Monday, April 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Leviathan is a journal put out 3 times a year by an organization dedicated to this author & his works

Pat Greiner: 7700+6501=14201
Greg Chin: 17200-1000=16200 (New Champ)
Maren Beazer: 7100-7099=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Herman Melville (Greg – Thomas Hobbes) (Maren – Twain)

Daily Doubles
Pat: 3400+1500
Pat: 6300-3000
Maren: 2600+2500

Coryats
Pat: 9600
Greg: 17200
Maren: 6200

Combined: 33,000

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

With Greg playing all over the board the 1st segment gave a taste of all six categories.

J! got another Smurfs promotion in and this time with a clue. (The movie came in third at the box office this past weekend with $14M well behind The Boss Baby and Beauty and the Beast.)

Alex was cold when Maren played DD3 and considered her wager, “You are not a major threat.”

The players refused to go along with Alex saying, “Dom-ih-nee-ca” as they preferred, “Doe-min-ih-ca.”

Ouch on Pat’s “lava” to conclude the DJ! round as it handed the match to Greg and took away Pat’s opportunity to take the game on her sole solve of the FJ! clue. Somehow Maren could not hear me yelling, “Pumice!” with her chance to break the lock.

Perhaps I may have been working my way to the correct guy for the FJ! clue, but I did not get there in time. First I thought of Verne. Non, French. Leviathan to Hobbes was my next thought and I get why Greg went there to avoid a blank screen.

Thinking leviathan like a sea monster had me go to the horror field. I knew it was not Stephen King and I had a few second’s worth of blank as I tried to recall Lovecraft that I wrote to have something.

As time was up I was mentally ready to switch to Peter Benchley and from there it’s possible I could have worked my way to the correct guy.

I got by on Friday with a work I’ve never read or seen adapted to the screen. It did not go as well today.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had to go underground for this game since my governor decided to resign today. Good thing the reddit guy didn't decide to use my station today.

Tough break for Pat on that late miss, costing her the game. No chance for me on FJ.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Is it badgerfellow today? Anyways, congrats to Greg. Neither he nor Pat are going to forget pumice, I think.

Greg hunted for DDs and ended with nothing
Still a lock... What will the week bring?

The DD clue on uge did make my head spin. No get on FJ either.. Hobbes too, eventhough it felt wrong.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This is a good case for sometimes knowing too little and blessed with ignorance, FJ seemed like a Kids' Week clue. I had to google Greg's response. :oops:

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:58 pm
Is it badgerfellow today? Anyways, congrats to Greg. Neither he nor Pat are going to forget pumice, I think.

The DD clue on uge did make my head spin. No get on FJ either.. Hobbes too, eventhough it felt wrong.
I'm on Wednesday.

From the stands, I honed in on Hobbes right away, but couldn't think in time of an American author.

Greg almost running the NBA category was big. $5600 in Coryat right there.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

badgerfellow wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:07 pm
doihavetoreally wrote:

I'm on Wednesday.

From the stands, I honed in on Hobbes right away, but couldn't think in time of an American author.

Oh ok. Anything you want to add watching it from the studio?
Oh yes.. Greg did well in NBA category. It was pretty straight forward though.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:19 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:07 pm
doihavetoreally wrote:

I'm on Wednesday.

Oh ok. Anything you want to add watching it from the studio?
Oh yes.. Greg did well in NBA category. It was pretty straight forward though.
NBA may have been straightforward for some, but I could see if you're not up on your pro basketball that it would be hard. (Yes, it was 5/5 for me as well.)

Fairly clean taping, no big edits needed. Surprised they went LTAM in single Jeopardy.

ETA: I wrote that last comment before watching game again. There was no LTAM in single.
Last edited by badgerfellow on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I know a lot of contestants don't look at the scores while playing (because there are a million other things going through their minds), but the defending champ took herself out of the game with the $2000 miss. If she had said nothing and ChinG had answered correctly, he still wouldn't have had a runaway. It's a long shot, but $19200 to $9700 isn't an insurmountable lead, and she was the only one who got FJ.
Who else isn't super-knowledgeable about classical music but got "Jupiter" before the audio played?
Hoping for a third lap

The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I thought of Thomas Hobbes at first then thought, "wait, wasn't he British? Maybe I'm thinking of Thomas Paine," so I went with Paine. Admittedly, Melville crossed my mind, but I didn't consider him seriously for whatever reason.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

sarisson wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:37 pm
Who else isn't super-knowledgeable about classical music but got "Jupiter" before the audio played?
*raises hand*

So... Anyone else think of Clive Barker first because of Leviathan in the Hellraiser movies? Fortunately, after assuring myself that that would never come up in FJ (and remembering the category), I thought of the correct response.

Leander

Post by Leander »

sarisson wrote:

Actually, I thought that if you didn't know enough about Mozart to get it from the written clue, the audio probably wouldn't help.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Animated Characters and Animal Literature? Sweet.

Smurfs promotions two days in a row? Ugh.

Ran Animated Characters easily.

Didn't know "Night of the Iguana" or "Welcome to the Monkey House", so I was 3/5. Was expecting them all to be kiddie. And they still won't give me "The Wainscott Weasel" damn it.

Rookie was ridiculously YEKIOYD. I've barely heard of the Spurs, never mind any of their players.

Someone else patented the telephone too? This I did not know.

Lach Trash: "et".

Leviathan = water = uh... ... ... I got nothin'. So obvious in hindsight, but I just couldn't pull even a WAG.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Leander wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:14 pm
sarisson wrote:

Actually, I thought that if you didn't know enough about Mozart to get it from the written clue, the audio probably wouldn't help.
I thought the same thing.

I knew the correct response right away, and since the Jupiter Symphony came up in the LL Just Maps mini-league last week it was fairly fresh in my mind.

soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Elijah Baley wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:05 pm
This is a good case for sometimes knowing too little and blessed with ignorance, FJ seemed like a Kids' Week clue. I had to google Greg's response. :oops:
I, on the other hand, came into the room when the clue was starting and didn't see the category and instantly said, "The Leviathan" without giving it a second thought.

mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

Leander wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:14 pm
sarisson wrote:

Or, in my case you read the clue and think Jupiter immediately but upon hearing the music think, "Oh, that sounds fast and lively, maybe he had symphonies for different gods...I'll go with Mercury." Oops.

On FJ, I was certain that it was Hobbes and couldn't figure out what in the clue would lead to Melville. Wasn't until I came here to re-read the clue that I finally noticed the category...grrrrrr. Of course, the end of the game was far more infuriating for Pat than me.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The game was basically a runaway for all of Double Jeopardy except for the moment on the penultimate clue where Pat correctly answered champagne. Then it was not a runaway. If Pat had stayed clam on that final clue instead of giving her weak answer of lava she would have won the game.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Goathoughts: "O! Leviathan = Hobbes... wait, 17th C British guy... but, category = AMERICAN authors... OFGS, ummm... Jonah was eaten by a whale right? Er- A WHITE whale?!? Yeah, Okay, it's a really negbaitish way of asking about an author everyone knows; "From Hell's heart I stab at thee, to the last I grapple thee, I spit my dying breath at thee!" Yay... another impossibly obscure clue worked out. This was a long reach.

43R LT: 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation; Latin 'and' = et; Darius lost Marathon; B-52; pumice. :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!