Monday, April 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 am
floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:57 pm The game was basically a runaway for all of Double Jeopardy except for the moment on the penultimate clue where Pat correctly answered champagne. Then it was not a runaway. If Pat had stayed clam on that final clue instead of giving her weak answer of lava she would have won the game.
I'll have to wait to see the clue again, and pumice is what came to mind, but pumice is a type of lava, right? That segment just went by quickly so maybe lava really didn't fit the clue.
As a volcanic island, Dominica has this as its main mineral commodity, for all your scouring needs

Right, lava really didn't fit the clue.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

On FJ, I instantly thought of Moby Dick, but blanked on who wrote Moby Dick. I didn't get it until after the think music stopped. Stupid, stupid, brain.
Teems with quiet fun.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did anyone else think it was kind of funny how everyone except Alex continued to pronounce Dominica wrong even after he pointedly pronounced it dom-min-eeka several times?
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:57 pm The game was basically a runaway for all of Double Jeopardy except for the moment on the penultimate clue where Pat correctly answered champagne. Then it was not a runaway. If Pat had stayed clam on that final clue instead of giving her weak answer of lava she would have won the game.
I'll have to wait to see the clue again, and pumice is what came to mind, but pumice is a type of lava, right? That segment just went by quickly so maybe lava really didn't fit the clue.
I believe the word "mineral" was in the clue so I'd call it a category error.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

immaf wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:28 am On FJ, I instantly thought of Moby Dick, but blanked on who wrote Moby Dick. I didn't get it until after the think music stopped. Stupid, stupid, brain.
It could be worse. I literally couldn't think of any possible responses at all. Seriously, why do I blank on things ALL THE TIME?!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 am Did anyone else think it was kind of funny how everyone except Alex continued to pronounce Dominica wrong even after he pointedly pronounced it dom-min-eeka several times?
I wondered if they thought Alex was pronouncing it wrong or what. Because he probably said it 5 times, right? And it seems like something they could have addressed briefly after revealing that category, even if they then edit it out for the sake of time. It's not like they don't sometimes go into substantial detail about some categories!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:08 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 am Did anyone else think it was kind of funny how everyone except Alex continued to pronounce Dominica wrong even after he pointedly pronounced it dom-min-eeka several times?
I wondered if they thought Alex was pronouncing it wrong or what. Because he probably said it 5 times, right? And it seems like something they could have addressed briefly after revealing that category, even if they then edit it out for the sake of time. It's not like they don't sometimes go into substantial detail about some categories!
I got a kick out of the little tug-o-war myself. If I were a smart fellow, and on the show, it would be hard for me to resist asking Alex - "I'll take Dominatrix for $1000 please". Then of course the follow up would be: "Thank you, may I have another".

I suck at the re-quoting thing here but viz a viz the lava/pumice discussion- as a teenager rock collector, I have always considered lava to include the three sub-types of basalt, pumice, and obsidian.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,600
43 R/5 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: et; Darius the Great; centrifuge (DD); Alexander Graham Bell & Elisha Gray; pumice

I knew that Hobbes was English, but I never really thought through the clue enough to go down the Leviathan --> sea monster --> Moby Dick --> Melville path. Wrote down L. Ron Hubbard just to have something.

I am both surprised and disappointed that knowing that
Spoiler
Roseau
is the capital of Dominica didn't net me $2000.
davey wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 am The term is luger (which seems instinctive to me). It was Greg who complicated it, but I think they were right to accept his "luge men," even though "lugester" doesn't exist as far as I can tell.
It's the only sport where even if you win, you're still a luger.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am If I were a smart fellow, and on the show, it would be hard for me to resist asking Alex - "I'll take Dominatrix for $1000 please".
I bet you'd find a way not to say that, since it was DJ.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:09 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am If I were a smart fellow, and on the show, it would be hard for me to resist asking Alex - "I'll take Dominatrix for $1000 please".
I bet you'd find a way not to say that, since it was DJ.
Therefore the "If I were a smart fellow". Mea Culpa. I even game planned the joke at $400 to be safe/redundant and decided a high end D would probably be 1 grand in Culver City. Still, I kill myself.. I have to tell the missus how funny I am.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BobF

Post by BobF »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:24 am
As a volcanic island, Dominica has this as its main mineral commodity, for all your scouring needs

You don't scour with lava? That's how I got rid of my acne as a teen!

(Disclaimer: Tongue-in-cheek humor. I don't endorse putting lava on one's face or any other body part.)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:34 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:05 pm This is a good case for sometimes knowing too little and blessed with ignorance, FJ seemed like a Kids' Week clue.
Same. I figured this was going to be one of those 90% get rate FJs. Obviously not.
I have seen many FJs that made me think, "How could ANYONE miss that?, only to see it become a triple stumper or a poll item with a very low percentage of gets.

This was the opposite, I suppose. I see lots of folks on this board who jumped on it immediately , yet I had nothing. Oh well.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

BobF wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:48 pm

(Disclaimer: Tongue-in-cheek humor. I don't endorse putting lava on one's face or any other body part.)
FWIW, there is a brand of soap called Lava, which contains ground pumice, so actually is used for scouring...
Last edited by TomFromMD on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

BobF wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Well, lava certainly would take care of your skin, at least in one sense of the phrase.

I'm trying to come up with an analogy; it would be like if the clue was: As a tropical island, Hawaii has this commodity for all of your sweet needs. If someone said "sugarcane" instead of "sugar," would they accept that?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:08 pm
I am both surprised and disappointed that knowing that
Spoiler
Roseau
is the capital of Dominica didn't net me $2000.
I precalled Roseau but wondered if they'd give its name and ask for its function. It's not a well-known capital. It's also a town near the Canadian border.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 am Another good FJ, gettable if you run enough traps.

I just KNEW I could Pavlov this term to a work of literature, but derailed myself by 1) paying no attention to the category, and 2) therefore derailing into Gulliver's travels and Johnathan Swift. Lilliputian, check; Brobdingnagian (thanks spell check), check. Leviathan- wait, that doesn't seem right. Just to have a guess, I stuck with Swift, knowing it would be something I should have solved.
Swift... who was actually Irish.

Leaned towards Hobbes, even though I was fairly certain that was wrong.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Maven wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:09 am I caught a glimpse of Cthulhu last night and apparently completely lost my mind...
Shhh...don't tell my wife :lol:

Took me about a third of the music to go from "Hobbes wasn't American! Leviathan dates from the 1600s!" to"big sea creature" to Moby Dick to Melville.

Got Darius, pumice; I use a pumice stone - not greenish soapstone with weird carvings - to clean my outdoor cooking grill.