Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Post Reply
User avatar
Prizes
Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:31 pm
Contact:

Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by Prizes » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi everyone, sorry to ask for this, but money's a bit tight at the moment, given my job only pays me around just over $25/week, as a recent college grad. I have an audition in New York City on April 21st, which while, I think it will be the time of my life, from accounts I've read elsewhere, let alone the prospect of spending an afternoon doing trivia, let alone J! trivia, is not economically feasible at present. Never thought I'd get quite this far in the show's process, as only a couple of years ago, I was afraid to take the J! test in fear of failure. No more, given my passing of said test last year, and (hopefully, with your help!) future audition.

Since I'm from RI, currently do not drive, I need some funds to cover both various cab rides (both NYC and RI; the latter given my distance from the train station) as well as train fare. I've been doing lots of work for game show folks, most notable for a certain J! sister game show, helping literally hundreds people get on Wheel, so hope springs eternal that this is my turn to shine on a game show, given I've been given such a tremendous opportunity. This would be an absolute life dream if I could make it on, although right now this step needs tending.

Time is of the essence, given the date is approaching quickly! Thank you so much for at the very least reading this message. That alone means a lot to me because it shows me all what amazing folks you are. If you would like to donate, thus avoiding my own Stratton's Dilemma, given my median point of funds collected/needed. My thanks will be eternal if you can spare the money, which can be done so at https://www.gofundme.com/jesspardy

Thank you in advance, love you all, keep up the outstanding work throughout the page. :)

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8001
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by dhkendall » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Prizes wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:25 pm
Hi everyone, sorry to ask for this, but money's a bit tight at the moment, given my job only pays me around just over $25/week, as a recent college grad. I have an audition in New York City on April 21st, which while, I think it will be the time of my life, from accounts I've read elsewhere, let alone the prospect of spending an afternoon doing trivia, let alone J! trivia, is not economically feasible at present. Never thought I'd get quite this far in the show's process, as only a couple of years ago, I was afraid to take the J! test in fear of failure. No more, given my passing of said test last year, and (hopefully, with your help!) future audition.

Since I'm from RI, currently do not drive, I need some funds to cover both various cab rides (both NYC and RI; the latter given my distance from the train station) as well as train fare. I've been doing lots of work for game show folks, most notable for a certain J! sister game show, helping literally hundreds people get on Wheel, so hope springs eternal that this is my turn to shine on a game show, given I've been given such a tremendous opportunity. This would be an absolute life dream if I could make it on, although right now this step needs tending.

Time is of the essence, given the date is approaching quickly! Thank you so much for at the very least reading this message. That alone means a lot to me because it shows me all what amazing folks you are. If you would like to donate, thus avoiding my own Stratton's Dilemma, given my median point of funds collected/needed. My thanks will be eternal if you can spare the money, which can be done so at https://www.gofundme.com/jesspardy

Thank you in advance, love you all, keep up the outstanding work throughout the page. :)
Good luck Jess!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
triviawayne
Got a Congratulations Email!
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by triviawayne » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:45 am

I'm curious, how do you help hundreds of people get on Wheel?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
Prizes
Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by Prizes » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:50 am

dhkendall wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:23 pm
Good luck Jess!
Thanks! Ever since I got this audition, quite a brighter outlook on life, and a better ability to synthesize information has come my way. Got a good feeling, but even if it's just getting my feet in the pool, rather than the full body experience, amazing memories to be had, surely.

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:45 am
I'm curious, how do you help hundreds of people get on Wheel?
Basically through a multi-step guide of tips and fellow contestants. I've written a super long guide about how to deal with the Wheelmobile, what helps folks stand out. Plus, given names in that respect with a giant raffle spinner, there are trends I've noticed with how certain slips are chosen (and those that aren't). Luck is half the battle here, let alone energy or hobbies, which are also emphasized, plus clips of actual events so people know what they're getting into and what level they'll need to raise to. We also keep a list of past puzzles used at these events exclusively to help folks feel at ease if a puzzle they know is on stage.

From there, we have an audition guide, albeit it not by me, where it tells you how to dress, and prep for every individual situation at the audition itself. For instance, Wheel's audition folks say dress business casual--we suggest you dress as you would on the show, as Jeopardy! suggests, thus maintaining a professional experience. The tips that stand out to coordinators (yell out VOWELS! when asked about Free Play strategy), just call the letter (rather than the all-too-frequent 'I'd like a...'), knowing that being intentionally Bankrupted is actually a good thing, etc.

Once on the show, we have many boardies on the show-like here-who can tell you their experiences, plus a bunch of folks who love to give out individual tips about letters to look for in the Bonus Round. What really sets that aspect of things apart is having huge lists of past puzzles (our little nod to the J! Archive), both overall and also sent to willing players prior to their tape date, be they of Prize Puzzle buzzwords, puzzles relating to that theme's week, including show specific words used. For instance, we have somebody scheduled to be a Boston-themed episode, so I sent him the puzzle WHERE EVERYBODY KNOWS YOUR NAME, in addition to about 30 others, plus about 50 traditional Prize Puzzle words (20% of players a season win the main game if only because of the trip's difference this round). This is, if the player wants it, is catered per individual. Sometimes the admins will do an offline mock game with a future player to help them adequately prep against typically fellow former alums, using custom built software. There are a few other tips, but you get the gist of it. Still trying to improve in this area, by making guides about non-taping things to do in Culver City, what to do about the media, and possibly post-Wheel blues this summer.

---

Thank you all SO much. This has been a tremendous effort to this point, and I cannot thank you enough what this means to me, let alone the big day. Just hoping my luck with the boards on-screen translates elsewhere...

User avatar
badgerfellow
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by badgerfellow » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Good luck Jess! Can definitely tell you that when you get the chance, you gotta take it. Let's make sure we keep this thread going so you can get to NYC and then Culver City!

Your insight on the Wheel audition is quite fascinating. Just from watching the show, I imagine there are a lot of bubbly personalities on their version of JBoard.
Follow me @trevorjmahoney

User avatar
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by ihavejeoprosy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:00 pm

How do you live in south county and not drive?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by Johnblue » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:43 pm

$25 a week in earnings? Good luck with getting to NYC.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:57 am

Johnblue wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:43 pm
$25 a week in earnings? Good luck with getting to NYC.
That would explain the crowdfunding, John.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - http://www.thejeopardyfan.com/

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 am

Prizes wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:25 pm
Hi everyone, sorry to ask for this, but money's a bit tight at the moment, given my job only pays me around just over $25/week, as a recent college grad. I have an audition in New York City on April 21st, which while, I think it will be the time of my life, from accounts I've read elsewhere, let alone the prospect of spending an afternoon doing trivia, let alone J! trivia, is not economically feasible at present. Never thought I'd get quite this far in the show's process, as only a couple of years ago, I was afraid to take the J! test in fear of failure. No more, given my passing of said test last year, and (hopefully, with your help!) future audition.

Since I'm from RI, currently do not drive, I need some funds to cover both various cab rides (both NYC and RI; the latter given my distance from the train station) as well as train fare. I've been doing lots of work for game show folks, most notable for a certain J! sister game show, helping literally hundreds people get on Wheel, so hope springs eternal that this is my turn to shine on a game show, given I've been given such a tremendous opportunity. This would be an absolute life dream if I could make it on, although right now this step needs tending.

Time is of the essence, given the date is approaching quickly! Thank you so much for at the very least reading this message. That alone means a lot to me because it shows me all what amazing folks you are. If you would like to donate, thus avoiding my own Stratton's Dilemma, given my median point of funds collected/needed. My thanks will be eternal if you can spare the money, which can be done so at https://www.gofundme.com/jesspardy

Thank you in advance, love you all, keep up the outstanding work throughout the page. :)
Jess:

Looks like your crowdfunding efforts appear to have been mostly successful. Congratulations, and best of luck on Friday!
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - http://www.thejeopardyfan.com/

User avatar
Prizes
Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by Prizes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:29 pm

badgerfellow wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:31 pm
Good luck Jess! Can definitely tell you that when you get the chance, you gotta take it. Let's make sure we keep this thread going so you can get to NYC and then Culver City!

Your insight on the Wheel audition is quite fascinating. Just from watching the show, I imagine there are a lot of bubbly personalities on their version of JBoard.
Thank you so kindly! That's how I view life and trying to get on these shows: If you've got the chance, run with it like the wind, right? Just hope my years of studying the world around me, both past and present have paid off enough. Practiced my stories, made sure to discuss those as well for the interview, plus the folks I know who have been on the show as references.

Glad you like the insight on Wheel auditions--we have lots of bubbly folks over there, to the point where a handful of us went to TCONA last year to rep Wheel, much as it's not a trivia show.
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:00 pm
How do you live in south county and not drive?
One car house, still at home, haven't many places to go as kind of a loner, much as I'd like to do some bar trivia around these parts. Hopefully, this will change soon, as it's something I'm going to genuinely tell Maggie what I'd do with the money (move to a new city, get a car, open YouTube channel for helping kids with some games).
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:57 am
Johnblue wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:43 pm
$25 a week in earnings? Good luck with getting to NYC.
That would explain the crowdfunding, John.
Heh, basically this.
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 am
Jess:

Looks like your crowdfunding efforts appear to have been mostly successful. Congratulations, and best of luck on Friday!
Indeed so, Andy! Things went beautifully here. Cannot believe what an amazingly warm community you all are, with SO much thanks to be given around. Lots of anonymous thanks but for those that wanted their name out there, my goodness, my heart pours out to Julie Stapel (OMG!!) and Brandon Randall.

Of course, will give updates as things go along. Hopefully it's a good experience and the second test finds itself to my strengths as the Central test did last year! :)

User avatar
Prizes
Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by Prizes » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Thank you all SOOO much from the bottom of my heart. An incredible day auditioning I will never forget. Genuinely have to like my odds! :mrgreen:

Made a post in the general Audition Email Timings thread with a video describing my experience, which will be public for the next week or two, but will crosspost here. Any questions about the process, my feelings/experiences, etc. on the whole are fair game. Just no asking what the (easy!) test questions were.

Maggie brought up wagering. How so? I made her laugh for 10 seconds straight! She noted me for something awesome OVER and OVER as a positive example. What were all these? Go and watch!

https://www.facebook.com/jessica.brand6 ... 687557241/

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8001
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Make a Boardie Make Her J! Audition Dreams Come True!

Post by dhkendall » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:34 am

Prizes wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 pm
Thank you all SOOO much from the bottom of my heart. An incredible day auditioning I will never forget. Genuinely have to like my odds! :mrgreen:

Made a post in the general Audition Email Timings thread with a video describing my experience, which will be public for the next week or two, but will crosspost here. Any questions about the process, my feelings/experiences, etc. on the whole are fair game. Just no asking what the (easy!) test questions were.

Maggie brought up wagering. How so? I made her laugh for 10 seconds straight! She noted me for something awesome OVER and OVER as a positive example. What were all these? Go and watch!

https://www.facebook.com/jessica.brand6 ... 687557241/
Maggie is awesome. There's just no other way to say it. :) (Heck, after my audition, *my wife* kept telling everyone about Maggie when she was talking about my audition, even though a) she never met her, and b) neither did I to much extent as our group was divided into two for the test and auditions and my group got Glenn (who is also awesome and cool and fun). But we could could hear Maggie from our room, and I'm sure so could my wife, who was waiting outside for me. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alamble, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], harrumph, immaf, Jeff-thecdboy, nlw44, Olduvai George, OntarioQuizzer and 15 guests