Tuesday, March 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MattKnowles »

I thought the clues in this game were a little easier than usual. Maybe it was just good categories for me. 42R.

I got Final Jeopardy right away. I thought about Japan, Tokyo, Honshu, that didn't work. Then I got Java and Jakarta. Great Britain and London also crossed my mind. I didn't think about Taiwan and Taipei that might have thrown me off.

I'll need to remember that Cassiopeia is the mother of Andromeda, I sort of knew that.

I don't know what the ancients were thinking. This is the most ridiculous constellation I can imagine:

I didn't know Bob La Follette. He's come up more than a dozen times in the Archive. I wonder if I'll get it next time now.

Really close game. Congrats to the winner.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I spent way too long during FJ contemplating whether or not Honshu changed its name to something beginning with a T, but still came up with Jakarta in time.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So how did everyone but me know to go to Jakarta? This clue just seemed insanely wide open with nothing to narrow it down.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I knew that I would catch some grief for the DD bets here. For the first one, I was just really uncertain about the category. It wasn't until the very last second that I came up with Bianca. I instantly thought of Kate and then was scrambling desperately for a name that sounded Shakespearean but could mean "white". I know my Shakespeare plays but the characters are much harder for me (had Duncan in my head but couldn't pull the trigger).

On the last DD, I just plain screwed up the math under pressure. I wanted to get myself in the lead without putting myself out of contention. It should have been a little bigger to guarantee the lead regardless of the final question but clearly I didn't do that...oops.

For FJ, I instantly thought of Jakarta thinking that it was almost certainly on Java, then jumped to Tokyo but realized that Honshu didn't work. I then spent 25 seconds assuming I was right but desperately afraid that there was some large island that I had somehow forgotten.

Lolita's buzzer speed was incredible, I felt very grateful to have enough questions in my wheelhouse (which seemed to match perfectly with Jessica's wheelhouse) that I could overcome that. Although my biggest regret was missing Easter Island when Jessica beat me to it.

It took plenty of luck but it's such an honour to have won a game. By the end, I even got my legs to stop shaking!
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

I was doing some google/wikipedia research and apparently as of 2010 the largest city on Taiwan is called "New Taipei", not to be confused with Taipei.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So how did everyone but me know to go to Jakarta? This clue just seemed insanely wide open with nothing to narrow it down.
As a trivia non-expert, I went directly to Indonesia because I knew from a fellow softball player that it was the fourth largest nation that nobody has ever heard of (and it still is). My teammate was a local College President and an expert on the strongman Suharto in the early 80's.

BUT - I couldn't find the pathway to the answer. I knew Java was an island (one of thousands, and the home of a likely fake ancestor to Homo Sapiens) but couldn't tease out the relationship as a Capital. I couldn't fit Japan, and didn't think of Taipei or I would have picked it. Did the math on London/England and surrendered. Sadly settled for Honolulu, knowing that Hawaii was only one island and not knowing if a state capital would fit the clue.

I would have figured to be a small group of misses until someone pointed out the Taipei negbait.

Tough game for Jessica, she just seemed to get out to a slow start. Glad to root for a boardie now.

To answer your question, TPH, I think the folks here also know that Indonesia is the fourth largest nation and they are clever enough to combine Java and Jakarta. It still seems a little bogus when you have multiple islands to sort out, like Japan - do you count the group or just the single geographic body?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So how did everyone but me know to go to Jakarta? This clue just seemed insanely wide open with nothing to narrow it down.
Most populous gets you to Asia but I got stranded on Singapore :?

Agree these clues were on the easier side, but I hated the other side of the world.

I'd like to think I would've nailed final if I hadn't taken that second pour of bourbon after dinner.

Ran Shakespeare. On the DD, kept mulling over Kate / Katherine then landed on Bianca. Last time I remember Duncan coming up, it was also a TS. Sad!
  1. Lady Macbeth, Act I, Scene V
    The raven himself is hoarse
    That croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan
    Under my battlements.
Winnebago was a jumble of w's, b's and g's in my head. Couldn't get to caravan, got "pulled" for towed.

Did not know Denali is the "great one." Couldn't get to Easter Island from Isla de Pascua.

Alex is really killing me lately with "You worked that one beautifully."

TS: Duncan, apostrophe, OK

John Reed? Fighting Bob? How now?
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

mcsheffrey wrote:
Lolita's buzzer speed was incredible,
Heh, I assumed as much, since she continually rang in on easy top-row clues (which I assume are buzzer wars between all three contestants) ahead of you and Jessica.
mcsheffrey wrote: By the end, I even got my legs to stop shaking!
Congrats. Hope you were more comfortable in your second game and really gave your opponents the business! And even moreso in your third, and fourth, and fifth, and sixth...
davey

Post by davey »

I got to Indonesia pretty quickly on this clue, but blanked on Java and the only island I could come up with was Bali. No luck remembering the capital of Indonesia that starts with B... :roll:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote:I got to Indonesia pretty quickly on this clue, but blanked on Java and the only island I could come up with was Bali. No luck remembering the capital of Indonesia that starts with B... :roll:
#6175, aired 2011-06-17 WORLD CITIES $200: In 1949 Indonesia became independent & Batavia became this capital city
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Loved the J! round. Antipodes is a subject that has always fascinated me, and these maps are among my favourites. (Two of my favourite antipodal facts: Part of Taiwan (formerly known as Formosa) is antipodal to Formosa province, Argentina. Even more amazing, the names are coincidental and have root word from different (European) languages. Also, the Pacific Ocean is so huge that parts of it are antipodal to itself! In other words, if you drilled through the centre of the earth in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Arica, Chile, you'll wind up on the other side ... still in the Pacific Ocean! (In the Gulf of Tonkin!)

Ran the RV category, love RVs and my answer to the "what would you do with the money if you won?" question at my audition was to buy an RV. I absolutely adore road trips and my parents renting an RV for one we went on as a teenager had a profound impact on me. This is #1 on the "items to purchase if we get a LOT of money" list.

Also, was nice seeing the Atari 2600 in the game, I have one, set up below the TV I was watching J! on!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,800
49 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Duncan, John Reed, Nebraska, Oklahoma, personification

I always wanted to create the United Gordo College Fund. Our slogan would be "a waist is a terrible thing to mind."

Java/Jakarta came to me instantly, and from there I had to work through Tokyo/Honshu and Manila/Luzon to make sure there weren't any other contenders. I didn't think of Taipei/Taiwan or Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte/Sri Lanka, but there's no way I would've chosen either of those over the correct response.
mxc_takeshi wrote:Lach Trash: Duncan, Oklahoma
There was a clue that asked for the birthplace of the Halliburton Corporation?
Sprinkles are for winners.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

Instaget FJ for the second day in a row. I picked up a copy of Steven Ferrill's book after getting The Call, having seen goatman's many posts recommending that book to prospective contestants--ran MYTHTAKE and got FJ today because of it, so I hope it continues to pay dividends.

Lolita's buzzer skills were scary good. I got pretty annoyed with her about halfway through the J! round, though, so I was doubly happy to see a fellow JBoard member win. Congrats, mcsheffrey!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

theamazingchong wrote: I got pretty annoyed with her about halfway through the J! round, though,
Out of curiosity, why?
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

IronNeck wrote:
theamazingchong wrote: I got pretty annoyed with her about halfway through the J! round, though,
Out of curiosity, why?
The cadence of her voice irked me. Also, that she phrased her clue requests as "I'll take [CATEGORY] for [$$], please" with little to no variation got old real fast.
billiej

Post by billiej »

OSXpert wrote: 2.) Is it "fun guy" or "fun jie"?
If it's not "fun guy", then that joke about the mushroom in a bar makes no sense.

WAGed Jakarta toward the end. I'll take it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Mark, thanks for looking up about pre-celeb "Matt" Weiner. Does that mean that there is a way to come back after losing?--you just have to create an Emmy-winning powerhouse TV show?

What does "[Sirens]" mean in your notes?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

morbeedo wrote: John Reed? Fighting Bob? How now?
I knew John Reed from the movie Reds. Which was a big movie - in 1981.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

heppm01 wrote:For FJ I confidently went with Taipei, Taiwan.
Maybe you just have that kind of personality.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: I always wanted to create the United Gordo College Fund. Our slogan would be "a waist is a terrible thing to mind."
That's just awesome! :D
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!