, it could have been England in regards to the United States completing its breaking away with their Constitution going into effect (the US Constitution was ratified in 1788, but didn't go into effect until 1789). But to most people in their right mind, Estates General should at least sound French.

Speaking of 1788, I unfortunately went with that for FJ. So close, but no cigar. Knew the French Revolution started in the realm of the late 1780's, just didn't realize it was the latest of the late 1780's it could be.

"Hooray! It's the Scarlet Pimpernel!" "Yes, Baldwick..." "And you killed him!"

Certainly wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to share one of my favorite Blackadder (III) quotes. :D
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Category 13 wrote:
IronNeck wrote: a great example of why one always bets everything when they're trailing badly (well over 2 times one's own score) and it's late.
I can think of a great example why one shouldn't always bet everything when they're trailing badly and it's late. And it's from a very recent game.
Sure, link it.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

Thanks everyone!

- I didn't remember 80% of this until he read the clue and then I was like "wait I think I got this one". Though there were a few I thought I got that I didn't and a few I got I didn't recall.
- Proudest of Brothers Karamazov, I did some brief wiki-studying of Tolstoy and Doestoyetsky(sp) before, and somehow remembered enough.
- The Australia DD, I was afraid that was too obvious, so I wasn't sure of it. Thus my reluctance to give it as an answer and my relief it was right.
- Yeah Dukes of Hazzard is an odd 2K question.
- Yeah there was a lot of TV/movie stuff in this one, and that played to my strength. I knew what Speechless was but I have not watched on second of it.
- Knotts Scary Farm was a shot in the dark I figured hey it rhymes who not give it a shot. Kind of an odd question though.

- I never mentioend Easter at all in the interview description. No idea where Alex got that. I think he likes to try to make it more interesting when he prompts you.

- Man I was really licking my lips during the closing credits.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Looks like this FJ played a lot easier than I expected it to based on the early responses. I thought it was pretty tough. I guessed 1945.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

French Rage wrote: - Knotts Scary Farm was a shot in the dark I figured hey it rhymes who not give it a shot. Kind of an odd question though.
I guessed "Knotts Booberry Farm", ending a streak of 11 or 12 correct to start the show. I maintain that my answer is better!
French Rage wrote: - Man I was really licking my lips during the closing credits.
Ready to eat more hapless challengers?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

IronNeck wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
Sure, link it.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4033
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

IronNeck wrote: Ready to eat more hapless challengers?
Thirsty as hell! Speaking of which, I barely got through saying "Universal Declaration of Human Rights" since my mouth was so dry.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Category 13 wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
Sure, link it.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4033
Do you mean Kate betting $200 when she could have bet $2,000? Her practically all-in DD bet before that was fine.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $27,600
36 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: leadfoot, threadbare, splinter

Congrats on the win, Todd. Best of retroluck going forward. My Pavlov skills failed me in FJ! I remembered that the French Revolution began in important year in early American history, but I went with 1776 rather than 1789.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

IronNeck wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
Sure, link it.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4033
Do you mean Kate betting $200 when she could have bet $2,000? Her practically all-in DD bet before that was fine.
Yes, betting all $200 gave her a seat back stage while Final Jeopardy played out. She was hopelessly out of it when that last DD came up.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The innominate situation reared its head. By the last clue, Shawn desperately needed that $2000 to keep the new champ from having a runaway. But Allison very quickly rang in and sealed her own and Shawn's doom. But the way FJ played out, it didn't matter.

The innominate situation is when a player in second needs to score high enough to prevent a lock by first place (second needs to be a least 50% of first) but the third place player comes to life and prevents second from achieving that score.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Congrats, Todd. Definitely one of the stronger performances in the last few weeks. Well deserved.

Settled on 1945 too early, then worried about Versailles in 1919. Should have thought of actual French rage. Has anyone ever picked a handle based on the FJ clue for their first game?

The one picture my wife and I have from the Hall of Mirrors (which seems more like a hall of metal that needs constant polishing) - it was packed, took three hours just to get out of the courtyard and into the palace - not that many opportunities to create a photo. So I saw an opportunity, took a few steps forward, turned and quickly snapped a shot. We looked at it later, and some strange middle-aged guy was giving her the most openly lascivious look. We could not stop laughing, but that's always how we'll remember Versailles. Vive la France.

Every time someone hits the DD and there's some worry about a runaway, I always wonder why they don't bet it all (or all minus 1). What's the point of leaving a few thousand to battle for second when missing means there's no chance of winning anyway?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to our new champ, but because of an "error" in this week's Howdies video, I knew this was going to happen two days ago.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Berry/scary seems to be another case of words that rhyme in some dialects that have a vowel merger and most definitely do not in others.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congrats, Todd. I kind of assumed Slam's Rule was in effect, so I was happy to see it borne out. It's been all too rare for contestants to show up here lately, so your presence is especially appreciated. Hope you stick around!
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

Adding my congratulations to Todd—always nice to see a boardie win, though I did find Daughter of Sam rather adorable.

I had guessed Knott’s Bury Farm.

It was 100% due to Coach that I knew the answer to the Watery Border question on Albania.
Spoiler
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

doriko wrote: It was 100% due to Coach that I knew the answer to the Watery Border question on Albania.
Same here. I sang it just like Coach, and my wife (unaware of the reference) looked at me like I was crazy. Only the second time she gave me that look that day, so overall an improvement for me!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

French Rage wrote: - Knotts Scary Farm was a shot in the dark I figured hey it rhymes who not give it a shot. Kind of an odd question though.
They're prone to throwing out clues that only folks in LA would know. It doesn't happen often - maybe a couple times a year - but at the same time, they throw in stuff from other regions as well.