Monday, April 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

Surprised at any confusion over FJ - even forgetting the category (which I almost did), a journal named after his most famous book seemed a little too on the nose for Hobbes. Melville was just a short step beyond...
Had to laugh when Greg seemed to think that humans only have one orifice...

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Leander wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:14 pm
sarisson wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:37 pm

Who else isn't super-knowledgeable about classical music but got "Jupiter" before the audio played?
Actually, I thought that if you didn't know enough about Mozart to get it from the written clue, the audio probably wouldn't help.
Pretty much. Though I went full nerd and said "41st symphony" (They just said -shares- its name with a god and planet, not specifically what name that is.)

I started writing Hob... before realizing "American Authors" and quickly switched to Melville.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Huntsman: Winter's War (6), Batman: The Killing Joke (7), The Immortal Story (7), Ratchet & Clank (6)

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I was rooting for Pat, so it was especially unfortunate to realize she gifted the victory to her opponent not once, but twice.

First by betting only $1500 instead of all $3400 on her first round DD. And secondly by that $2000 neg for the last clue of the game with "lava", locking herself out. If not for either error, she is just within striking distance and wins on a FJ sole solve. Ugh.

Nevertheless, a strong game by the new champion Greg, who was quite unlucky to get 0 DDs.

LT: centrifuge

FJ: Took me 10-15 seconds, but I got to Melville. Greg's answer had me shaking my head; the ENTIRE reason the category was "American Authors" was to avoid people going with the Englishman Thomas Hobbes.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

We learned a month ago that Melville only has one fan on this board and it's me: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4043

Check out page 4 for disparaging comments about Moby Dick. Fine whale literature is simply not appreciated everywhere. :D

I definitely missed FJ and I'm already surprised at the number of people who got it easily. Melville never even crossed my mind. I spent the clue trying to remember if it was definitely Thomas Hobbes or if it was Calvin Hobbes or Calvin & Hobbes or Thomas Paine and eventually I just guessed "Hobbes" without consideration of the category.

I missed Darius the Great and guessed Cyrus the Great. It's pretty easy to get confused about Cyrus, Darius, and Xerxes especially when there are multiple people with the same name and impostors. Darius the Great was defeated at the Battle of Marathon. I might be able to remember that now.

Was Tim Duncan playing on the Spurs a bottom-row clue?

I got Alexander Graham Bell and Elisha Gray. They both filed a patent for the telephone on the same day and provide one of the simplest counter-arguments to the great man theory for developing technology.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

MattKnowles wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Top row. Bottom row was Blake Griffin.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

badgerfellow wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:53 pm
MattKnowles wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Top row. Bottom row was Blake Griffin.
Thanks. I was concerned.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:05 pm
This is a good case for sometimes knowing too little and blessed with ignorance, FJ seemed like a Kids' Week clue.
Same. I figured this was going to be one of those 90% get rate FJs. Obviously not.

Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:32 pm
Smurfs promotions two days in a row? Ugh.
Amen...I couldn't help forming a megaphone with my hands around my mouth and let out "YES, WE GOT TO GET IN AS MANY SMURFS PROMOS AS POSSIBLE!" at my TV. And I said that as someone who has always loved the original/best 80s cartoons... *sighs*

(I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the second movie will be exactly like the first in that it does alright in North America, but really rakes in the bucks in Europe and Asia...that very thing is why the first Smurfs movie was considered a success.)

I said, confidently to the nines, H.P. Lovecraft for FJ, and did not back down from that answer. When Melville was revealed, I let out a 'D'oh!' because yes, Leviathan being referenced in Moby Dick makes a whale of a lot of sense. But I could see someone who brought forth the Cthulhu mythos writing about Leviathan as well.

Ran Animated Characters and Happy Anniversary (including the Old Farmer's Almanac DD). And almost ran Caves (got dethroned by Darius), Animal Lit Fill-In (slipped on a banana peel in Kurt Vonnegut's (Welcome To The) Monkey House), Equal (tantamount tantalized me), Sign (did not get 'et', which would not have paid), and Classical Music (including the Jupiter DD, but got burned by the (royal) fireworks). Also got the centrifuge DD and pumice LT.

Honestly, H.P. Lovecraft would have been a MUCH COOLER correct response. Oh well...maybe in a parallel/alternate universe...

Once, twice, three times I edited. A new personal record.
Last edited by Maven on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I count 7/16 for getting Melville so I'll take that 43% to make under 50% on the weekly poll. It's one of those that is not as easy or not has hard as may have appeared based on one's personal result of facing the clue.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Another good FJ, gettable if you run enough traps.

I just KNEW I could Pavlov this term to a work of literature, but derailed myself by 1) paying no attention to the category, and 2) therefore derailing into Gulliver's travels and Johnathan Swift. Lilliputian, check; Brobdingnagian (thanks spell check), check. Leviathan- wait, that doesn't seem right. Just to have a guess, I stuck with Swift, knowing it would be something I should have solved.

I didn't realize Pat was still in the game until the late boo-boos. She got a tricky DD which I also negged because - I lost track of the category and the freebie 'uge' in centrifuge.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Animated (4), Caves (3), Happy (4), Lit (3), Equal (2), Sign (2)
Dominica (1), Music (2), NBA (5), Fact (3), Age (4), "UGE" (3)

No Lach Trash.

I guess "Leviathan" made me think of Moby Dick, and I knew Melville was American; perhaps I had seen the reference before and it was in the back of my mind. Still, I didn't go with my guess until the end of the music.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:45 pm
I count 7/16 for getting Melville so I'll take that 43% to make under 50% on the weekly poll. It's one of those that is not as easy or not has hard as may have appeared based on one's personal result of facing the clue.
Just to join the straw poll, I got the FJ. I thought it was an elegantly constructed clue. If you didn't recall the reference from the book (as I didn't, never having read the novel), you had to think "Leviathan = giant sea monster," and make the leap from there to "That sounds like the white whale in Moby Dick." It probably helped that Melville was one of the authors whom I'd precalled.

As for Greg's guess of Hobbes, perhaps he'll stop by here to explain, but I would assume he simply forgot the category. Also, I would think it would be very unlikely for the writers on a non-Kids Week episode to construct an FJ clue that essentially only asked to identify the author of the book Leviathan, since they gave you that word in the clue (although clues seeking that work's author, or conversely asking for the name of Hobbes's famous work, have come up numerous times over the years in non-FJ rounds).

I had "proportional response" for "proportionate response," and there are enough google hits to convince me that I would be have been credited for that.

The only reason I could identify the Mozart symphony was due to its appearance in the LL MiniLeague last week. I missed it then, and I would have clammed on the clue on the tape date for tonight's episode, but I got it tonight. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Maven wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:39 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:32 pm
Smurfs promotions two days in a row? Ugh.
(I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the second movie will be exactly like the first in that it does alright in North America, but really rakes in the bucks in Europe and Asia...that very thing is why the first Smurfs movie was considered a success.)
To my surprise (I visit BoxOfficeMojo regularly), this is indeed true of the first two Smurfs movies. While most modern blockbusters make most of their money overseas, the two Smurfs movies hitting only 20% and 25% domestically is unusually low. I wonder why that is?

After all, the 80's cartoon was absolutely dire, and brings the lie to the idea that animated shows back then were necessarily good.
Maven wrote: I said, confidently to the nines, H.P. Lovecraft for FJ, and did not back down from that answer.
Have you read Lovecraft's stories?

Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

I caught a glimpse of Cthulhu last night and apparently completely lost my mind...my apologies to IronNeck and all posters, and that times infinity (and beyond).
IronNeck wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:23 am
Huh? I don't hate you in the least. Where did you get this impression from any part of my post? I wouldn't have bothered replying in the first place if I disliked you. In fact, I don't "hate" anyone here.

But very well, since you are so jubilant about hating me (on what basis I don't know, since this appears to be our first interaction), I won't reply to any of your posts in the future.
Last edited by Maven on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

IronNeck wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:40 pm
I was rooting for Pat, so it was especially unfortunate to realize she gifted the victory to her opponent not once, but twice.

First by betting only $1500 instead of all $3400 on her first round DD. And secondly by that $2000 neg for the last clue of the game with "lava", locking herself out. If not for either error, she is just within striking distance and wins on a FJ sole solve. Ugh.
She also had negs on at least two needless guesses, which could be factored in.

Unrelated.... There seemed to be a breakdown on the 'Luge' clue. I'm not sure if they where asking for the term for the person that rides a luge or the sled itself. I thought it was the former and maybe Greg also misheard the clue. I thought it was a crap clue, if that's what they were asking.

theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

I initially jumped to Hobbes on FJ, but I was pretty sure he wasn't American. The thought process from there was Leviathan > whale > Moby-Dick > Melville.

The middle clue in NBA was a case of knowing too much for me...I thought they were asking for their college teams (KAT went to Kentucky and Wiggins went to Kansas, I believe) and I didn't come around quickly enough to figure out what they meant. I think, though, that had I seen the Duncan clue first, I would've known what they were asking for.

Count me in as someone who didn't get what the writers were going for with lugers/lugemen/lugewomen/lugepeople. Asking for "luge" would have been much more elegant (and it's not like it really negbaits "skeleton" because of the clue).

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

For Jeopardy! purposes, they should be called Luguenots, but then they wouldn't fit the category.

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Maven wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:09 am

Somebody hates me. Guess what? I hate you too. Isn't it awesome to be on even ground? :D

(The only other time I'll feed an apparent troll...promise.)
Huh? I don't hate you in the least. Where did you get this impression from any part of my post? I wouldn't have bothered replying in the first place if I disliked you. In fact, I don't "hate" anyone here.

But very well, since you are so jubilant about hating me (on what basis I don't know, since this appears to be our first interaction), I won't reply to any of your posts in the future.

davey

Post by davey »

theamazingchong wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:00 am
I initially jumped to Hobbes on FJ, but I was pretty sure he wasn't American. The thought process from there was Leviathan > whale > Moby-Dick > Melville.

The middle clue in NBA was a case of knowing too much for me...I thought they were asking for their college teams (KAT went to Kentucky and Wiggins went to Kansas, I believe) and I didn't come around quickly enough to figure out what they meant. I think, though, that had I seen the Duncan clue first, I would've known what they were asking for.

Count me in as someone who didn't get what the writers were going for with lugers/lugemen/lugewomen/lugepeople. Asking for "luge" would have been much more elegant (and it's not like it really negbaits "skeleton" because of the clue).
The term is luger (which seems instinctive to me). It was Greg who complicated it, but I think they were right to accept his "luge men," even though "lugester" doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

floridagator wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:57 pm
The game was basically a runaway for all of Double Jeopardy except for the moment on the penultimate clue where Pat correctly answered champagne. Then it was not a runaway. If Pat had stayed clam on that final clue instead of giving her weak answer of lava she would have won the game.
I'll have to wait to see the clue again, and pumice is what came to mind, but pumice is a type of lava, right? That segment just went by quickly so maybe lava really didn't fit the clue.