FJs for the 4/10/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/10/17 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Leviathan is a journal put out 3 times a year by an organization dedicated to this author & his works
47%
There are rest stops named for Edison, Lombardi & Woodrow Wilson on this road mentioned in the 1968 song "America"
66%
A remake of this scary movie was release on 6/6/2006, 30 years to the day after the release of the original
41%
Now representing an organization, it was formally adopted in Article 7 of the 1864 Geneva Convention
84%
A 2010 study of this country is subtitled “Inside the Land of Milk and Money”
38%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
6%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
ANIMAL LIT FILL-IN $1000: Vonnegut: "Welcome to the ____ House"
41%
WORLD CAPITALS $600 box Daily Double: This European capital city is served by 3 main ports: Piraeus, Rafina & Lavrion
45%
FENCING $400: In Norse myth jotnar are these; the eyebrows of Aurgelmir, father of the race, became the fence around Midgard
20%
I have driven and/or ridden on the New Jersey Turnpike and/or stopped at any or all of Edison, Wilson, Lombardi rest stops.
42%
Route 66 was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
25%
I have seen the 1976 and/or 2006 version of "The Omen."
32%
HER TOP 40 BAND $2000: Martha Davis - Yes, I was correct with The Motels.
13%
HER TOP 40 BAND $2000: Martha Davis - Oops, I incorrectly blurted The Vandellas.
18%
Israel was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
29%

Total votes: 128

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 4/10/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

4/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Leviathan is a journal put out 3 times a year by an organization dedicated to this author & his works

4/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICANA

4/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
There are rest stops named for Edison, Lombardi & Woodrow Wilson on this road mentioned in the 1968 song "America"

4/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCARY MOVIES

4/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A remake of this scary movie was release on 6/6/2006, 30 years to the day after the release of the original

4/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL SYMBOLS

4/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Now representing an organization, it was formally adopted in Article 7 of the 1864 Geneva Convention

4/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

4/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2010 study of this country is subtitled “Inside the Land of Milk and Money”

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Herman Melville
New Jersey Turnpike
The Omen
Red Cross
Switzerland
The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 1-2-1-2-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have one correct by the players, a requested Daily Double that had a correct response, followed by a requested triple stumper.

ANIMAL LIT FILL-IN $1000: Vonnegut: "Welcome to the ____ House"

WORLD CAPITALS $600 box Daily Double: This European capital city is served by 3 main ports: Piraeus, Rafina & Lavrion

FENCING $400: In Norse myth jotnar are these; the eyebrows of Aurgelmir, father of the race, became the fence around Midgard

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Monkey
Athens
giants
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 4/10/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Clam on Vonnegut's "Monkey."
Guessed Athens off Piraeus.
Lovecraft
Route 66 - never been anywhere near NJ
Never seen The Omen
Blurted The Vandellas.
Israel
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

I should've had Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, but I just couldn't pull them.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Forgot the category, guessed Hobbes on Monday
Guessed "Ventura Highway" on Tuesday
Guessed The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Wednesday (1974 and 2003, so close)
I have not seen The Omen
I could not tell you who Martha Davis is
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
No way was I missing Tuesday's clue. I used to stop at the Edison rest area quite often on my way home from grad school. It's right across from the northbound Grover Cleveland rest area, which had to be rebuilt after heavy damage from Hurricane Sandy. Like Cleveland, it had two non-consecutive terms. :)
My third straight 2/5 week.
Hoping for a third lap
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

An interesting week for me:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I clammed on Vonnegut's "Monkey", but might have guessed that on a DD if I was forced to.

Didn't figure out Athens quickly enough. It makes sense that it would have three named ports, but I didn't recognize the names of the ports.

I had trouble parsing the Jotnar clue in real-time, but now that I have time to re-read it, it becomes clear that it's asking for a race, so giants makes sense in retrospect.

My perfect FJ week was aided by some luck. The Omen was my first guess on Wednesday, but I also considered The Exorcist and started second-guessing myself and contemplated switching.

Switzerland was the first thing to occur to me on Friday, but it was still very much a guess without a ton of confidence. I was worried that I might be attaching too much importance to the wrong words.

More about Friday's FJ (spoilered due to length)
Spoiler
I'm familiar with the expression "the land of milk and honey", and I know it's a term used to describe Israel in the old days, but I guess I also think of that expression more broadly or metaphorically as referring to any land that's full of opportunity and promise and resources.

I thought a little bit about Israel and other Middle Eastern locations after making my guess of Switzerland, but the fact that Switzerland is known for both dairy products and banking made me stick with my choice, even though I felt funny about it. (Partly because Switzerland had just come up in Thursday's FJ.)

Friday's FJ had a certain "read the writer's mind" quality about it (which often isn't a good thing). It's a bit like those optical illusions that can be, say, either a rabbit or a duck. One person thinks the "intuitive" interpretation is a rabbit, and another person thinks the "intuitive" interpretation is a duck.

I saw "milk and money" as contrasted with "milk and honey", and I guess I thought the contrast was important. I guess I unconsciously interpreted it as "As opposed to Israel which was called the land of 'milk and honey', what (probably other) place might be referred to as the land of milk and money?"

However, you can also interpret the contrast as pointing toward Israel. You can read it as something like "As opposed to the old description of Israel as the land of milk and honey, its current status as a modern country with a modern economy might lead to calling it the land of milk and money!"
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Omen was a wild guess, but I had seen the original
Drive by the Lombardi and Edison rest stops often
Fell for Vandellas

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've seen the Omen on TV.
Went with Vandellas
Never set foot in New Jersey
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
I'm with those who think Friday's a lousy clue...
Never heard of a jotnar, so I couldn't even parse that clue - nor do I know anything about the Motels, but I would not have gone with the Vandellas either...
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Israel; playing off the Clue of the Day I didn't realize it said "money" and not "honey," so I had no chance (but still somehow tracked down the correct answer with Google). On the show I realized my mistake, but by then it was too late.

Jotnar threw me a bit until I realized it was probably the plural form of the term I know (jotun), but what else would be big enough to create a fence around the world with an eyebrow?
I may have been on the NJ Turnpike when I went to Six Flags Great Adventure (the Google Maps suggested route includes it), but I was on a bus so I don't know.
Seen the '76 but not '06 The Omen. Was fairly bored by it, tbh.
Never heard of the Motels or the Vandellas. Clammed on the clue.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I tried to think of banking countries on Friday, but I was stuck on island nations.

I paused on the Daily Double and got Athens after a good deal of thought. I may well have run out of time if I had played it on the show.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

'60s through '80s rock music is my specialty, so Martha Davis and the Motels was an instaget. Terrific band; Martha's voice had many of the same characteristics of the great Chrissie Hynde, and the group overall had a cool rock vibe that was welcome in the often-overly-synthesized '80s.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My best week on FJ's in a while. Wednesday's would've been a $0 bet no matter what position I were in since I know next to nothing about scary movies.

I had no guess on the Vonnegut clue. The only book of his I could think of at the time was Slaughterhouse-Five.

The Athens clue really threw me for a loop. I considered Athens (Piraeus sounds Greek), Rome (Rafina sounds Italian), and Amsterdam (because I remembered Amsterdam had many ports, and Lavrion could possibly pass for Dutch?).

I couldn't make head or tail of the Norse clue. Being rather unfamiliar with Norse mythology, the stuff after the semicolon (presumably helpful information) just confused me more about what the clue was looking for. Were they looking for the name of "the race" or "jotnar are these?" (the latter, as it turns out)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Fri - Best I could do was "not Israel"...never landed on something to write down
Couldn't grok the jotnar clue. I was thinking giants really hard but the fence segue threw me.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

I've gotta stop clamming on DDs -- I might have guessed Athens and definitely should have said something.

My abandoned second TD had a question involving professional athletes from New York or San Francisco... or the Jötnar.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I only got Red Cross from the FJs and Athens from the three added clues.

Piraeus sounded Greek to me, so I landed on Athens.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Israel as the Land of Milk and Money.

I grew up in NJ, so as for that poll question about the NJ turnpike . . . :D

I didn't check either Martha Reeves poll option, because I thought about the Vandellas but stayed clam.

I've seen the original version of The Omen but not the remake.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Movies are a wheelhouse category, but horror is a very weak link and the 666 connection flew right overhead. And, apparently, I'm the only one who guessed Ireland for The Land of Milk and Money; I figured it probably wasn't Israel so I was trying to come up with a country that might be famous for its dairy products (like, say, Ireland) and I thought maybe the "money" reference was to Ireland's economic good fortunes, although I thought those were probably a good 10 years back or more. I'll grant that Switzerland is synonymous with milk chocolate, but I guess I thought the milk came from elsewhere. I completely forgot about the (somewhat) well-known Brown Swiss Cows. :oops:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

22 for that Jotnar clue. That's almost Gigi Grazer bad.

Also, how the hell did I SAY RED CROSS OUT LOUD and still not get Thursday right?!?
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Statement of Disclosure: I voted as I had answered during taping. Will eventually get to watching the original Omen