Tuesday, March 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Re: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:51 am

Elijah Baley wrote:
French Rage wrote: - Knotts Scary Farm was a shot in the dark I figured hey it rhymes who not give it a shot. Kind of an odd question though.
They're prone to throwing out clues that only folks in LA would know. It doesn't happen often - maybe a couple times a year - but at the same time, they throw in stuff from other regions as well.
Just like every time they have a clue on Jamba Juice, Del Taco, or Der Wienerschnitzel. And I live in one of the only two states east of the Mississippi that actually has a Del Taco.

Except in this game ("Weather" for $1,600), where "better-than-breakfast restaurant" was supposed to lead you to Waffle House, of which there are exactly zero in CA. I figured West Coast bias on IHOP/Denny's/Marie Callender's/JB's, or if they were going to avert it, Bob Evans/Perkins, or in between with Big Boy (historically associated with CA, but 99% of the remaining ones are in MI).
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:02 am

JayK33 wrote:Congrats to our new champ, but because of an "error" in this week's Howdies video, I knew this was going to happen two days ago.
Where do you see the howdy videos? (And what was the error?)

Also, did last night's episode not have the quick shot of us during the commercial break between DJ and FJ, or did I just miss it?

French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:03 am

doriko wrote:Adding my congratulations to Todd—always nice to see a boardie win, though I did find Daughter of Sam rather adorable.
Yeah, if there was anyone I was rooting for it was Alison, so unfortunately I had to go up against her.

The means, though, that both people held over from the previous day got at least one win in, so maybe there's something to be said about not getting called up your first day.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:28 pm

doriko wrote:It was 100% due to Coach that I knew the answer to the Watery Border question on Albania.
Spoiler
Show
phpBB [video]
Me too!

Also, +1 for wishing Alex had offered some sort of explanation for FJ, though I suppose there's something to be said for leaving countless viewers wondering how French Rage (congrats! btw) magically guessed the correct year out of hundreds of possibilities. Finally, I have an excuse to post a page from a comic book I saw a while ago: this is how some people think Jeopardy works.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:04 pm

(late to the party. on vacation last week and catching up. 8 episodes in 2 days, I feel like a contestant!)

To French Rage: bien joué!

FJ was unscrutable (sic). I scribbled 1789 then spent the rest of the think music wondering what happened in 1614.

I got George Wallace thanks to the recent TD 'Center Stage'

Leadfoot? If you say so.

Alex on the Coral Sea DD: 'You worked that one out beautifully!" Said twice now in consecutive episodes.. (Incidentally Coral Sea is something I just learned from the Archive.)

Ack! I always confuse Ben Hur and Chariots of Fire because there's a chariot race in Ben Hur!! Doh! Recently watched Chariots of Fire because I had no idea what it was about it, but that didn't help apparently. The film did teach me that My Country 'Tis of Thee uses the music from God Save the Queen. Had no idea.

From where I was sitting, Alison would have done better but lost her buzzer mojo. Not fair to write her off for fumbling in the first round of her first game. She seems pretty sharp to me.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:08 pm

morbeedo wrote:
FJ was inscrutable. I scribbled 1789 then spent the rest of the think music wondering what happened in 1614.
Seems like you scruted it just fine... ;)

snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:40 am

The 1614 part really threw me off for awhile as well. I landed on "30 years war", but then convinced myself (correctly, as it turns out) that was 1618-1648, not 1614.

Finally gave up on the 1614 part, realized "Estates-General" sounded French, and got to 1789 at the last second.

animfan
Contributor

Post by animfan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:57 pm

floridagator wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:01 am
The innominate situation reared its head. By the last clue, Shawn desperately needed that $2000 to keep the new champ from having a runaway. But Allison very quickly rang in and sealed her own and Shawn's doom. But the way FJ played out, it didn't matter.

The innominate situation is when a player in second needs to score high enough to prevent a lock by first place (second needs to be a least 50% of first) but the third place player comes to life and prevents second from achieving that score.
Shawn should have stayed clam on the $2,000 clue in pack lunch.