Thursday, March 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSICAL THEATRE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the world’s longest-running musicals, in 2015 it celebrated "30 years of revolution!"

Julie Brannon: 15400+7500=22900
Brook North: 3000+2399=5399
Eric Vernon: 14800+12000=26800 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Les Misérables

Daily Doubles
Eric: 2400+2000
Eric: 8600+2600
Eric: 12000+2000

Coryats
Julie: 15400
Brook: 3000
Eric: 12600

Combined: 31,000

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

FEMALE TV COPS was a fun run and other than the Locklear character the ones from SVU, Cold Case, The Closer & The Mod Squad all have rankings above just “cop.”

I still miss Cold Case and it’s sad seeing Kathryn Morris in a small part on Colony when she should be getting the kind of starring roles that are gifted to the Grey’s queen of difficult that make the projects non-starters before they begin.

Eric did his part to be in second place for the FJ! round with the speaking errors on Iguazu & Hargitay coupled with 3/3 on DDs only 2200 in total above box values.

Julie’s lead for the FJ! round to go with getting the clue right should have brought her back on Friday. Julie was 3/3 for FJ! clues, 3/3 for leading going into the FJ! round and 3/3 on DDs. Her perfect record was spoiled with her FJ! round wagering.

Eric got a nice gift and pay day courtesy of Julie and he’ll go to game 2 with 4 for 4 record on big clues.

My LL record in the Theatre category is 14/16, so today’s clue worked in my favor. The only thing I wrote was the correct response and as time wound down Evita was the lone distractor that occurred to me.

PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

Eric's wager was not that much better cause he let 3rd back in the game when he had him locked out

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Huh.

I'm guessing Julie thought that Eric would most likely bet nothing on the assumption that she'd bet enough to cover him. Or maybe she thought Eric would bet $601 if he thought she would bet nothing. Of course, neither scenario explains her wager.

It probably doesn't happen too often that twice in one week, the leader going into FJ gets FJ correct - and then goes home. Edited to add that they both seemed like players with a lot of knowledge that could have sustained decent runs.

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Oh that FJ wager. That had to be the Revenge of the Nice Round Number, because it didn't cover a double up, and it didn't even cover him if he bet to keep 3rd locked out. Gadzooks.

I expected a miss when I saw the FJ category; instead, they served up a softball. Thanks, J! writers.

Thank goodness for multiple negs and TSes, because it took waaaaay too long at home for me to rebound with 'toric'.

Surprised they didn't catch his mispronunciation of Hargitay, it was obvious to me in real time that he mangled it.
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:52 pm
I still miss Cold Case and it’s sad seeing Kathryn Morris in a small part on Colony when she should be getting the kind of starring roles that are gifted to the Grey’s queen of difficult that make the projects non-starters before they begin.
Oh is that where she is? Haven't seen her since Cold Case ended (that cancellation still annoys me). Colony is one of the long list of shows that I intend to try, someday. At this point, the list is so long that I probably couldn't make a dent even if I spent every second of free time in the next year trying, but we'll see.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If it has been mentioned elsewhere I have missed it.

The week of March 20 had the 3rd place contestant standing closest by Alex for the closing credits with the winner the greatest distance away and the 2nd place finisher in the middle. This week of the 27th has had 2nd place next to Alex, the winner in the same spot and the 3rd place finisher now in the middle.

Theories on the change? I don't really like mine.

Some snowflake complained that he or she came in second and should have been able to stand closest to the host instead of the show horse?

Swb
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Swb »

They really have to get rid of this garbage of ending the game before all the clues are read. It's a shame and unfair that a close game can be decided on the basis of when the buzzer ends the game. Cut back on interview time, get rid of time wasting clue crews or Alex on location. Whatever they have to do. The fairness is more important than anything else.

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The freaking interstate burned down in Atlanta today, so this game will be a mystery.

alamble

Post by alamble »

9021amyers wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:59 pm
The freaking interstate burned down in Atlanta today, so this game will be a mystery.
Not that it helps now, but whenever J! is pre-empted in Atlanta, always check 11 Alive's secondary channel, WATL. They shifted J!, but not WOF, tonight.

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

alamble wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:13 pm
9021amyers wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:59 pm
Not that it helps now, but whenever J! is pre-empted in Atlanta, always check 11 Alive's secondary channel, WATL. They shifted J!, but not WOF, tonight.
I realized that too late to reset my DVR.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Oh that FJ wager. That had to be the Revenge of the Nice Round Number, because it didn't cover a double up, and it didn't even cover him if he bet to keep 3rd locked out.
PanthersFan1 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:03 pm
Eric's wager was not that much better cause he let 3rd back in the game when he had him locked out
Yep. If Julie had wagered 8201, I could understand and forgive it. But if I'm in Eric's spot, no way I'm gonna bet more than 8799.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett" wrote:Eric did his part to be in second place for the FJ! round with the speaking errors on Iguazu & Hargitay coupled with 3/3 on DDs only 2200 in total above box values.
Despite Julie's effort to give him the lead with two ill advised guesses late in DJ.
When she got that last clue to nip the the lead away from Eric, I had a feeling she might lose from first on a tough FJ, as that's what often happens when I'm rooting for someone in that kind of scenario. As it turns out, I don't think it would have mattered which one of those two had the lead since Eric came up with the correct final, in addition to Julie's ignorance of wagering strategy.

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

Swb wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:56 pm
They really have to get rid of this garbage of ending the game before all the clues are read. It's a shame and unfair that a close game can be decided on the basis of when the buzzer ends the game. Cut back on interview time, get rid of time wasting clue crews or Alex on location. Whatever they have to do. The fairness is more important than anything else.
The time's up buzzer has been a part of the game for 51 years.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Category 13 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:39 pm
xxaaaxx wrote:Oh that FJ wager. That had to be the Revenge of the Nice Round Number, because it didn't cover a double up, and it didn't even cover him if he bet to keep 3rd locked out.
PanthersFan1 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:03 pm
Yep. If Julie had wagered 8201, I could understand and forgive it. But if I'm in Eric's spot, no way I'm gonna bet more than 8799.
Eric might have watched her first game where she did not do the shut out wager from the lead.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Brook North didn't get in on the buzzer in time to give "North" West as a response.

Can anyone provide the transliterated text of his Klingon "Happy Birthday"? The closed caption stream just says "Sings Happy Birthday in Klingon".

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ridiculously easy FJ. I briefly considered 1776, but there was no way that worked. And oh, that wager ...

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I very briefly considered "Fiddler on the Roof" due to the Russian Revolution and there was a revival of it in NYC recently but then I realized pretty quickly that Les Miz was a much better answer.