Thursday, April 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL SYMBOLS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Now representing an organization, it was formally adopted in Article 7 of the 1864 Geneva Convention

Jane Joseph: 13600-5000=8600
Lee Barrow: 8600+5000=13600
Deborah Beams: 13200+8800=22000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Red Cross (Jane – olive branch and dove)

Daily Doubles
Jane: 4200-1500
Jane: 5700+1500
Deborah: 8200+5000

Coryats
Jane: 15600
Lee: 8600
Deborah: 9800

Combined: 34,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

“B” MY LOVE $800 wanted a Central American country. Hmmm, choices, choices.

I will fault Jane zero for guessing the Vandellas on the Martha Davis clue since I did the same thing. It was a reflex thing that I could not take back in time. I should turn in my early ‘80s music card even though I quickly realized it was The Motels.

The FJ! round worked out in Deborah’s favor as her DD wager was a little shy to have her in the lead after the DJ! round.

Jane was working a little too hard on her FJ! clue response as I could see her still writing as music wound down. That told me she was in trouble. A miss is better than the potential she had of losing 22000 to 18600 from a leading position though.

I’m on a miss 2, get 2 pattern for the week with Friday determining the swing of 40% vs. 60% for the week. Give me a good category tomorrow, writers.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:36 pm
I’m on a miss 2, get 2 pattern for the week with Friday determining the swing of 40% vs. 60% for the week. Give me a good category tomorrow, writers.
Category isn't enough, give me a good clue.

I had nothing else than red Cross on FJ. It was so obvious that I thought there might be something tricky.

I was with contestants on the music category. Nothing I recognized.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Multi-day champs, Alex. I find endless strings of 1- and 2-day champs boring (needless to say, this hasn't been my favorite stretch of games).

Note to self: google The Motels :( :?:

After 20 seconds of grinding gears, black smoke billowing out of my ears, and random spluttering, I finally pulled wounded soldiers -> Red Cross out of the ether. That probably should've been instaget, but whatever.

What were those FJ wagers?
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Thought FJ would for sure be a triple get, as it seemed obvious to me. But Jane would've lost anyway with a correct response ... from the lead (huh?). 70s rock is in my wheelhouse, so Martha Davis And The Motels was easy LT (Take the L out of Lover and it's Over).

I have to admit I enjoy long-running champions, Alex, because I'll tune in each day thinking, "I wonder if this will be the day Ken Jennings loses." Like you hate the New England Patriots, but they still make pro football interesting to watch.
Last edited by Kenny on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I thought Lee resembled a young Dick Van Dyke.

This FJ, for me, was a good example of an "instaguess".

The Red Cross was one of several different things Naurae29 and I mentioned while brainstorming during the commercial break. Other things included the Olympic Rings, the peace sign, the Euro symbol, and the Amnesty International logo.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

how in America is "White Rabbit" a TS? :o Instaget on FJ. Also thought Martha Davis was with the Vandellas--mebbe put that in the poll?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another WEKIB response in FJ here.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:30 pm how in America is "White Rabbit" a TS? :o Instaget on FJ. Also thought Martha Davis was with the Vandellas--mebbe put that in the poll?
Martha Reeves.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

skullturf wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:15 pm This FJ, for me, was a good example of an "instaguess".
The Red Cross was one of several different things Naurae29 and I mentioned while brainstorming during the commercial break. Other things included the Olympic Rings, the peace sign, . . .
Those 3 were my precalls. It marked the 3rd time this week that the correct FJ response was one of my precalls. And it was an instaguess for me too. With the Geneva -- Swiss flag connection, it just felt right.

I thought about the Vandellas on the Martha Davis clue, but I stayed clam. So if there's a poll question on that, how I respond will depend on how the question is phrased.

I had a costly neg in the "rhymes with nada" category with "strada" for "autostrada."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:30 pm how in America is "White Rabbit" a TS? :o Instaget on FJ. Also thought Martha Davis was with the Vandellas--mebbe put that in the poll?
I had Martha SMITH (heard of her?) as the leader of the Motels. Tells you how much I know.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

They must have been generous on the pronunciation of Ghirardelli because the contestant didn't pronounce the r in it. And I thought I was the one who had blown it by pronouncing the r.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Deborah is very lucky indeed her DD wager of only $5,000 didn't end up costing her the game. She is finished whether she gets it wrong betting either $5,000 or the full $8,200, but in the case of getting it right, the latter would have put her in the lead, instead of still trailing, as she was.

Jane's betting was also quite poor, especially on FJ. She would still have lost had she gotten it correct.

In terms of trivia, however, this was a good, exciting game. Shockingly, I yet again got a LT about contemporary music. And yeah, I don't fault Jane for guessing The Vandellas, either. Very reasonable guess.

LT: Rabbit, Goodyear, Pussycat Dolls

FJ: Didn't understand what they were going for. Miss.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Red Cross. I missed Ghirardelli and guessed Garibaldi. Close enough right? Garibaldi was an Italian general involved in the unification of Italy and he was not a San Francisco confectioner. I'll try not to mix those two up again. I'm hungry now but I'm not sure if I want Italian food or chocolate - I get them mixed up sometimes.

What was the $1000 clue for Quechua? I don't think I've heard of that word.

Congrats to the winner, Deborah.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Count me as one who thought of the Vandellas, but something didn't seem quite right with that last name and I clammed. Never even heard of the Motels, though. But then, I'd guess few if any of you have heard of Clint Baker's New Orleans Jazz Band or the Midnight Serenaders. I count myself far in front. :)

As said above, "instaguess" described my thought process on FJ!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:46 pmWhat was the $1000 clue for Quechua? I don't think I've heard of that word.
Was that lagniappe? I apparently have seen it before, since I knew how to spell it, but I didn't know what it meant.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:27 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:46 pmWhat was the $1000 clue for Quechua? I don't think I've heard of that word.
Was that lagniappe? I apparently have seen it before, since I knew how to spell it, but I didn't know what it meant.
Thanks. That's it. It shows up as a response in the archive 2 times and is mentioned a 3rd time.

According to Wikipedia Mark Twain called it "a word worth traveling to New Orleans to get." I guess I saved myself a trip.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,200
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: mocha (DD), Boxster, rabbit, Charles Goodyear, Pussycat Dolls

I was rooting for fellow DFW resident Deborah, but I had to shake my head at that last DD wager. Bet. It. All.
seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:27 pm
I came across it in some children's book a few years back, but I had completely forgotten about it. Cool word.
Sprinkles are for winners.