Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

theamazingchong
Valued Contributor
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by theamazingchong »

"Nunnery" was my only miss in the rightmost column tonight, so that was on my mind going into FJ; 'twas just a hop, skip, and jump to get to Vatican City. I guess what goes around comes around.

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I got FJ right, but I thought that Nauru mostly had (male) phosphate miners, but figured that there would be enough permanent families there for there to be more than 32 women.

User avatar
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:57 pm
Location: Simpsonville, SC

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by SBurrus »

I got Vatican City...but when I said the answer out loud in a room where only my dog was around, I said it as "What is Vatican City????????????????". It seemed the only country with a small enough population where there would only be 32 women.

I did get Ann Taylor correct...probably the high point of this game for me, aside from FJ. The 90s R&B category was tough...I couldn't recall Color Me Baad (although I do have that album on cassette) but did get En Vogue (I have that album on cassette, too).

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:20 pm

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by danspartan »

Golf wrote:It was really great seeing contestants actually realize what was necessary in order to win and then wager everything on all three DD's. And then tempered somewhat by dreadful wagers from both Annie and Serena in FJ. I'm thinking had the clue omitted the word "citizenry" that it would have been a triple solve.

IronNeck - consider the merit of a $7001 wager from Serena in FJ if she didn't want to wager 0.
$5,400 even better--Annie is going to bet at least $1,601 to cover Serena. Her miss leaves $14,999. Thats probably optimal since Serena is well less than 50% to get it right if 1st and 2nd both miss. No reason for Annie to go over $7,000. (And I'd argue the same as above--if you have the option; when you are counting misses in FJ, then go on the smaller end of your range.)

Great game overall. FJ seemed like an auto-get to me. Small, mostly men that don't marry. EZ.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
The DD in Nixon struck me as very YEKIOYD. Just pick two random big newspapers.
The NY Times would be a pretty obvious guess as it is the country's best known paper. The Post was the one that broke the Watergate story in addition to being based in Washington and likely having a strong political reporting staff.

Only one person got that FJ?
I dunno. I heard from a highly place government figure that the NYT is a "failing newspaper." Perhaps that was mistaken.

And seriously?? 11 women in Saudi Arabia??? Woof.

User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zakharov wrote:Hot take: Saudi Arabia wasn't that bad a guess if you focused on "citizenry." It's not unreasonable to think Saudi women might not be full citizens.
That thought also made me double-clutch Vatican City as a response - I figured it had some nuns residing there (I thing the entire population is about, what, 1000?), but are they actually "citizens" rather than "residents"? Does the Vatican actually have citizens? But I stuck with VC, having nothing better.

(BTW, I discovered from reading that the Vatican does not have a passport stamp available, even though it is a separate "country." So much for getting it in my passport!)

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

John Boy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
The DD in Nixon struck me as very YEKIOYD. Just pick two random big newspapers.
The NY Times would be a pretty obvious guess as it is the country's best known paper. The Post was the one that broke the Watergate story in addition to being based in Washington and likely having a strong political reporting staff.

Only one person got that FJ?
I dunno. I heard from a highly place government figure that the NYT is a "failing newspaper."
It helps to be owned by the richest man in the world, but there is no question that the NYT has been bleeding money for a long time. In addition to a 95.7 percent fall in quarterly profit, they recently decided to sublease 8 whole floors of their building.

There is a reason NYT (Slim) and WaPo (Bezos) are owned by the world's biggest billionaires; they're the only ones who can afford the huge monetary losses associated with them. And for whom there are clear benefits, courtesy of their enormous multinational corporations.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4916
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had no idea that Ann Taylor wasn't a real person.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7016
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

davey wrote:Looking at a couple of different rankings of worst places for women, Saudi Arabia doesn't make the top 10. (Nor does the Vatican!...)
But in a survey of worst places by perception, it's number 1.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr ... perception
I'm not sure what you were looking at, but Saudi Arabia was #1 in that list.
IronNeck wrote:It helps to be owned by the richest man in the world, but there is no question that the NYT has been bleeding money for a long time. In addition to a 95.7 percent fall in quarterly profit, they recently decided to sublease 8 whole floors of their building..
You need to brush up on your business terms. For the year, The Times reported an operating profit of $101 million and net income of $24 million. While greatly reduced from previous years, they are hardly 'bleeding money'. Yes, they have some restructuring to accomplish, but their digital subscriptions are showing strong growth.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

StevenH wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
JayK33 wrote:
StevenH wrote:For FJ I debated between Pitcairn Island and South Sudan, and went with the latter.
Good guesses, though.

I guess sometimes limited knowledge in a field isn't a bad thing. Had I had a wider range of options in my head instead of just the well-known Vatican City, I would have probably picked the wrong one as well.
Well, someone has to be the smart aleck to point out that one of those isn't a country and the other has a population of more than 12 million.
I didn't interpret the clue as implying that the report had to be accurate or close to accurate.

But yeah, my bad on Pitcairn being a dependency. I don't know why I didn't think of the Vatican, being that it is the world's smallest country and all.
I don't think it makes any sense to question the veracity of the report. Because if we were supposed to think that the report might not be accurate, or even close to accurate, then we would be in TPH-land: The correct response could be any country in the world!! :lol:

User avatar
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!
Posts: 1430
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm
Location: Calvert, Maryland

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

Going over notes IJR TPTB acc: "Johnson" for LBJ, anyone else catch that?! Soon will be acc to say Adams and Harrison, might as well just acc "the dude that came after JFK!?" :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3769
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:
davey wrote:Looking at a couple of different rankings of worst places for women, Saudi Arabia doesn't make the top 10. (Nor does the Vatican!...)
But in a survey of worst places by perception, it's number 1.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr ... perception
I'm not sure what you were looking at, but Saudi Arabia was #1 in that list.
?? That's what I said, and my sole point. We're talking about perception here.

Here's a list by actual criteria-
http://247wallst.com/special-report/201 ... z3KUPVj81M

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4916
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

goatman wrote:Going over notes IJR TPTB acc: "Johnson" for LBJ, anyone else catch that?! Soon will be acc to say Adams and Harrison, might as well just acc "the dude that came after JFK!?" :roll:
Do you remember the exact wording of the clue? My recollection is it was pretty clear they were looking for a 1960s President, so Andrew Johnson wasn't really a contender.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7016
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

davey wrote:
alietr wrote:
davey wrote:Looking at a couple of different rankings of worst places for women, Saudi Arabia doesn't make the top 10. (Nor does the Vatican!...)
But in a survey of worst places by perception, it's number 1.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr ... perception
I'm not sure what you were looking at, but Saudi Arabia was #1 in that list.
?? That's what I said, and my sole point. We're talking about perception here.

Here's a list by actual criteria-
http://247wallst.com/special-report/201 ... z3KUPVj81M
My lack of reading comprehension. Apologies. I saw 'doesn't make the top 10 ...' and prematurely jumped on it.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

alietr wrote:
You need to brush up on your business terms. For the year, The Times reported an operating profit of $101 million and net income of $24 million. While greatly reduced from previous years, they are hardly 'bleeding money'. Yes, they have some restructuring to accomplish, but their digital subscriptions are showing strong growth.
I'm all brushed up on business terms considering I'm an economist for a living, thanks. I don't trust NYT's self-reporting on their financials (for a litany of reasons that I can elucidate upon if anyone is genuinely interested) for a nanosecond, and "operating profit" is a misleading, easily manipulated quantity, anyways; Net Operating Profit After Tax (NOPAT) is much better, among other financials.

Let's apply some common sense here. Would a company who is doing well vacate 8 whole floor of their building and in the process note that "we will have to move about 400 employees out of the building to nearby office space while the first phase of work is completed. "?

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

goatman wrote:Going over notes IJR TPTB acc: "Johnson" for LBJ, anyone else catch that?! Soon will be acc to say Adams and Harrison, might as well just acc "the dude that came after JFK!?" :roll:
They never BMS Johnson (either one).

Kennedy, however...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7038
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote: Let's apply some common sense here. Would a company who is doing well vacate 8 whole floor of their building and in the process note that "we will have to move about 400 employees out of the building to nearby office space while the first phase of work is completed. "?
Much better to keep those floors occupied while "the first phase of work is proceeding."

rpg
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:34 pm

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by rpg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zakharov wrote:Hot take: Saudi Arabia wasn't that bad a guess if you focused on "citizenry." It's not unreasonable to think Saudi women might not be full citizens.
That thought also made me double-clutch Vatican City as a response - I figured it had some nuns residing there (I thing the entire population is about, what, 1000?), but are they actually "citizens" rather than "residents"? Does the Vatican actually have citizens? But I stuck with VC, having nothing better.

(BTW, I discovered from reading that the Vatican does not have a passport stamp available, even though it is a separate "country." So much for getting it in my passport!)
You become a citizen of Vatican City by working in some certain capacities for the Church (and then lose it when you leave your post). My favorite related piece of trivia is that if you have no other citizenship besides Vatican City, you become an Italian citizen when you lose your Vatican citizenship. If you ever wanted to move to Italy, here's a convoluted way to do it.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,400
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: terminator, Ann Taylor, New York Times & Washington Post, Pentagon Papers, Mercury

Very well-played game. I can't remember the last time we saw three TDDs in the same game. I loved the FJ! clue. Once you think it through it becomes a real WECIB, but if you don't stop to ask yourself how a nation-state's population could be virtually all-male, it could be tricky.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2569
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

Instagot Vatican, WECIB WaPo/NYT, blanked on JFK/RFK

There was def something weird about this game. Rachel was sharp as a tack but registered as a flatline / barely there. At first, waving Annie looked like she was going down in flames but then she turned it around BIGLY .... and I still didn't care. That said, I appreciate games with 3 female contestants but I do wish the show would feature more people of color. Seems like their idea of diversity is throwing a few Canadians in the mix :P Whoa, I am wildly off-topic tonight!

Nixon / Watergate is a black hole for me. Gotta sit down and look at all that.

Who was the guy with the eye-patch?

Would just Scottish have been acceptable?

Black swan seemed very random?

NHO the phrase "bolt upright". I said "up"

I listened to a lot of music in the 90s but I really struggle to connect the dots from lyrics to song to artist with no music. Kept negging with Destiny's Child even though I know all those songs!

Post Reply