Monday, March 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by theFJguy »

DJ! round - not under Archivists name though.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENTISTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This European’s 1751 “Philosophia Botanica” gave rules of nomenclature & said don’t change generic names

Robert Weibezahl: 13400-1600=11800
Adam Vesterholt: 13401+13400=26801 (New Champ)
Meral Cultu: 11800+1602=13402

Correct response:
Spoiler
Linnaeus (Robert – Boyle) (Meral – Charles Linneaus)

Daily Doubles
Adam: 3400+2400
Adam: 9600+3600
Adam: 12000+1401

Coryats
Robert: 13400
Adam: 9000
Meral: 11800

Combined: 34,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Fine, three players do not know the movie The Others. I get that. Not knowing a 9-banded critter in the SW was the head scratcher.

Robert gave "telecommunications company" for TELCO and Alex said, "We'll accept that." Yeah, I would think so. I sensed that Alex may have been looking for something else? Telephone company? What was the #1 response on his card?

Adam played DD3 in a second place position of 12000 against 13400 & 11800 with only a $2000 clue remaining. His going for 1401 gave him the lead while leaving it possible for either opponent on the last clue to jump ahead of him. Clue 30 did end up being played, but since it was a TS clue, no harm.

Adam played all three DDs, got them all right, so as should happen in that case he did have the lead for the FJ! round.

No matter the point of the game when it occurs, I would think this kind of sequential scoreboard situation is rare.
Spoiler
When I played the FJ! clue I spotted "Botanica" and wrote Mendel. It was an easy switch to the right guy after I took the time to take in the complete clue.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm No matter the point of the game when it occurs, I would think this kind of sequential scoreboard situation is rare.
Spoiler
I had to check to see that I didn't tune into The Price Is Right for a while there.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Leander

Post by Leander »

As a former member of the Chicago Botanic Garden, which has a large statue of the FJ scientist, I would have been embarassed to miss this one.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm Adam played DD3 in a second place position of 12000 against 13400 & 11800 with only a $2000 clue remaining. His going for 1401 gave him the lead while leaving it possible for either opponent on the last clue to jump ahead of him. Clue 30 did end up being played, but since it was a TS clue, no harm.
Yeah, even though he kept lead, that minimal bet then also placed the maximum amount of pressure on himself to get FJ correct, forcing the all-but-a-buck final wager. I didn't like it.
And I felt Meral should have bumped up her final wager to 1605, just in case Robert used the same venusian strategy. Otherwise, if she felt good about the category, she should probably just pad her potential payday with an 8600 wager to stay above Robert's fall back score if he just covers her.

LT: I Write the Songs, Consequences
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Pretty cool to hear Alex say Cleveland was one of his favorite cities. I've never heard him swoon over a contestant hometown before.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Really close game. Well played by everybody.

I got Linnaeus. Good game for me. Armadillos are a thing I guess.

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

A good game, one of the better ones we have seen in the past few weeks.

I like Adam, but getting all 3 DDs correct and still being only a dollar ahead is a bad sign. Part of that is betting too little on them. Especially his 1st and 3rd ones. Overall, he seems like a knowledgeable player with fast buzzer speed, but those negs, some of them wild/odd guesses, were killing him. At least he wagered correctly on FJ, winning himself a nice payday.

On an amusing note, Adam's pronunciation of "Ivan the Terrible" ("Ee-van") is much closer to how it is uttered in Russian, so Alex's correction "Eye-van" was besides the point.

LT: The Others, consequences

FJ: Actually thought about it for 5 seconds, but realized Linnaeus was the only possible answer.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm not a big fan of accepting "Charles Linnaeus." His name was Carl, not Charles. Would they accept, for example, Charles Santana instead of Carlos Santana?
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

INSTAGOT FJ...a scientist known for nomenclature and naming is automatic for Linnaeus.

Ran Oh My Gods (including the screamingly easy (IMO) Neptune DD) and 1970s "Song" Titles (including the "I Write The Songs" LT) and almost ran Stringed Instruments (bridge fell out under me). Also got the Utah DD and consequences LT.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Good game, but Adam sure shot from the hip and his 1 dollar cushion with a 2K question left was a head scratcher. His guesses were not mistakes, they were guesses all the way. Balboa in California? Now that I think of it, maybe he was (I just rememberred Balboa Park in SD). I should look it up and save you all the trouble but I knew they were going for someone distinct.

I don't think I liked the FJ clue. Easy for me, and maybe the boardies as trivia experts, but it seems to be YEKIOYD. It is a simple high school biology class historical figure, so maybe it's OK for the masses. No way that the next 9 people you meet at the mall will know the name. Alex failed to explain what his significance was as well.

It will be fun to see if Alex gets ahead and learns to stay clam on the guesses tomorrow.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:53 pm Good game, but Adam sure shot from the hip and his 1 dollar cushion with a 2K question left was a head scratcher. His guesses were not mistakes, they were guesses all the way. Balboa in California? Now that I think of it, maybe he was (I just rememberred Balboa Park in SD). I should look it up and save you all the trouble but I knew they were going for someone distinct.
I can't fault him. I was just at the Cabrillo monument in San Diego a few weeks ago and still guessed "Serra."
I don't think I liked the FJ clue. Easy for me, and maybe the boardies as trivia experts, but it seems to be YEKIOYD. It is a simple high school biology class historical figure, so maybe it's OK for the masses.
Yes, definitely OK. It may not poll extremely high, but I'm willing to bet almost all boardies will have heard of Linnaeus even if they missed it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 pm I'm not a big fan of accepting "Charles Linnaeus." His name was Carl, not Charles. Would they accept, for example, Charles Santana instead of Carlos Santana?
I'd always called him Carolus Linneaus and checking the entry in wiki for Charles shows:

"Charles is a masculine given name from the French form Charles of a Germanic name Karl. The original Anglo-Saxon was Ċearl or Ċeorl, as the name of King Cearl of Mercia, that disappeared after the Norman conquest of England.

The corresponding Old Norse form is Karl, and the German form is also Karl. The name was notably borne by Charlemagne (Charles the Great), and was at the time Latinized as Karolus (as in Vita Karoli Magni), later also as Carolus."

So yeah, I'm good with it. :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:21 am I'd always called him Carolus Linneaus
Carolus is fine because that's how his name is written in Latin and most scientific writing at the time was done in Latin.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Of course, several hours *after* watching Jeopardy does this article appear in my feed on Facebook.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,800
46 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: "I Write The Songs"; oblate, armadillo, The Others, Consequences

It didn't end up mattering given that he missed FJ!, but Robert's seeming obliviousness to DDs could have cost him the game.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 pm I'm not a big fan of accepting "Charles Linnaeus." His name was Carl, not Charles. Would they accept, for example, Charles Santana instead of Carlos Santana?
Heck, what if you decided to refer to Carlos Estevez as "Charlie"?
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm No matter the point of the game when it occurs, I would think this kind of sequential scoreboard situation is rare.
Spoiler
If Michael Rooney had bet properly in UToC round 3, we could have seen a 99-00-01 endgame.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Judges: "Oblong" instead of "Oblate"?