A Missed Daily Double is not Lach Trash

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

A Missed Daily Double is not Lach Trash

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I would have posted this in a game thread, but I have seen multiple posters do this and I do not wish to single any one of them out:

Missed Daily Doubles are not counted in J! Archive calculations of potential Lach Trash.

A clue is only Lach Trash if all three contestants have an opportunity to respond to the clue (hence the term "Triple Stumper").

I also don't know if this is a salient debatable point, either, as even if there was a groundswell to make the change, it might be too difficult to adjust the calculations at this point anyway.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: A Missed Daily Double is not Lach Trash

Post by mcsheffrey »

It wouldn't make sense to change it anyways. The whole point of Lach trash is that it's dollars that you would have been guaranteed to pick up if you were standing in for any of the players in that game. In the case of a DD nobody can say with certainty if they would have been the recipient of the clue so they can't be certain of getting those dollars.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

mcsheffrey wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:27 pm It wouldn't make sense to change it anyways. The whole point of Lach trash is that it's dollars that you would have been guaranteed to pick up if you were standing in for any of the players in that game. In the case of a DD nobody can say with certainty if they would have been the recipient of the clue so they can't be certain of getting those dollars.
Unless they Lach trashed the previous clue. And were reasonably sure they would have selected the same clue as the contestant did.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 pm I would have posted this in a game thread, but I have seen multiple posters do this and I do not wish to single any one of them out:
do what? violate the sanctity of the game thread? i've tossed in a simple question or two that are not directly topical because I didn't want to boost the thread count with a junk question. i don't think im ready for a tfb thread, lol..
Missed Daily Doubles are not counted in J! Archive calculations of potential Lach Trash.

A clue is only Lach Trash if all three contestants have an opportunity to respond to the clue (hence the term "Triple Stumper").

I also don't know if this is a salient debatable point, either, as even if there was a groundswell to make the change, it might be too difficult to adjust the calculations at this point anyway.
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but are triple misses being counted? They would be the sweetest species of LT, especially if you knew it before the triple fail.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:38 pm Apologies if this is a dumb question, but are triple misses being counted? They would be the sweetest species of LT, especially if you knew it before the triple fail.
Yes, clues on which all three players negged do count in the Lach Trash total (as all three players did have the opportunity to respond correctly).
Andy Saunders
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:38 pm Apologies if this is a dumb question, but are triple misses being counted? They would be the sweetest species of LT, especially if you knew it before the triple fail.
Yes, clues on which all three players negged do count in the Lach Trash total (as all three players did have the opportunity to respond correctly).
Lately I've thought there should be a way to distinguish between ones where one (or all three) of the contestants don't answer it correctly but no one answers correctly, and ones where no one rings in at all. I feel the proper term for the latter should be "stand and stare", there doesn't seem to be a good term for the former that's already in common use (except "Triple Stumper" can fit for a three-miss clue (that Alex will invariably say "no harm, no foul" on.). I'll admit I use the terms interchangeably and there's no good terms to use in all situations, but i agree it's s good distinction.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 am
Lately I've thought there should be a way to distinguish between ones where one (or all three) of the contestants don't answer it correctly but no one answers correctly, and ones where no one rings in at all. I feel the proper term for the latter should be "stand and stare", there doesn't seem to be a good term for the former that's already in common use (except "Triple Stumper" can fit for a three-miss clue (that Alex will invariably say "no harm, no foul" on.). I'll admit I use the terms interchangeably and there's no good terms to use in all situations, but i agree it's s good distinction.
This is the distinction I meant to make. Indeed, it is the triple miss that must be the sweetest Lach Trash, not the miss-miss-clam, or the stand and stare TS. But, each triple miss has it's own vibe - contestants guessing the wrong 3 states out of the four corners on a low value guess-me clue is a cheap NHNF unless you knew the answer up front.

I know there are some facts and stats someplace on this site or the archive that I don't want to look into because I'll get lost in the rabbit hole and lose my job!

thanks
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Even if all three had rang in and negged tonight on the
Spoiler
playing card
answer?
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:02 pm
Even if all three had rang in and negged tonight on the
Spoiler
playing card
answer?
J!Archive doesn't know that something has four possible answers — so, to maintain the integrity of statistical compilation, absolutely.
Andy Saunders