Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm
Location: East Amherst, New York
Contact:

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

alietr wrote:No comment yet on the number of unrevealed clues on the DJ board? I think it was 7. I know Francis hesitated before picking, but it couldn't have been that bad, and the pace of the game seemed pretty reasonable.

Sorry to see you lose, Francis, but I'm pretty sure you had a good time after that long wait. And I have to admit stunned me after I was expressing dismay to my TV set after the Jeopardy round DD. $200?!??! When you're in the hole?!?? Acquitted herself nicely, I must say.
I personally had alarms ringing in my head, $200 on a cheaper DD when you're down $800. The worst she could've done is go back to the -$1800 she had. I was like, what kind of purpose did that wager even have? I wonder if she had no confidence after missing several in a row.

Personally, I got FJ, but was not impressed at all at the results. Francis shot himself in the foot in a couple important places. My gut says we will not be seeing him in the next ToC, and I don't see Ann winning tonight.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

alietr wrote:No comment yet on the number of unrevealed clues on the DJ board? I think it was 7. I know Francis hesitated before picking, but it couldn't have been that bad, and the pace of the game seemed pretty reasonable.
A combo of some slow category picking(some people earlier in this thread noticed that), a few incorrect responses, the Clue Crew extravaganza Museum category in round one with their ultra long clues took up a bit of time, and the classical music category with the music in round two as well, all added up to seven unplayed clues.

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

No spoiler about the 11/25 gameplay, but at the top of today's show, ALex cites one category as turning the game around in Ann's favor on yesterday's game, when in fact it was the DD's that pretty much won her the game and kept Francis from getting a more likely spot in the TofC.

nagnasnalf
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:02 am

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by nagnasnalf »

First off, I have to hand it to Ann for not giving up. Despite her slow start, she made up for it in DJ. A number of factors contributed to her winning: picking up both DDs; getting categories she was well familiar with; me having several brain farts. After she answered the 2nd DD correctly and saw she was $200 ahead of me, I kinda panicked and lost concentration. It didn't occur to me at the time to go for the bigger $$$ values in geographic meanings or the other category left. Sometimes, the fog of war can make you lose sight of what's going on, and I think that's kinda what happened with me.

As for lunch, I had a salad. I didn't want anything to heavy to eat. I do admit after the 4th game, I was mentally drained. Part of me was glad that I wouldn't have to come back the next day. I could spend the rest of my time in LA with my wife and just relax. In fact, we visited the Reagan Presidential Library the day after I lost and had an awesome culinary experience at Tom Colicchio's restaurant, Craft (which had been recommended to me by a fellow Jeopardy! contestant the first time I went out to LA to tape).

On a side note, of all the contestants in our pool, Sean McGuire was the first one I met that morning when I got to the studio. He's genuinely a nice, down-to-earth kind of guy.

There is a part of me that wishes I had won the 4th game. I believe things happen for a reason. If Jeopardy! asks me to be on the next ToC, that would just be icing on the cake. If not, I'll always have 80,000 reasons to be thankful for my 3-day run.
Spoiler
I'm interested in seeing how Kendra does this evening. She is a beast!
Last edited by dhkendall on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags - dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
nagnasnalf wrote: I'm interested in seeing how Kendra does this evening. She is a beast!
SHe got lucky in her first game as we know because of the second placer's much talked about FJ! wager from second place. But we'll see how she does, whether or not the 20 second blurb spoilers on the Sony site tell us whether she wins or not. And of course, Ann's almost true DD's kept you from a possible TofC berth :/
Last edited by dhkendall on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added spoiler tags - dhkendall

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

nagnasnalf wrote:
Spoiler
I'm interested in seeing how Kendra does this evening. She is a beast!
legendneverdies wrote:
Spoiler
SHe got lucky in her first game as we know because of the second placer's much talked about FJ! wager from second place. But we'll see how she does, whether or not the 20 second blurb spoilers on the Sony site tell us whether she wins or not. And of course, Ann's almost true DD's kept you from a possible TofC berth :/
A gentle reminder. Some people read these threads between watching the game being discussed and watching subsequent games (myself included). Please do not post ANY future game spoilers in the spoiler thread for a given game. I just watched Friday's game earlier today (after having a very busy Friday, Saturday and early Sunday morning), but normally continue to watch any given day's thread before watching the episodes that follow, even if they have aired days before.

Thanks

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8777
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Thursday, November 24, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
nagnasnalf wrote:
Spoiler
I'm interested in seeing how Kendra does this evening. She is a beast!
legendneverdies wrote:
Spoiler
SHe got lucky in her first game as we know because of the second placer's much talked about FJ! wager from second place. But we'll see how she does, whether or not the 20 second blurb spoilers on the Sony site tell us whether she wins or not. And of course, Ann's almost true DD's kept you from a possible TofC berth :/
A gentle reminder. Some people read these threads between watching the game being discussed and watching subsequent games (myself included). Please do not post ANY future game spoilers in the spoiler thread for a given game. I just watched Friday's game earlier today (after having a very busy Friday, Saturday and early Sunday morning), but normally continue to watch any given day's thread before watching the episodes that follow, even if they have aired days before.

Thanks

Brian
I have taken an oath to use my mod powers for good instead of evil (*or, barring that, to make small animals dance). Therefore I ahve edited the two posts accordingly by adding spoiler tags.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Post Reply