Friday, March 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NATIVE AMERICAN PLACE NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
You have to go through military security to reach this town with a marine base on 3 sides & the Potomac on the other

Stephanie Garrone-Shufran: 1800-1800=0
Jon Beebe: 12400-5601=6799
Robert Weibezahl: 9000+2000=11000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Quantico (Stephanie – Alexandria) (Jon – Tappahannock)

Daily Doubles
Stephanie: 1200-1200
Robert: 4200+2000
Jon: 11200+2000

Coryats
Stephanie: 3000
Jon: 12000
Robert: 8600

Combined: 23,600
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Did one of the writers recently move to LA from DC? Because the Maryland/DC/Virginia flavor in many recent FJ clues is getting a bit bizarre.

This was an instaget but only because of being a military brat who used to live in the DC area. I'm not sure how often folks outside that area would ever hear of this place.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Another victim of the "don't contradict or otherwise be mean to Alex" curse ("I don't do Zumba". "You should!")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Thumb drive instead of flash drive should be fine.

Porsche is two syllables, not one.

Blues being 12 bars seems really undervalued to me.

Instaget FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:47 pm I'm not sure how often folks outside that area would ever hear of this place.
TV shows and movies mention it a lot, including the one on ABC right now named Quantico. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CBS broke in right after the first round to discuss the health care bill. So I went to redditt and was dismayed to see he had used my station's feed today. But apparently he was able to get the rest.

I missed FJ, went with Alexandria. I was pretty sure that was wrong and actually had the right city, but just couldn't think of it.

Glad to see another older guy win.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Spoiler
Oh..with so many preemptions, I am just glad to get to watch J!
My questions from yesterday's game are answered.

I don't normally watch PBS NewsHour (because I don't watch TV during that timeslot) and they had interview with Director Boyle about new movie T2. So, I obviously got Trainspotting. I would have never gotten this otherwise.

I often confuse 'words' with 'letters' in clues - so the J DD, I was looking for a 4 letter word :roll:

Re Interviews: Till a few weeks ago NHO Terkel.

I got to DC area for FJ and got stuck on remembering that there was some "swampy bottom" or something similar name around DC ("foggy bottom"). Maybe that name was derived from Indian name? Thats the best I had. Not getting to correct response.

First game bites off another strong contestant Jon!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:35 pm Blues being 12 bars seems really undervalued to me.
I feel like this has come up recent-ish (maybe in a TD/SHC?), but I keep forgetting.

A glance at TV ratings this morning reminded me that Quantico exists, which helped me with this FJ, though to be honest, I didn't know it was a town, so much as the location of various FBI/military facilities.

'Thumb' drive came to mind immediately, but I said 'flash', just to be safe. Probably wouldn't have mattered.
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:47 pm Did one of the writers recently move to LA from DC? Because the Maryland/DC/Virginia flavor in many recent FJ clues is getting a bit bizarre.
Let's see if we get a Nationals/Capitals/Ravens/Orioles sports FJ within the next week or two.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:42 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:35 pm Blues being 12 bars seems really undervalued to me.
I feel like this has come up recent-ish (maybe in a TD/SHC?), but I keep forgetting.
I'm fairly certain this was in LL fairly recently and I remember being surprised at how hard it played. Having trouble tracking down the exact question, though.

"Quantico" to me is the just another name for the FBI training center. I had no idea there was a town there. I also never had any idea that was a Native American name. Add it up and I was never coming anywhere near this one.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Interesting how Alex started the show, no prologue, let's get to work. And no clues were left on the board.

NHO Quantico (the place or the show). I put Annapolis just to have something, though if I were on the show I would have written Pocahontas (inside joke, nothing to do with the Senator from Mass.)

Dr. Livingstone I presume? Not in a million years!

Things I know little about: things in space, men/women in robes, Greek letters

TS: Halliburton, promise/premise

NYC guy really lost his groove with that Bluesy category. I find that older players, as a rule, have a hard time on Jeopardy, so I was glad to see this guy win, slow and steady

That painting was supposed to depict The Sermon on the Mount? If you say so!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Niagra river was shockingly easy Lach Trash. I also got Voyger from remembering Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and the Doors.

Tough break for Jon after being on the cusp of a runaway during DJ.
Nice job on the wager and sole solve in FJ by Robert.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

FJ was an instant get for me, and I've only had 2 very brief visits to that part of the country.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:19 pm
I'm fairly certain this was in LL fairly recently and I remember being surprised at how hard it played. Having trouble tracking down the exact question, though.
I don't know about LL, not being a member, but it was most definitely in last summer's SHC. To be specific, round 3, day 1, 4 pt., "A blues stanza commonly consists of this many bars of music: three lines in the form AAB."
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nlw44 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 pm I don't know about LL, not being a member, but it was most definitely in last summer's SHC. To be specific, round 3, day 1, 4 pt., "A blues stanza commonly consists of this many bars of music: three lines in the form AAB."
Ahhh ... I don't play the SHC, so that may be why I don't remember hearing about that.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

nlw44 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:19 pm
I don't know about LL, not being a member, but it was most definitely in last summer's SHC. To be specific, round 3, day 1, 4 pt., "A blues stanza commonly consists of this many bars of music: three lines in the form AAB."
That's what I was remembering. Thanks.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

FJ was an instaget for me, but I grew up in Haymarket, which is on the other side of Prince William Country from Quanitco, so if there's one area I randomly know it's that!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I was rooting against Stephanie as soon as she did an impromptu advertisement for Zumba.

Robert was very lucky that his bet of only $2,000 on a DD didn't come back to haunt him. Given how fast and knowledgeable Jon was and his big lead, why would you not bet it all, especially given Robert's strong grasp of history?

LT: "Dr.Livingstone, I presume?", beta decay, derrick, Gulf of Mexico, The Doors

FJ: Instantly thought of Quantico, but didn't think it had anything to do with the Indians. Luckily, I couldn't think of anything better. One of the least confident FJ gets ever for me.