Tuesday, April 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leander »

I thought it pretty well known that Piraeus is the port of Athens. I can't tie it for me to a book, etc., although I have been to Athens. NHO the other 2 ports.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Had FJ before I even read the last part with the song reference. The service area names were enough.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Poll request for the Athens DD seen. I guessed it right (I get to say something for a DD) with a combination of Piraeus looking Greek and from somewhere knowing it had an Athens connection. Rafina & Lavrion meant nothing to me.
davey

Post by davey »

Leander wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:09 pm I thought it pretty well known that Piraeus is the port of Athens. I can't tie it for me to a book, etc., although I have been to Athens. NHO the other 2 ports.
Same for me though I haven't been to Athens...
I have been to New Jersey...FJ was instant from both angles. Love the song...not so much the rest stops...;)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn't get any kicks guessing Route 66.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Is there a way I can make my synapses stop misfiring so hard? This was thrown right at me and I still missed it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I just drove past all those stops at oh dark 30 Friday morning, so I better not have missed this FJ.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Neither east nor west coast American. The rest stops meant nothing to me geographically. But on seeing a song called "America" my mind instantly went to the lyrics of the S&G song, and before Alex had finished reading the clue I had the NJ Turnpike.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

Tough FJ for me

Well, I have to admit that, since I didn't know that NJ has a turnpike, the only chance I would have had would have been to know the song cold, which I definitely did not. I whiffed it it with Route 66, which was only a few hours from my parents' place. With the Jessica category, NBA rookies and this one, I have had rough few days.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

My mother was highly annoyed at the $2000 clue for "Royal They", as she didn't understand why Nikolai II's reign was extended all the way to 1918. I don't understand it, either. He abdicated in 1917.

Glad I got the seaweed one for the miso soup clue, considering I eat it once a week at a Japanese restaurant, including 90 minutes before I watched the episode today.

Also one of the exceptionally rare times I got a TS about contemporary music.

LT: Lady Gaga, Neptune Society

FJ: Miss. Only famous road I could think of was Route 66. Also, of the three names, I only associated Edison with New Jersey.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I guessed "Ventura Highway" which is by the band America. I thought about Route 66 but didn't go with it. Having been stuck in traffic daily on Route 66 the same way others here have been stuck on the NJ turnpike lead me away from that response. I did not travel the entire length of Route 66 daily. That would suck. I'm familiar with the Simon and Garfunkel song "America" but I couldn't think of any song at the time of the clue. The NJ Turnpike is not featured that prominently in the song. I think this clue will poll a lot higher for people who have lived in that area.

J6! was kind of weak today. There was a J6! clue about Simon and Garfunkel and a clue about Grace Kelly which both had clues on tonight's program.

I guessed Nicolas II and Anastasia because I didn't know Alexandra's name. There was an Alexandria clue today and an Alexandra clue.

I got Athens because the ports sounded vaguely Greek and I guessed.

The Italian category was bad for me.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

IronNeck wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 pm

FJ: Miss. Only famous road I could think of was Route 66. Also, of the three names, I only associated Edison with New Jersey.
Wilson was governor of New Jersey and president of Princeton. Lombardi coached high school football in New Jersey, not quite sure how that merits a rest stop being named for him.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:53 pm
IronNeck wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Wilson was governor of New Jersey and president of Princeton. Lombardi coached high school football in New Jersey, not quite sure how that merits a rest stop being named for him.
It's Vince freakin' Lombardi. No bias in that statement, of course.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The only reason I got this FJ was because of a LL mini-league question a while back (JI American Places D8Q5). I was stumped at the time, mainly because rest areas here are just bathrooms, water fountains, vending machines, and a map that says "YOU ARE HERE". (The reference to a song I'm not sure I've heard didn't help here, though.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Peace (4), No. 1 (4), World (4), Wait"ER" (2), Fly (0), Soup (1)
Royal (3), TV (5), Library (3), Planet (2), Italian (1), Window (1)

Lach Trash: earthenware; Daily Double: Nicholas II & Alexandra

I knew Edison had his lab in Menlo Park, NJ; (figuring it was Vince) Lombardi spent his formative years in the NYC area (Fordham/Seven Blocks of Granite- didn't know he was a coach in NJ), and Wilson was president at Princeton and governor of New Jersey; figuring that was the right state, I just went with the most notable road there I could think of.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

For FJ it really helped to have grown up on the east coast rather than the west coast. I'm from VA but every time we drove up to NYC or to the Meadowlands for Army/Navy we took it, so I knew the rest stops and the S&G song helped to confirm.

Did Alex call it the "New Jersey Turnpark" though?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Yes! All you have to do is bite an Octopus in the eye to get on J!

I was proud to TOM out the NJ turnpike having never heard the song and only associating Edison with NJ whereabouts. I had to do the compulsory elimination of Route 66 (travel it daily), then what named highways do I know? Pac Coast, Dixie, something eastern, how about NJ pike...

FJ was a freebie to the Easterners - what with all the Maryland clues a month ago, it's time to spread the love. How about a clue about climbing in your bathtub and covering up with sofa cushions? (What do you do for a tornado, or on Tuesday?)

And there are 8 planets, why did Atissa flunk the category twice. Mercifully, the writers avoided a Pluto clue because I would have had to go all supernova on their ass.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 pm Edison -> NJ -> durrrrrrrrrr... Literally couldn't think of a single thing that fit. Embarrassing miss for the roadgeek.
I thought you'd get it since the song also features the lyrics "it took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw."
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:12 pm The only reason I got this FJ was because of a LL mini-league question a while back (JI American Places D8Q5). I was stumped at the time, mainly because rest areas here are just bathrooms, water fountains, vending machines, and a map that says "YOU ARE HERE". (The reference to a song I'm not sure I've heard didn't help here, though.)
Yeah, well, rest stops on the NJT have more amenities than that. They also tend to have restaurants (albeit of the fast food or Bob's Big Boy variety) -- which is why my college debate team stopped at them so often. I can't remember whether or not they also have gift shops, as it's been many years now since I've been in one.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:12 pm The only reason I got this FJ was because of a LL mini-league question a while back (JI American Places D8Q5). I was stumped at the time, mainly because rest areas here are just bathrooms, water fountains, vending machines, and a map that says "YOU ARE HERE". (The reference to a song I'm not sure I've heard didn't help here, though.)
And then here: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3019
So with my two misses banked, it turned into an easy get.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)