Tuesday, April 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

I thought Steve's interview story was not what Alex was expecting! Oh Atissa - story about USSR and that DD? She is probably going to hear about that during her watch party.

Proud nonget on FJ - Americana and road --> route 66? Dismissed it as it is not going to be that easy. Narrowed it down to the right region, but having no clue of the song wording, settled with
Spoiler
Garden state parkway -- sounded like something that would be used in a song. Never would have thought it will be plain old turnpike name.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICANA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
There are rest stops named for Edison, Lombardi & Woodrow Wilson on this road mentioned in the 1968 song “America”

Greg Chin: 13800+7599=21399 (2x = $37,599)
Steve Gavenas: 10000-9999=1
Atissa Banuazizi: 2000+401=2401

Correct response:
Spoiler
New Jersey Turnpike (Greg – NJ Turnpike) (Steve – I 80)

Daily Doubles
Steve: 600+1000
Atissa: 200-2000
Atissa: minus 1000-1000

Coryats
Greg: 13800
Steve: 9600
Atissa: 5000

Combined: 28,400

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Greg dances all over the board, yet he is 0/6 for uncovering a Daily Double. The camera has to show the board for the category changes, so it eats up time making 27+28 for clues played typical.

I have no doubt the FJ! clue will be quite easy for those that get it in under five seconds. I am also sure I will have company in not solving the clue. Sometimes I have difficulty in simplifying the FJ! clues like today which was name a NJ road.

My problem was not taking the names in the clue to look specifically for a New Jersey road. My processing was more general for East. Cumberland Road and Appalachian Trail were the kinds of things coming to me.

For the song angle of “America” I had Neil Diamond, “My Country Tis of Thee” and the one from West Side Story. I have heard the S&G song previously and likely could have named them as the artist if I heard a snippet. Even with title, year and lyrics I did not know the song being referenced.

It did not matter as I know my brain would have done Central Park concert to NY anyway off S&G. My response to avoid the blank page was “Route 66.”

Atissa did not catch many breaks in the game until the end when Steve’s large wager and miss set her up for the 2nd place $2000.

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:08 pm
I thought Steve's interview story was not what Alex was expecting! Oh Atissa - story about USSR and that DD? She is probably going to hear about that during her watch party.

Proud nonget on FJ - Americana and road --> route 66? Dismissed it as it is not going to be that easy. Narrowed it down to the right region, but having no clue of the song wording, settled with
Spoiler
Garden state parkway -- sounded like something that would be used in a song. Never would have thought it will be plain old turnpike name.
I didn't get it because I know the song. I don't know the lyrics. I got it because I know those rest stops. --Bob

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

If I didn't know the song, I probably would have WAGged Route 66 or something. I'm guessing, like the players, there'll be more boardies who live in the northeast that will get it than won't. (Poll broken down by geography?) Fortunately, I forced myself to think of the song to get it, after that, knowing Edison is a Jerseyite (never knew about the other two) was confident going with it.

(Great song, btw)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

MDCSWildcats86
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Knew FJ cold (Again), but I associate the song with Yes more than S&G,

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Alex likes Alien? Wouldn't have guessed.

What was the TOM on the World Capitols DD? None of those sounded remotely Greek to me.

Black Water = Doobie Brothers was my only miss in #1. I honestly didn't know the Doobies had any big hits.

I didn't get the Royal They category. What were they looking for?

Bruno Mars was a stupid miss. I was stuck on female singers and couldn't think of any big singers with planetary names.

WLT "Debate" at $400?

Lach Trash: Lady Gaga, holding pattern, meatballs, earthenware, robusta

Edison -> NJ -> durrrrrrrrrr... Literally couldn't think of a single thing that fit. Embarrassing miss for the roadgeek.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Just listened to the song. I do not ever remember hearing that song before, so that, combined with not living in that area, meant absolutely zero chance I could've gotten it. Went with Route 66 because I had nothing better and, hey, sometimes the "too obvious to be right" answer actually is right. Not today, though.

"Terracotta" seemed really negbaity for that one clue. Hard to count that many letters that quickly.

Leander

Post by Leander »

As a proud son of the Garden State who still passes the Vince Lombardi rest stop at least once a month, and also knows the S&G song, I would have had to turn in my EZ Pass if I missed this one.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 pm
What was the TOM on the World Capitols DD? None of those sounded remotely Greek to me.
(I guess this is a time where you should not use the phrase "it's all Greek to me" if it sounds confusing.)

To be fair, even though my geography prowess is well-known here, I missed that too and thought the same thing. (Ran the rest of the cat though)
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I didn't get the Royal They category. What were they looking for?
Royal couples.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Edison -> NJ -> durrrrrrrrrr... Literally couldn't think of a single thing that fit. Embarrassing miss for the roadgeek.

You got further than I thought you would, but then I forgot you're a road geek.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vowela wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 pm
"Terracotta" seemed really negbaity for that one clue. Hard to count that many letters that quickly.
I thought the same thing but then I don't think it'd fit the category. (An argument could be made - ignoring the number of letters requirement (probably put there for that reason) - but if you're doing that, it wasn't what they were looking for and you're forcing it in.)

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

I sat next to Steve during the first game, and he was getting a lot of Lach Trash in the first game. Atissa was strong on the signaling device in rehearsal. When those two were picked, I expected it to be a good game. To me, it definitely was, although the board was a tough one. Lot of bad breaks for Atissa.

That final? Yeah, I'm one of those non-east coasters who didn't have a good guess. My music tastes are also more in line with TPH's (yep, ran country albums on Friday), so this was double no good.

soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

dhkendall wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:01 pm
If I didn't know the song, I probably would have WAGged Route 66 or something. I'm guessing, like the players, there'll be more boardies who live in the northeast that will get it than won't. (Poll broken down by geography?) Fortunately, I forced myself to think of the song to get it, after that, knowing Edison is a Jerseyite (never knew about the other two) was confident going with it.

(Great song, btw)
I doubt geography would make that much of a difference. I think the "America" part was much more important than the names of the rest stops. I got it immediately based on the song, but then thought, "Yeah, I've been to those rest stops before." Every time I'm on the NJ turnpike, I can't help but start counting the cars. There's a lot of them!

The song was also featured in a widely played (and great) commercial from this last election, so that could have helped it be in people's minds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nwRiuh1Cug

acthomas

Post by acthomas »

soxfan99 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:01 pm

(Great song, btw)
I doubt geography would make that much of a difference. I think the "America" part was much more important than the names of the rest stops. I got it immediately based on the song, but then thought, "Yeah, I've been to those rest stops before." Every time I'm on the NJ turnpike, I can't help but start counting the cars. There's a lot of them!

The song was also featured in a widely played (and great) commercial from this last election, so that could have helped it be in people's minds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nwRiuh1Cug
I WAGged Route 66 after my first bad guess, Ventura Highway, came from misreading the question (thanks, the band America!) But should have breathed in and thought about Edison, who's indelibly linked with NJ to me, and Woodrow Wilson's association with Princeton is enough.

Personally I thought this was a fantastic FJ clue even though I whiffed it -- two ways to work your way into the correct answer if you knew either tidbit.

Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Man, I really stunk it up on this game. I got the FJ! (after first going to Ventura Highway, before actually reading the clue) because S&G are among my favorites. But overall I only got 33 clues right. I did get the LT on holding pattern, interregnum, mercury and earthenware.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

First glance >>>Rt 66; then whoa! look three people associated with NJ... could it be... what's your exit!? :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Having lived most of my life in NJ or NYC, and having taken many road trips with my college debate team in which we stopped at rest stops along the NJ Turnpike (including the Vince Lombardi one with its trophy case), I found this FJ to my liking. :)

I had "Medflies" for Mediterranean fruit flies (That's what the media commonly called them when California had an infestation of them in the 1980s.) I'm confident that my alternative response, which is a recognized nickname for the species, would have been accepted.
dhkendall wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:52 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
(I guess this is a time where you should not use the phrase "it's all Greek to me" if it sounds confusing.)

To be fair, even though my geography prowess is well-known here, I missed that too and thought the same thing. (Ran the rest of the cat though).

In my case it helped that I've sailed out of Piraeus -- it's how you get from Athens to islands like Santorini. But even before that trip, I knew Piraeus from its mention in Plato's Republic. I NHO either of the other two ports mentioned in the clue, though. Does "Piraeus" sound Greek enough that the response was deducible on that basis? Of the other boardies who got this one, I'm curious how they knew it. And I request a poll question on this DD.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide