Monday, March 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, March 27, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:02 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 pm I'm not a big fan of accepting "Charles Linnaeus." His name was Carl, not Charles. Would they accept, for example, Charles Santana instead of Carlos Santana?
Heck, what if you decided to refer to Carlos Estevez as "Charlie"?
Nicely timed. :)

But seriously, if there was a clue about the current President of France and someone answered "who is Francis Hollande?" do you think that would be accepted? I doubt it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Close to instaget on FJ.

I did not like the last DD bet. It left him vulnerable to being passed by both players on the last clue. Also, if he had missed it, he can't catch Robert unless Robert gets it wrong and he gets the rebound.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:46 am Judges: "Oblong" instead of "Oblate"?
Nope, oblong has a totally different meaning ("elongated in one direction").
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:04 pm
heppm01 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:46 am Judges: "Oblong" instead of "Oblate"?
Nope, oblong has a totally different meaning ("elongated in one direction").
I was hoping someone would ring in with "oblong" just to see what Alex and the judges would do. I agree that it shouldn't be accepted, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In addition to the Cleveland shout-out, I was also elated to see that Jeopardy! was announcing an opinion, and a very correct one at that, on the replacement of Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen in the Return of the Jedi Blu-ray. Take that shade, George Lucas.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

IronNeck wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:43 pm On an amusing note, Adam's pronunciation of "Ivan the Terrible" ("Ee-van") is much closer to how it is uttered in Russian, so Alex's correction "Eye-van" was besides the point.
If ever I get on Jeopardy and this comes up, I'd respond 'Who is Ivan Grozny?'

0/5: His First Name :oops:

Hass avocado, so painfully obvious after Alex's reveal

TS: The Others, armadillo, silk

On the Neptune DD, perhaps the writers expected people to go with Poseidon? If you know your stuff, then it's easy peasy. My only neg in that category was Apollo in the top box

Animals that play dead - 'poison' for $2000?? I was looking for some other term like camouflage, wasn't getting to the obvious poison
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

String for $400 was enormous negbait for guitar vs. bassL, especially given that "rhythm guitar" is a term.

European History = automatic 0/5 for me.

So Jay-Z's real name is $200 material, huh? Charlie Sheen's name isn't his real one? That whole category was 0/5 to me.

NHO "Song Song Blue". Missed "I Write the Songs" because I was expecting every title to begin with "Song", which is a common pitfall of "word in quotes" categories I've found.

I knew "Telco" was "Tel___ company" but couldn't fill in the rest.

I got the "Lost" clue because I recognized Hurley.

Yes, the mandolinist got "mandolin". Didn't know "bridge" or "violin" but got "balalaika" because a former coworker plays one.

"Oculist" was my only miss in OC.

Lach Trash: avocado, armadillo.

Linneaus is one of those names that escapes my head every time I need it. I keep thinking Mendeleyev whenever I need him for some reason.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Catching up on the shows I missed from March and April. Robert Weibezahl incorrectly guesses Boyle for FJ and nobody here says, "Guess he couldn't stand ... ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■) ... the pressure. Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!" Sigh.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

This game is memorable to me as it's the last one I saw before traveling to LA to tape. You really feel the gulf between tape dates and air dates when you've just watched Adam Vesterholt win, and then you get to the green room and Maggie's talking about Susan Corica ending Jon Eisenman's run, which of course no one had seen yet.

Maggie also talked about how intimidated people would get when they saw Ken Jennings on TV and then got to the studio and there he still was, and how she'd wanted to prank people a few years ago by pretending they'd brought him back to play as a regular player again (he was in the studio for some reason).