Any whole-game themes I'm not aware of?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Any whole-game themes I'm not aware of?

Post by Leaper »

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Any whole-game themes I'm not aware of?

Post by IronNeck »

Wow, I would have been absolutely incensed if I was on that show, despite movies being one of my absolute strongest categories. I hate any clue, let alone FJ, that is dependent on knowing a subjectively determined, award unrelated list. And with the number of movies to sift through, and the vagueness of the clue, you're only getting that clue if you have looked at the AFI list...no matter how knowledgeable you are about the movies themselves.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

November 13, 1987 — the J Round categories begin with "A" and the others begin with "T" (as a tribute to Alex)
December 22, 1987 — the first category is STARTS WITH "H", which all of the other categories do (Harry Eisenberg, who wrote that entire game, said in his book that this gimmick was used occasionally)
[Edit: Similarly, November 24, 1989 had STARTS WITH "M" and twelve other categories that did just that.]
April 1, 1997 — the J Round is Wheel of Fortune–themed (since Pat Sajak is guest hosting), the DJ Round is April Fools' Day–themed, and FJ had the jokey category TRINIDADIAN AMATEUR ICHTHYOLOGISTS
Last edited by cheezguyty on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cheezguyty wrote:November 13, 1987 — the J Round categories begin with "A" and the others begin with "T" (as a tribute to Alex)
December 22, 1987 — the first category is STARTS WITH "H", which all of the other categories do (Harry Eisenberg, who wrote that entire game, said in his book that this gimmick was used occasionally)
April 1, 1997 — the J Round is Wheel of Fortune–themed (since Pat Sajak is guest hosting), the DJ Round is April Fools' Day–themed, and FJ had the jokey category TRINIDADIAN AMATEUR ICHTHYOLOGISTS
That last one is more two (or three) gimmicks in one game, rather than one gimmick in the whole game.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

IronNeck wrote:I hate any clue, let alone FJ, that is dependent on knowing a subjectively determined, award unrelated list. And with the number of movies to sift through, and the vagueness of the clue, you're only getting that clue if you have looked at the AFI list...no matter how knowledgeable you are about the movies themselves.
You don't need to know the list. Famous movie with two extremely memorable quotes that come in fairly rapid succession at the end of the film. If I recall correctly, it was a near-instaget for me.
davey

Post by davey »

trainman wrote:
IronNeck wrote:I hate any clue, let alone FJ, that is dependent on knowing a subjectively determined, award unrelated list. And with the number of movies to sift through, and the vagueness of the clue, you're only getting that clue if you have looked at the AFI list...no matter how knowledgeable you are about the movies themselves.
You don't need to know the list. Famous movie with two extremely memorable quotes that come in fairly rapid succession at the end of the film. If I recall correctly, it was a near-instaget for me.
I don't recall, but I got it quickly just now. Probably easier if you grew up when GWTW was a widely seen and beloved movie. Not so popular these days, I don't think.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

IronNeck wrote:
Wow, I would have been absolutely incensed if I was on that show, despite movies being one of my absolute strongest categories. I hate any clue, let alone FJ, that is dependent on knowing a subjectively determined, award unrelated list. And with the number of movies to sift through, and the vagueness of the clue, you're only getting that clue if you have looked at the AFI list...no matter how knowledgeable you are about the movies themselves.
I have never seen the movie. Nor have I ever seen the list.

So, I guess I had no chance of getting that clue.

Then why was it an instaget?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Hmm, fair enough; I've seen Gone with the Wind between 5-10 times, consider it one of the best movies of the 1930s, and the book one of the best of the 20th century, but wouldn't necessarily assume Rhett's quote would be number one (merely that it would be top 10, alongside many other attractive candidates), nevermind that Scarlett's would be number 31.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

IronNeck wrote:Hmm, fair enough; I've seen Gone with the Wind between 5-10 times, consider it one of the best movies of the 1930s, and the book one of the best of the 20th century, but wouldn't necessarily assume Rhett's quote would be number one (merely that it would be top 10, alongside many other attractive candidates), nevermind that Scarlett's would be number 31.
You can be aware of things that exist, knowing that stuff like Casablanca and Citizen Kane and GWTW are generally considered among the greatest films of all time, even if you've never seen them, or never pored over the AFI lists. Similarly it's pretty easy to have a general awareness of what are often considered the greatest/most memorable film quotes. You didn't have to know that those quotes were exactly #1 or #31, as mentioned, it was the fact that they are both very famous and both come close together at the end of the film. It certainly won't be a slam dunk for every player, Casablanca would be the the most likely candidate for a wrong answer, I would think, but to say that no one could solve this without knowing the list exactly is a bit of an overstatement.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Wasn't there a time when a DJ category had its responses as five of the six weapons of Clue, but in a category that had nothing to do with Clue, and the FJ was to ask for the sixth weapon?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Wasn't there a time when a DJ category had its responses as five of the six weapons of Clue, but in a category that had nothing to do with Clue, and the FJ was to ask for the sixth weapon?
Close. THIS'LL KILL YA!, in DJ. June 6, 2002.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1459

FJ was COMMON BONDS, a triple get correct response of Clue.

But, let's pose your question anyway. Which weapon isn't mentioned, and was probably the extra, unused clue for that category?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote:
I got to "Frankly, my dear..." but couldn't for the life of me think of another famous quote from GwtW. Even though I know that Mitchell originally titled the book Tomorrow Is Another Day.

Probably because the slot in my brain for "tomorrow is another day" has "And I'm thirsty anyway, so bring on the rain" right after it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Wasn't there a time when a DJ category had its responses as five of the six weapons of Clue, but in a category that had nothing to do with Clue, and the FJ was to ask for the sixth weapon?

But, let's pose your question anyway. Which weapon isn't mentioned, and was probably the extra, unused clue for that category?
Was it a Beatles album?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

bpmod wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:

Was it a Beatles album?

Brian
It would have to have been, wouldn't it?

I also have recollection of a miscellaneous type category where the players were told to pick the clues in order. The first 4 responses were Q, U, I, and Z, but the players didn't get to the bottom clue. I bet I know what it was, though.

But I'm getting off topic.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

jeff6286 wrote:Similarly it's pretty easy to have a general awareness of what are often considered the greatest/most memorable film quotes.
How is this even remotely related to answering the FJ? The entire difficulty, without knowing the AFI List, is that there are at least 5 movies that can fit the bill, and correctly parsing out which one it is and writing down the response in 30 seconds is anything but "pretty easy".

Two contestants went with Casablanca, which has at least two very famous quotes, and is a reasonable choice. I can see wasting precious seconds considering The Godfather and yes, even Citizen Kane. The Graduate would also make me think about how far apart "plastics" and "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?" were in the picture. I can see considering Star Wars, too.

Props to those that stated they got Gone with the Wind instantly, but with all the other viable candidates, unless you actually knew the AFI List, you won a slot machine in considering it first.
Last edited by IronNeck on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Back on topic, this game

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3175

was a tribute to recently deceased Jeopardy writer Stephen Dorfman, with every catergory being written by him.

There's also a game where every clue used the name John somehow I think.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

IronNeck wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Similarly it's pretty easy to have a general awareness of what are often considered the greatest/most memorable film quotes.
How is this even remotely related to answering the FJ? The entire difficulty, without knowing the AFI List, is that there are at least 5 movies that can fit the bill, and correctly parsing out which one it is and writing down the response in 30 seconds is anything but "pretty easy".

Two contestants went with Casablanca, which has at least two very famous quotes, and is a reasonable choice. I can see wasting precious seconds considering The Godfather and yes, even Citizen Kane. The Graduate would also make me think about how far apart "plastics" and "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?" were in the picture. I can see considering Star Wars, too.

Props to those that stated they got Gone with the Wind instantly, but with all the other viable candidates, unless you actually knew the AFI List, you won a slot machine in considering it first.
Not sure if you're not remembering the whole clue or if you just like to argue, but the clue referenced the last line of the film. I've seen Star Wars plenty of times and have no idea what the last line is, but I'm fairly certain it's not famous. I also don't know the last lines of the godfather or the Graduate, or if they are at all well-known. I think Casablanca is a very reasonable miss. With time to think about it I feel most players would get to either Casablanca or gone with the wind. Plenty of people in this thread mention that they got to the correct response rather easily. There's no shame in missing it, but it also isn't the miracle you seem to think to figure it out.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:
IronNeck wrote:... more of the same ...
Not sure if [...] you just like to argue, ...
Really? Go back and re-read his posts.

Brian

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Back on topic, this game

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3175

was a tribute to recently deceased Jeopardy writer Stephen Dorfman, with every catergory being written by him.

There's also a game where every clue used the name John somehow I think.
It's a halfie, so I did not bring it up earlier. Knowing where to look makes it easier to find.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5019

The explanation of what went on is at clue 1 of the DJ! round.