Tuesday, April 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by trainman »

spell4yr wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:45 pmA wildcard answer would be "What is I-95?", as even though it's not named as such in the song, I-95 overlaps the Turnpike past all three service areas.
That would have been counted wrong -- "I-95" is not in the lyrics of the song "America."
spell4yr
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by spell4yr »

trainman wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:43 pm
spell4yr wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:45 pmA wildcard answer would be "What is I-95?", as even though it's not named as such in the song, I-95 overlaps the Turnpike past all three service areas.
That would have been counted wrong -- "I-95" is not in the lyrics of the song "America."
Clue didn't say it was asking, specifically, for the exact verbiage used in the song.
It's no different than I-90-94/Dan Ryan in Chicago. Technically both would have to be counted correct if one were being asked for.

It's irrelevant as I instagot NJTP.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Instaget FJ; my brain is 85% song lyrics :mrgreen:
Also knew the Doobies / "Black Water"; got totally sick of that song and one of my high school classmates was a Doobie Brothers fanatic and such a straight arrow that there was no way he knew what "doobie" meant.

Got Nicholas II and Alexandra, mostly on the strength of Massie's fascinating book. Boards were fairly tough.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I know the song very well, but I got this one from driving past those rest stops a bunch of times recently.
davey

Post by davey »

spell4yr wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:44 pm
trainman wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:43 pm
Clue didn't say it was asking, specifically, for the exact verbiage used in the song.
It's no different than I-90-94/Dan Ryan in Chicago. Technically both would have to be counted correct if one were being asked for.

It's irrelevant as I instagot NJTP.
I think the judges would disagree about what "this road mentioned" calls for. It doesn't mean this road that overlaps a road mentioned...
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Happy to see interregnum back. A former FJ in a fave game of mine.
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... nterregnum
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

JyV92 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 pm Happy to see interregnum back. A former FJ in a fave game of mine.
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... nterregnum
I thought of you when that clue came up.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:58 am I was lucky the Simon and Garfunkel song was in my recent consciousness, as Choir! Choir! Choir! is doing an event in L.A. this Thursday where they'll be teaching the attendees a choral arrangement of "America," then leading a performance of it. Here's one from their home base in Toronto: https://youtube.com/watch?v=jieO8TgBqvI (it's the guys on stage who will be here; the rest is the "audience" which obviously varies from night to night). Chances are good I'll go and participate.
Update: I'm here!

edit: here's the Facebook video of the final performance. https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fb ... 4835898508
Attachments
IMG_1967.JPG
IMG_1967.JPG (134.06 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 pm Yes! All you have to do is bite an Octopus in the eye to get on J!
doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:08 pm I thought Steve's interview story was not what Alex was expecting!
Just watched this episode. Wow - that was some story. Where is the line exactly? I'm preparing for my first ever audition next month in NYC' and while I have plenty of personal stories I could tell, I'm having trouble assessing what's too boring, too gross, too random, too weird. I've been asking friends what they think (not Jeopardy! people) and I get all sorts of conflicting feedback. I read that article about the audition where the guy was asked what he'd do with the money and he said 'buy a cave to make cheese' and that's supposed to really creepy? I dunno, so the guy likes cheese - maybe it was in the delivery. I guess I'll just aim to bring my best self to the audition and not overthink it, but if anyone has any advice on this, lemme know!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:37 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 pm Yes! All you have to do is bite an Octopus in the eye to get on J!
doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:08 pm I thought Steve's interview story was not what Alex was expecting!
Just watched this episode. Wow - that was some story. Where is the line exactly? I'm preparing for my first ever audition next month in NYC' and while I have plenty of personal stories I could tell, I'm having trouble assessing what's too boring, too gross, too random, too weird. I've been asking friends what they think (not Jeopardy! people) and I get all sorts of conflicting feedback. I read that article about the audition where the guy was asked what he'd do with the money and he said 'buy a cave to make cheese' and that's supposed to really creepy? I dunno, so the guy likes cheese - maybe it was in the delivery. I guess I'll just aim to bring my best self to the audition and not overthink it, but if anyone has any advice on this, lemme know!
Don't limit yourself to just the anecdotes you've prepared and don't be startled if the contestant coordinator goes elsewhere. I had submitted about five anecdotes as requested, and knew what I was going to say. At the audition, the coordinator looked at my input, then asked an out-of-blue question about my employment history. I was a bit nonplussed and stammered my way through an answer. I was pretty sure I had blown the audition right there. So, be ready to discuss your anecdotes but don't let it throw you if they go a different direction. Best way I could put it would be to simply be "conversational among friendly strangers." If you wouldn't say it at an informal business lunch at your table during conversation before the main presentation started, probably not a good idea to discuss it at the audition.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.