Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Re: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by theamazingchong »

Instaget FJ. "Clayton Act" + "plugged gaps" <> Sherman Anti-Trust. Made up for a game where I had a number of 50/50's go against me (Tina Fey for Amy Poehler; Zimbabwe for Zambia; flounder for halibut). Funnily enough, for the one clue with two answers I only thought of one (add me to the 'cult' club).

I also wonder if the new champ has ever seen a tuna before.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I guessed "Anti-Trust Act" and couldn't think of Sherman.
davey wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 pm I briefly wondered if I could "get away" with Antitrust Act
Nah.
DBear wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:31 pm Are there any Shakespeare plays that don't have five acts?
They all have five acts.

theamazingchong wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:18 pm I also wonder if the new champ has ever seen a tuna before.
In case anybody hasn't seen a tuna before:
Spoiler
The spoiler is in case anybody doesn't want to see a picture of a tuna. They did not throw it back. I'm guessing he has seen a tuna before. I suppose it depends on the definition of flat but to me it looks like the length and height significantly exceed the width and it's kind of flat. It looks flatish to me. I'm not a fish expert. I should become a fish expert...

I'm surprised Cassius was a triple stumper. I guessed Zambia after Zimbabwe but I would have guessed Zimbabwe first.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Given Alex Trebek's notorious hatred of the Welsh language, did anyone else find it strange that there's now not only been a category on Wales this season, but now a clue where the unfortunately misspelled Owain Glyndwr's name?
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm Given Alex Trebek's notorious hatred of the Welsh language, did anyone else find it strange that there's now not only been a category on Wales this season, but now a clue where the unfortunately misspelled Owain Glyndwr's name?
Yet "How Green Was My Valley" is his favorite movie? Maybe I missed something.

Almost instaget. Did not watch this in studio, but had I, I would have been way too excited due to personal events from earlier in the week, pre taping.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:31 pm Are there any Shakespeare plays that don't have five acts?
I think all of the Bard's plays have 5 acts, which I think is how the writers expected you to know the number of acts in the particular play given in the clue.
Just checked my Complete Works (which, admittedly, doesn't include Two Noble Kinsmen for the pedants) and...yeah: 5 acts, all of them.

Count me for another Zimbabwe negbait. Come on, it used to be Rhodesia for bloody sakes...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

badgerfellow wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm Given Alex Trebek's notorious hatred of the Welsh language, did anyone else find it strange that there's now not only been a category on Wales this season, but now a clue where the unfortunately misspelled Owain Glyndwr's name?

Almost instaget. Did not watch this in studio, but had I, I would have been way too excited due to personal events from earlier in the week, pre taping.
Despite taking place in Wales, there is very little (likely none, excepting names perhaps) Welsh in the movie.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 pm I thought of Sherman Antitrust, but figured it couldn't possibly be right because why would it be something I actually know?
You let us down. I thought for sure you'd go with the Hawley-Smoot Act. :)
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Volante wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Despite taking place in Wales, there is very little (likely none, excepting names perhaps) Welsh in the movie.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:27 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 pm I thought of Sherman Antitrust, but figured it couldn't possibly be right because why would it be something I actually know?
You let us down. I thought for sure you'd go with the Hawley-Smoot Act. :)
I would have also gone for the I Just Lost $3,000 Act (Acts of Congress for $1,000; coincidentally, $200 in the category is Hawley-Smoot).
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

Shakespeare (1), Society (2), Same (2), Potluck (4), America (3), SNL (4)
Authors (3), Fish (1), Number (1), "BOY" (3), Commonwealth (4), Pencil (1)

Lach Trash: etiquette, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, lawn bowling, Zambia

All I could think of was "the monopoly act"; on the right track, just couldn't remember the official name.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I wanted the FJ clue to come from a recent current topic of discussion, so I went for Glass-Steagle which has been in news cycles since the great recession and Dodd-Frank act and the GOP talking heads about loosening financial regs. But as I parsed the dates, I knew the answer was part of Teddy R's legacy well before the 1929 crash that brought around Glass-Steagle (or so I think). Anyway, I couldn't pull Sherman from 8th grade Social Studies although I have heard it.

Lots of barristers here it seems. This answer was gettable, but not very TOM'able. But not a complete YEKIOYD.

Someone will monger the precise definition, but I think of flatfish as the ones that have both eyes on one side of their body - they are born bilaterally and it moves to one side. I didn't realize halibut was such a fish. My only guess was Sole, and I think it's about fished to extinction - sad, it was my favorite. And they don't get 500 lbs big I assume based on the Dover sole.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

badgerfellow wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Not that clear-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevNjFeWUyQ
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 pm I wanted the FJ clue to come from a recent current topic of discussion, so I went for Glass-Steagle which has been in news cycles since the great recession and Dodd-Frank act and the GOP talking heads about loosening financial regs. But as I parsed the dates, I knew the answer was part of Teddy R's legacy well before the 1929 crash that brought around Glass-Steagle (or so I think). Anyway, I couldn't pull Sherman from 8th grade Social Studies although I have heard it.

Lots of barristers here it seems. This answer was gettable, but not very TOM'able. But not a complete YEKIOYD.

Someone will monger the precise definition, but I think of flatfish as the ones that have both eyes on one side of their body - they are born bilaterally and it moves to one side. I didn't realize halibut was such a fish. My only guess was Sole, and I think it's about fished to extinction - sad, it was my favorite. And they don't get 500 lbs big I assume based on the Dover sole.
That does remind me, when Alex clarified "flatfish" after revealing halibut, flounder IS STILL A FLATFISH!
Volante

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 pm
badgerfellow wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Not that clear-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevNjFeWUyQ
Completely forgot that part happened. Then again, when something's sung I'm not sure it counts as any language. It's just...song.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Sherman Antitrust Act was my WECIB response. I wasn't surprised to be right, but I wouldn't have been surprised to be wrong.
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $25,800
36 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cassius, etiquette

Well, at least I'm getting something out of my law degree.
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Diana was lucky to hit both DDs despite her Coryat being around the same as the two challengers, giving her a comfortable lead heading into FJ.

LT: Cassius

FJ: I'm weak at the category, so I figured this would extend my wrong streak. To my surprise, it turned out to be a question on basic, high school-level US history!

Got it instantly and thought it was a gift for the leader. Turned out it wasn't!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Golf wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:31 pm Diana looks for and finds both pots of gold in DJ, sadly she had no clue what to do with them. Had she known, she would have engineered a runaway.
C'mon, man. Don't you think it's at least a little bit quixotic to expect every single player to play the game like Roger Craig and Alex Jacob (literally the only two people in the history of the show who I'd have expected to behave how you expect above.)
Arthur Chu as well, probably a small handful of others.

Regardless, it's a horrible game play leak that costs probably 100 contestants each season tons of money. If we agree on that then I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that blatant of an error. And honestly, it's a horrible error albeit one that not many recognize. If one gets the chance of a lifetime I believe one should be properly prepared and am saddened as well as peeved when they are not.
Hasn't this issue been beat to death? Everyone has different risk tolerances, so why would we (collectively) berate and belittle people about something that happens pretty much every single game? Diana was a perfectly lovely contestant who wagered 50% more than most folks, and here you are making her out to be someone who threw away "the chance of a lifetime." It's demeaning and it doesn't make this seem like a very welcoming place for contestants to join and share their experiences.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 am
Golf wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:31 pm Diana looks for and finds both pots of gold in DJ, sadly she had no clue what to do with them. Had she known, she would have engineered a runaway.
C'mon, man. Don't you think it's at least a little bit quixotic to expect every single player to play the game like Roger Craig and Alex Jacob (literally the only two people in the history of the show who I'd have expected to behave how you expect above.)

Regardless, it's a horrible game play leak that costs probably 100 contestants each season tons of money. If we agree on that then I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that blatant of an error. And honestly, it's a horrible error albeit one that not many recognize. If one gets the chance of a lifetime I believe one should be properly prepared and am saddened as well as peeved when they are not.
Hasn't this issue been beat to death? Everyone has different risk tolerances, so why would we (collectively) berate and belittle people about something that happens pretty much every single game? Diana was a perfectly lovely contestant who wagered 50% more than most folks, and here you are making her out to be someone who threw away "the chance of a lifetime." It's demeaning and it doesn't make this seem like a very welcoming place for contestants to join and share their experiences.
Not sure what is so horribly "demeaning" about Golf stating objective facts. I've always been surprised by people who find any discussion of simple math uncomfortable or insulting. Whether you like the subject or not, math is the building block of the universe (or the language with which God wrote reality, if you will), and yes, it applies to Jeopardy.

Also, pointing out mistakes is also a part of this forum, and decrying it as "berating" and "belittling" is childish. Would you rather every post be "Yay! Great job everyone!" followed by smilie faces and hearts?

While I was surprised during my first year of Jeopardy watching, I'm now used to contestants shooting themselves in the foot and costing themselves huge sums of money by making wagering mistakes. Thus, I no longer point it out every game.

However, Golf is absolutely correct to do so. And it can't be understated how simple it is; I can teach any 8 year-old who can do basic arithmetic how to wager optimally in about an hour. Possibly less if he possesses above average intelligence.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 am

Not sure what is so horribly "demeaning" about Golf stating objective facts.

Diana's wagers on the Daily Doubles moved her from last place into first place. It's certainly not objective that that is horrible game play.

Why don't you and Golf make a post about your supposed optimal daily double wagering strategy so we can criticize it and fault you when you demean contestants that actually follow your optimal strategy? It seems that there are negative comments about the contestants' wagering regardless of what they wager.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.