Thursday, March 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

It's sad to see 28 grand lost by a bad decision. She fought back at the end and grabbed the last clue before the buzzer. She answered some tough questions in that pen name category - I don't think the others wanted any part of them.

I was trying to channel Morbeedo in FJ, because I don't know any Broadway stuff. I went with Jersey Boys, just hoping that there was something about Revolution that Tom'd to it. The Revolution TOM took me to "Hair" first, but the math said nope. I loved the TV miniseries on Les Mis in the 1980's (PBS I assume). I think I even read it in College. But I NHO as a Broadway show, much less a musical.

My do-over guess for FJ is the little known off-Broadway hit "Godspeed to Linnaeus in Gettysburg".

I don't even bother with scramble clues. I was surprised that kryptos was a TS.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Ok..I guess I will start. Missed FJ..Is there a TOM?

Iguana falls was a great miss..I am trying to picture it.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,800
50 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: hidden, Iguacu Falls, (Mariska Hargitay), Kyra Sedgwick, toric

Sure, there's some trivia involved, but J! is mostly about buzzer timing, DD hunting, and wagers.
Swb wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:56 pm They really have to get rid of this garbage of ending the game before all the clues are read. It's a shame and unfair that a close game can be decided on the basis of when the buzzer ends the game. Cut back on interview time, get rid of time wasting clue crews or Alex on location. Whatever they have to do. The fairness is more important than anything else.
I want to play all 61 clues as much as the next guy, but, assuming that TPTB aren't adjusting the time limits mid-game to advantage one player over another, I don't see how it's unfair.
Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:24 pm Brook North didn't get in on the buzzer in time to give "North" West as a response.
Mark my words: in 20 years, there will be a celebrity cologne called "North, by North West."
Sprinkles are for winners.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Iguazu Falls:

Iguana Falls:
https://youtu.be/XGvcOvarjCc
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Well, speak of the devil;
IronNeck wrote:Julie made it difficult for herself by betting so little on those 2 DDs. That should have been either a crush or a lock for her by the end of Double Jeopardy. Then again, with her not locking from the lead yesterday and now over-betting the lock by $399, she is likely going to continue to give up equity there. Hopefully, she doesn't lose in the way Fred Vaughn did.
And, just like Fred Vaugh, she lost from the lead in FJ while getting the clue correct, on a triple get.

Of course, Eric should be counting his blessings, too. Getting all 3 DDs correct and actually trailing heading into FJ is something I have never, ever seen on the show before. Archive sleuths? Considering his Coryat was only marginally less than Julie's, that is as sure a sign as any that he bet way too little.

LT: Iguazu Falls, Kyra Sedgewick

FJ: Embarrassingly, I confidently stated Evita. Thought Les Miserables was much older.
Last edited by IronNeck on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

INSTAGET FJ...had Les Miserables/Les Miz right after Alex read the first word.

Did much better tonight, which honestly surprised me with my mind being even more insane than usual (and that is pretty insane enough :P) from my marathon gaming. Ran A Visit To The CIA (including the Kryptos/hidden LT) and Dead And Still Earning In 2016, and almost ran They Come In Fours (got cheesed by Muenster), One Direction (got clowned by (The New) Left), and Pen Names (ran into the Danielle Steele curtain instead of going with Nora Roberts). Also got the Kyra Sedgewick LT and anvil DD...really should have gotten the other two. Fell for the German negbait instead of Dutch with the Anne Frank DD, and the Innsbruck DD should have come to me too. But if those were the worst things about my overall game tonight, I am certainly not complaining.

But as if I'm not already enough of a lunatic *glances at her avatar*, I now have "Master Of The House" embedded in my head and most likely will for the remainder of the night AND through the weekend! Image

"Master of the house, doling out the charm, ready with a handshake, and an open palm!"
Last edited by Maven on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 pm FJ: Embarrassingly, I confidently stated Evita. Thought Les Miserables was much older.
Same here. It was a guess for me, but it seemed reasonable.
doihavetoreally wrote:Ok..I guess I will start. Missed FJ..Is there a TOM?
Revolution. From the Wikipedia entry for Les Mis:
Set in early 19th-century France, it is the story of Jean Valjean, a French peasant, and his quest for redemption after serving nineteen years in jail for having stolen a loaf of bread for his sister's starving child. Valjean decides to break his parole and start his life anew after a kindly bishop inspires him by a tremendous act of mercy, but he is relentlessly tracked down by a police inspector named Javert. Along the way, Valjean and a slew of characters are swept into a revolutionary period in France, where a group of young idealists make their last stand at a street barricade.
[my emphasis]
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Alex must not read the 2016 Current Events thread otherwise he'd know Happy Birthday is now public domain. :lol:
https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3 ... 80#p204180
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

Les Miz came to me at "revolution". Hopefully, my social circle can now stop calling that type of wager a "Fred Vaughn" (Just like me, Julie underwagered on the title of a musical. What a way to go...)
Hippest of the square, and squarest among the hip...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:24 pm Brook North didn't get in on the buzzer in time to give "North" West as a response.

Can anyone provide the transliterated text of his Klingon "Happy Birthday"? The closed caption stream just says "Sings Happy Birthday in Klingon".
Probably one of these... http://www.klingon.org/smboard/index.php?topic=1867.0

Edit:
Even more hilarity. Today's answer of the day (30 Mar) on the 2017 J! calendar:
One who won't participate in the fun, perhaps in singing "Happy Birthday"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 pm Edit:
Even more hilarity. Today's answer of the day (30 Mar) on the 2017 J! calendar:
One who won't participate in the fun, perhaps in singing "Happy Birthday"
Spoiler
If you think about it for a second "party pooper" is a pretty darn funny phrase :)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 pm Of course, Eric should be counting his blessings, too. Getting all 3 DDs correct and actually trailing heading into FJ is something I have never, ever seen on the show before. Archive sleuths?
I found 24 games in the Archive where that happened, the most recent being March 18, 2016.

ETA: Even rarer is getting all three DDs wrong and still leading going into FJ — I could only find 12 such occasions.
Last edited by cheezguyty on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Dr. Seuss died 25 years ago? I remember it like it was yesterday! (I remember I was in university reading about it in the student newsletter.) Damn, I'm old.
Volante wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 pm

Can anyone provide the transliterated text of his Klingon "Happy Birthday"? The closed caption stream just says "Sings Happy Birthday in Klingon".
Probably one of these... http://www.klingon.org/smboard/index.php?topic=1867.0
Doesn't quite sound like any of those.

From my basic knowledge of Klingon (which is the same as my knowledge of a lot of languages, enough to recognize it and its structure, not enough to translate it), he sang something like:

duQoS yaSo
duQoS yaSo
duQoS 'jub Alex
duQoS yaSo

I wouldn't use that as the "official" transcription, as I'm not at all the least bit positive that what I typed were even real Klingon words (such as can be for a constructed language), but the words I heard definitely weren't among those listed, and can be roughly transliterated like the above.

(I find this often occurs with language such as Klingon, as everyone has a different way to say a non-canonical phrase. I learned long ago that Merry Christmas is toDwIma QoS yItIvQu' (roughly translated as "enjoy the birthday of the one who saves us"), but I have seen at least three other phrases presented as *the* Klingon translation for the phrase, and rarely the one I learned long ago.)

[/nerd]
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Got FJ after a very brief consideration of "Cats". Obviously no revolution link so made a beeline for Les Miserable.

Yes, that final wager was just plain bizarre.

(Board newbie question: What does the acronym TOM stand for? Most of the others I've been able to figure out).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:24 am(Board newbie question: What does the acronym TOM stand for? Most of the others I've been able to figure out).
Tease Out Metric. (J-Archive Glossary doubles as board glossary too.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

I thought FJ might be Hair, but a quick date check immediately showed me that 1985 was way too late, so I got to the right answer in time.
davey mcdaveface

Post by davey mcdaveface »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:39 pm
xxaaaxx wrote:Oh that FJ wager. That had to be the Revenge of the Nice Round Number, because it didn't cover a double up, and it didn't even cover him if he bet to keep 3rd locked out.
PanthersFan1 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:03 pm Eric's wager was not that much better cause he let 3rd back in the game when he had him locked out
Yep. If Julie had wagered 8201, I could understand and forgive it. But if I'm in Eric's spot, no way I'm gonna bet more than 8799.
Why $8201? Did you mean $8200 to cover a $8799 wager by Eric?

I can't make sense of any of the wagers. They must not supply calculators.

I would have guessed $14201 for Julie, $1800 for Brook, and $14800 for Eric but there are several other strategies.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:38 am
heppm01 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:24 am(Board newbie question: What does the acronym TOM stand for? Most of the others I've been able to figure out).
Tease Out Metric. (J-Archive Glossary doubles as board glossary too.)
I've always felt TOM is used incorrectly a lot on this board. As the definition says it's supposed to be a measure (metric) of the ability of a clue to be solved based on the peripheral information. Many people seem to use it when what they really mean is "what was the hint?"
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:14 pm Ok..I guess I will start. Missed FJ..Is there a TOM?
I will join you in the Thread of Shame. 1985...lessee...way to late to be Carousel (yes, I was entertaining the notion that "revolution" might mean "going around" :? ), what could Cats possibly have to do with revolution...I suck at Broadway musicals...wrote down A Chorus Line just because Broadway makes me think of Fosse's great movie All That Jazz.

The only category I hate more than Broadway musicals is Opera. At least I know where I should start studying if/when I get serious about pushing out of the low 40s on the online test.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Could've run Dead But Still Earning, but I blanked on Elizabeth Taylor which caused me to clam on McQueen.

Should I know that Idaho has lots of Mormons? I went with coin flipping Illinois/Indiana since I figured it made sense for a Bible Belt state.

NHO Heather Locklear that I recall.

I was also dancing all around "toric" but couldn't quite pull it up.

No guess, no idea how this was gettable much less triply so.