Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:19 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:I know "The Girl from Ipanema" as "that song that always plays in elevators in movies", but only because I recently found this out on TV Tropes.
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I honestly didn't know the word for "brick" in Spanish. Funny how, as fluent as I am, there are still so many words I don't know. The best example is how I managed to go five years without either using or hearing the word for "both" in Spanish.
The only word I've ever seen for "brick" in Spanish is tijolo. Google translates "tijolo" as brick, but when given "brick," returns ladrillo as the primary answer. FWIW, it translates "adobe" as "adobe."
Now ladrillo rings a faint bell. Think this is good enough to submit as an erratum when the game is archived?

Who handles their Spanish clues anyway? Like in this game where they used muro for "wall", when most people would only know pared as "wall".
As a speaker of French, I know mur is wall and muro would be gettable for me. (Also, murus is the Latin word for wall.) The Mexican word for wall is "we ain't paying for it".
Just finished my second swim in the Jeopardy! contestant pool. :-(

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:20 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
davey wrote:If you don't know Ralph Bunche - he used to be a trivia and crossword staple, but maybe not so much anymore - and don't know exactly what the Spingarn is, Hammarskjold is not a bad guess.
Except that the clue specified that he had won The NAACP's Spingarn Medal.
Which is why I wrote don't know exactly what the Spingarn is.
I know, for J! purposes the NAACP is always going to be invoked for an African American, and everyone should know about Bunche. But is it laughable to think they might have paid tribute to a white international diplomat? One who died in Africa, by the way, in a plane crash as he was attempting to broker a ceasefire in the Congo.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3134
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:30 am

BobF wrote:didn't think the place named in the song had an airport so I went with the most prominent city in that country.
You went with São Paulo? Too bad! :)

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1703
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 am

mcsheffrey wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:For whatever reason, Jobim struck me as Portuguese, which led me to Brazil, which led me to (WAG) that the song was The Girl from Ipanema. I either never knew or forgot where that is, so I guessed Rio. Oh it was almost a triple get? Huh. I'm guessing they just knew it, and didn't meander their way to a correct guess like I did :oops: At least it wasn't one of the airports from a recent TD, then I would've kicked myself.
That was pretty much my reasoning to a T. Portuguese > Brazil > Girl From Ipanema > Ipanema Beach > Rio de Janeiro.

I was getting nervous/angry with myself when Elisabeth got her DD. I knew dadaism instantly and thought she had a good shot at it. As was pointed out though, in the end I would have been a little better off if she had got it right. Who knows though, maybe the extra nerves would have thrown me off enough to break my circuitous route to the FJ answer. I certainly can't complain about the end result!
No matter how you criticize or second-guess yourself, it's hard to argue with results like these. Many congrats on making the J! Players Hall of Fame. I'd love to watch tonight as well but fear the basketball games will preempt you around here.

This FJ was another of those times when it helps to be "of a certain age." Jobim = The Girl from Ipanema = Rio. Done, boom.

Nice when that happens.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:58 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
BobF wrote:didn't think the place named in the song had an airport so I went with the most prominent city in that country.
You went with São Paulo? Too bad! :)
And Tacoma is the most prominent city in WA. :)
Just finished my second swim in the Jeopardy! contestant pool. :-(

User avatar
mcsheffrey
Contributor
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mcsheffrey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:38 am

doriko wrote:Congratulations to our Champion!

Did I miss it, or did Alex never mention that the song was The Girl from Ipanema?
I had actually meant to look it up later to verify that I had the right song but never got around to it. I figured if enough people here were certain of it then it had to be right.

And thank you!

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3134
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 am

BobF wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
BobF wrote:didn't think the place named in the song had an airport so I went with the most prominent city in that country.
You went with São Paulo? Too bad! :)
And Tacoma is the most prominent city in WA. :)
I think it would be more like New York vs. Los Angeles. São Paulo is the most populous city in Brazil, so I'm not sure why Rio should be considered more prominent.

French Rage
Contributor
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by French Rage » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am

I'm wondering how well the contestants would have done on FJ pre-2014. Having a World Cup in Brazil and an Olympics in Rio within the last 3 years definitely gave me a lot more exposure to what is in Rio. Guessing based on the songwriter's name that it was somewhere in Latin/South America led me to a somewhat confident guess of Rio.

grindcore
Some Guy
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Bautista's infamous batflip was in 2015, not 2016!!! The writers blew it!

Also, "Newfoundland & ____", Fear and Loathing, and Medusa in the bottom row had me wide-eyed.

User avatar
dinghammer
No Relation
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dinghammer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:54 pm

French Rage wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am
I'm wondering how well the contestants would have done on FJ pre-2014. Having a World Cup in Brazil and an Olympics in Rio within the last 3 years definitely gave me a lot more exposure to what is in Rio. Guessing based on the songwriter's name that it was somewhere in Latin/South America led me to a somewhat confident guess of Rio.
I've been wondering how well I would have done before about a year ago. I happened to know, thanks to a question in the Pointless app*, that the airport in Rio is named after Antonio Carlos Jobim, but without that or all the stuff about The Girl from Ipanema during the Olympics, who knows?

(* I think it's in the most recent question pack, but if it's not, then it must be in the default questions, so that would put it around 2014 also.)

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 4905
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:29 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 am
BobF wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
BobF wrote:didn't think the place named in the song had an airport so I went with the most prominent city in that country.
You went with São Paulo? Too bad! :)
And Tacoma is the most prominent city in WA. :)
I think it would be more like New York vs. Los Angeles. São Paulo is the most populous city in Brazil, so I'm not sure why Rio should be considered more prominent.
That's São Paulo's only claim to fame though. Rio's hosted the Olympics, the World Cup, has the Christ the Redeemer statue, Sugarloaf, beaches, Carnival...

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8020
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:44 pm

I am aware of the song and that it was a place in Brazil but had no idea who wrote it. The sad thing is I thought the name might be Portuguese but for some reason never made the connection to Brazil.

User avatar
morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:14 pm
Elizabeth should have gone bigger on that DD as she could have gotten within $2000 with one $2000 clue left. I got that one right in a complete guess.
Those were high stakes for sure! Anyone else notice her eyes open SUPER WIDE when the clue was revealed? Poor dear, she didn't have a clue! At least she got to stick around for Final Jeopardy.

And yeah, what's up with Alex not mentioning the song at the end. Leaves 80% of viewers thinking WTF? I got to Rio de Janiero (sic) without recognizing the name.

User avatar
morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Forgot to ask about the $800 clue in WALK THIS WAY: These 2 walking words rhyme; the first also means to talk aimlessly & the second, to stroll or saunter.

The correct response was ramble / amble, but I came up with meander / wander. I wonder how the judges would rule on that?

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:21 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:00 pm
The correct response was ramble / amble, but I came up with meander / wander. I wonder how the judges would rule on that?
Not in your favor.

User avatar
morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:31 pm

econgator wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:21 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:00 pm
The correct response was ramble / amble, but I came up with meander / wander. I wonder how the judges would rule on that?
Not in your favor.
Well, meander can mean to talk aimlessly, and wander can mean to stroll, and the words do rhyme in a way.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6736
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:31 pm
econgator wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:21 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:00 pm
The correct response was ramble / amble, but I came up with meander / wander. I wonder how the judges would rule on that?
Not in your favor.
Well, meander can mean to talk aimlessly, and wander can mean to stroll, and the words do rhyme in a way.

Sight rhyme, sure. Actual rhyme, no.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4395
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:00 pm
Forgot to ask about the $800 clue in WALK THIS WAY: These 2 walking words rhyme; the first also means to talk aimlessly & the second, to stroll or saunter.

The correct response was ramble / amble, but I came up with meander / wander. I wonder how the judges would rule on that?
I came up with "ramble" and "gambol," which rhyme better than yours but also go 50% on matching the definitions.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dinghammer, Google [Bot], jeff6286 and 13 guests