Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leander » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 am

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Given Alex Trebek's notorious hatred of the Welsh language, did anyone else find it strange that there's now not only been a category on Wales this season, but now a clue where the unfortunately misspelled Owain Glyndwr's name?
As someone who is of 50% Welsh descent, my family has often commented on the number of Welsh clues that pop up relative to the size and importance of the country and figure there is a writer on the staff with a particular fondness for Wales.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 am

MattKnowles wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:00 am
Diana's wagers on the Daily Doubles moved her from last place into first place. It's certainly not objective that that is horrible game play.

Why don't you and Golf make a post about your supposed optimal daily double wagering strategy so we can criticize it and fault you when you demean contestants that actually follow your optimal strategy?
Except Golf and I have praised dozens of contestants for good wagering strategy. And both of us have gone into considerable depth into why a wager was either reasonable or flawed.

Hell, both of us have even defended contestants when others claimed they made a wagering mistake if we thought they played optimally.
Last edited by dhkendall on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mid removal of disparaging comments against a boardie

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 am

IronNeck wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 am
Elijah Baley wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 am
Golf wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 pm
Golf wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:31 pm
Diana looks for and finds both pots of gold in DJ, sadly she had no clue what to do with them. Had she known, she would have engineered a runaway.
C'mon, man. Don't you think it's at least a little bit quixotic to expect every single player to play the game like Roger Craig and Alex Jacob (literally the only two people in the history of the show who I'd have expected to behave how you expect above.)
Arthur Chu as well, probably a small handful of others.

Regardless, it's a horrible game play leak that costs probably 100 contestants each season tons of money. If we agree on that then I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that blatant of an error. And honestly, it's a horrible error albeit one that not many recognize. If one gets the chance of a lifetime I believe one should be properly prepared and am saddened as well as peeved when they are not.
Hasn't this issue been beat to death? Everyone has different risk tolerances, so why would we (collectively) berate and belittle people about something that happens pretty much every single game? Diana was a perfectly lovely contestant who wagered 50% more than most folks, and here you are making her out to be someone who threw away "the chance of a lifetime." It's demeaning and it doesn't make this seem like a very welcoming place for contestants to join and share their experiences.
Not sure what is so horribly "demeaning" about Golf stating objective facts. I've always been surprised by people who find any discussion of simple math uncomfortable or insulting. Whether you like the subject or not, math is the building block of the universe (or the language with which God wrote reality, if you will), and yes, it applies to Jeopardy.

Also, pointing out mistakes is also a part of this forum, and decrying it as "berating" and "belittling" is childish. Would you rather every post be "Yay! Great job everyone!" followed by smilie faces and hearts?

While I was surprised during my first year of Jeopardy watching, I'm now used to contestants shooting themselves in the foot and costing themselves huge sums of money by making wagering mistakes. Thus, I no longer point it out every game.

However, Golf is absolutely correct to do so. And it can't be understated how simple it is; I can teach any 8 year-old who can do basic arithmetic how to wager optimally in about an hour. Possibly less if he possesses above average intelligence.
Since arithmetic isn't remotely what's at issue, your comment is completely irrelevant.

MattKnowles
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MattKnowles » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 am

On Tuesday's thread Golf posted that the contestant didn't want to win the game when the wager was sufficient to win the game if they had answered the clue correctly.

On this thread Golf posted about horrible wagering again when the contestants wagering moved them from last place into first place.

There is nobody stopping you from making a thread which explains your optimal wagering strategy in a clear and detailed way. Why are you afraid to explain your objective mathematics that you could teach to an 8-year old? Is it because you can't?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am

MattKnowles wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 am
On Tuesday's thread Golf posted that the contestant didn't want to win the game when the wager was sufficient to win the game if they had answered the clue correctly.

On this thread Golf posted about horrible wagering again when the contestants wagering moved them from last place into first place.
He was correct both times.
MattKnowles wrote: There is nobody stopping you from making a thread which explains your optimal wagering strategy in a clear and detailed way. Why are you afraid to explain your objective mathematics that you could teach to an 8-year old? Is it because you can't?
Why don't you spend five seconds to search the dozens of posts in 2016 I've made about DD wagering? Or Golf has made? Or look up how Alex Jacob and Roger Craig wagered in their games?
Last edited by dhkendall on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod removal of disparaging remarks against a boardie

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 am

IronNeck wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 am
MattKnowles wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:00 am

MattKnowles wrote:It seems that there are negative comments about the contestants' wagering regardless of what they wager.
It seems you have no clue what you're talking about, whether due to your join date, poor reading comprehension, or both.
I can't wait until my join date gives me street cred! Hell- I've already got upper hand on two people who actually played the game on my TV.
Thanks to Matt Knowles, my quote bubbles might be in the right place for this post. But, if they aren't, well, slow learner..
Seriously, though, being tactful isn't a bad thing or make you guilty of political correctness. My mocking comment is no better, and I appreciate the various analytical comments without prejudice. My favorite rejoinder for this situation is: Diminishing others does not elevate you.
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford -

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 am

IronNeck wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am
and especially not when it's accompanied by your typical buffoonery.
This is not acceptable.
IronNeck wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 am
It seems you have no clue what you're talking about, whether due to your join date, poor reading comprehension, or both.
Neither is this.

Please be nicer to both contestants and your fellow posters.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel & #JeopardyLivePanel Pavlovs
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

heppm01
Contributor
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by heppm01 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am

IronNeck wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am
I'm not fond of repeating myself in general, and especially not when it's accompanied by your typical buffoonery.
Note to self: Ensure all future buffoonery is atypical.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 am

My $.02: Any DD betting system that ignores a player's attitude toward risk/reward, that dictates higher risk than the person would usually toletate, that could add pressure, anxiety and/or discomfort while trying to formulate a response on-stage, is sub-optimal.

Alex doesn't ask "What is your best strategic bet?" He does often ask "How much are you willing to risk?", which is the key question to a lot of people.

Remember who were dealing with: lawyers, teachers, librarians. Definitely low-risk professions.
OCSam

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5071
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:58 am

heppm01 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am
IronNeck wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am
I'm not fond of repeating myself in general, and especially not when it's accompanied by your typical buffoonery.
Note to self: Ensure all future buffoonery is atypical.
I'd need some clarification. My buffoonery is typical of me but not typical of JBoardies or of the general population.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8170
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 pm

badgerfellow wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Given Alex Trebek's notorious hatred of the Welsh language, did anyone else find it strange that there's now not only been a category on Wales this season, but now a clue where the unfortunately misspelled Owain Glyndwr's name?
Yet "How Green Was My Valley" is his favorite movie? Maybe I missed something.
Second. His supposed "hatred of the Welsh language" is news to me.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2425
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:02 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Given Alex Trebek's notorious hatred of the Welsh language, did anyone else find it strange that there's now not only been a category on Wales this season, but now a clue where the unfortunately misspelled Owain Glyndwr's name?
Yet "How Green Was My Valley" is his favorite movie? Maybe I missed something.
Second. His supposed "hatred of the Welsh language" is news to me.
Hawaiian too, apparently!... ;)
https://parade.com/98203/parade/alex-trebek/

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6652
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Given Alex Trebek's notorious hatred of the Welsh language, did anyone else find it strange that there's now not only been a category on Wales this season, but now a clue where the unfortunately misspelled Owain Glyndwr's name?
Yet "How Green Was My Valley" is his favorite movie? Maybe I missed something.
Second. His supposed "hatred of the Welsh language" is news to me.
A 2-in-1 with Welsh language and a host holding something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X097zjWgpag

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2425
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:17 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Given Alex Trebek's notorious hatred of the Welsh language, did anyone else find it strange that there's now not only been a category on Wales this season, but now a clue where the unfortunately misspelled Owain Glyndwr's name?
Yet "How Green Was My Valley" is his favorite movie? Maybe I missed something.
Second. His supposed "hatred of the Welsh language" is news to me.
A 2-in-1 with Welsh language and a host holding something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X097zjWgpag
If you want to hear it pronounced, I recommend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdNkvByFVvI

It's at about the 2:15 mark, but you should listen to the whole song. It may remind you of the FJ from March 15... :)

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4 ... it=ipanema

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2425
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Speaking of language matters, was there any good reason Alex pronounced Gabriel García Márquez with a Castilian lisp? I believe that's a feature of the language in Spain. Márquez was Colombian.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4493
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:37 pm

davey wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:31 pm
Speaking of language matters, was there any good reason Alex pronounced Gabriel García Márquez with a Castilian lisp? I believe that's a feature of the language in Spain. Márquez was Colombian.
Everyone I've heard saying GGM's name that way doesn't do it to the Z at the end for some reason. At least Alex stressed Márquez properly.

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:38 pm

IronNeck wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am
MattKnowles wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 am
On Tuesday's thread Golf posted that the contestant didn't want to win the game when the wager was sufficient to win the game if they had answered the clue correctly.

On this thread Golf posted about horrible wagering again when the contestants wagering moved them from last place into first place.
He was correct both times.
MattKnowles wrote: There is nobody stopping you from making a thread which explains your optimal wagering strategy in a clear and detailed way. Why are you afraid to explain your objective mathematics that you could teach to an 8-year old? Is it because you can't?
Why don't you spend five seconds to search the dozens of posts in 2016 I've made about DD wagering? Or Golf has made? Or look up how Alex Jacob and Roger Craig wagered in their games?

I'm not fond of repeating myself in general, and especially not when it's accompanied by your typical buffoonery.
I would also get impatient sometimes with contestant wagering, especially when DDs came late in the game. Then I had to calculate a wager in 10 seconds, with lights and cameras on; weighing the scores, the number of remaining clues, the estimated time left to play, and my comfort level with the category. I'm sure I got my share of criticism of my wagers after the episodes aired.

However, every wager had a reason and a rationale. But nobody who criticized ever asked what my rationale and considerations about the wagers were.

Some, a few, DD wagers are pretty cut-and-dried. The large majority are not. Since my time on stage, I now default to wondering why someone did what they did instead of reflexively thinking, "that's silly, I wouldn't have done it that way." I'm sure when IronNeck and Golf change their status to "Jeopardy! Champion" people will be much more receptive of their criticisms.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8170
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:59 pm

davey wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:02 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Given Alex Trebek's notorious hatred of the Welsh language, did anyone else find it strange that there's now not only been a category on Wales this season, but now a clue where the unfortunately misspelled Owain Glyndwr's name?
Yet "How Green Was My Valley" is his favorite movie? Maybe I missed something.
Second. His supposed "hatred of the Welsh language" is news to me.
Hawaiian too, apparently!... ;)
https://parade.com/98203/parade/alex-trebek/
Very surprised growing up in Eastern Ontario and working for the CBC there that French isn't on the list.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

mrparadise
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 am

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mrparadise » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:00 pm

IronNeck wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 am
Diana was lucky to hit both DDs despite her Coryat being around the same as the two challengers, giving her a comfortable lead heading into FJ.

LT: Cassius

FJ: I'm weak at the category, so I figured this would extend my wrong streak. To my surprise, it turned out to be a question on basic, high school-level US history!

Got it instantly and thought it was a gift for the leader. Turned out it wasn't!
I think you'll find that most American History clues, including those in FJ!, are gettable from "basic, high school level US history". Of course it helps to have paid attention

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8170
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 pm

davey wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:17 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Given Alex Trebek's notorious hatred of the Welsh language, did anyone else find it strange that there's now not only been a category on Wales this season, but now a clue where the unfortunately misspelled Owain Glyndwr's name?
Yet "How Green Was My Valley" is his favorite movie? Maybe I missed something.
Second. His supposed "hatred of the Welsh language" is news to me.
A 2-in-1 with Welsh language and a host holding something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X097zjWgpag
If you want to hear it pronounced, I recommend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdNkvByFVvI

It's at about the 2:15 mark, but you should listen to the whole song. It may remind you of the FJ from March 15... :)

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4 ... it=ipanema
My favourite pronunciation of ... that place ... comes here
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], BigDaddyMatty, Google [Bot] and 12 guests