Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Johnblue »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:10 am
Johnblue wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:20 am
I've been to Kangaroo Island & it's an amazing place but I didn't hear of any wineries there. They do have honey farms. And lots of pelicans. The Barossa Valley north of Adelaide is better known for wine. Jacobs's Creek & others. Disappointing DJ round. I actually ran what was shown of ballet which surprised me. Nilanka ran into the same situation as yesterday's champ wherein having the lead hurt him.
Off topic, over many posts I realize you travelled extensively. From recent posts I remember you mentioning Ushuaia, Antarctica too. Good for you. : Thumbsup:


Thanks! I decided to see places other than Europe when I left the NYC area 4 years ago. Although I did go to Switzerland last October. No sense just sitting around.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8780
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:37 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:28 pm
econgator wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:40 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:39 am
but I've never once heard it called that.
I used to work there in college. I can't you how many checks I've seen made out to "Walmarts".
Agreed. Very common. Perhaps more so in the U.S. than in Canada?
Up there they have the same problem with Tim Horton.
I see it's actually called "Tim Hortons," so it's not actually Tim Horton's doughnut shop, it's more than one Tim Horton. :)
For the record, I think this is due to the French market (French does not denote possessive by 's), but I also seem to recall that the store was like that from the very beginning, before expanding into Quebec, so I'm not sure why it's like that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8459
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ That's also why Reese's is just called Reese in Canada. Always looked weird to me when I saw commercials on CBC. Same with the "The" being absent from The Home Depot, which is (I assume) done to make it more Francophone-friendly.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10155
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

theFJguy wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:10 am

Nilanka Seneviratne: 12100-8301=3799
David Rigsby: 10200-2000=8200 (New Champ)
Meghan Phillips: 5400-5001=399

I was surprised nobody commented on David holding back $600 on his first round DD. It would have made the wagering interesting if he had a lock/tie over Meghan.

I lived in Knoxville for eight years, so getting Dolly's hometown was an instaget even without remembering the category. That error possibly cost her the game. If she clams, she is no longer getting crushed and can win if she bets nothing and David makes the cover bet.

I said mail service for the clue about ancient China. I don't think they were necessarily going for "pony express", Alex was just trying to put into terms we could relate to.

I got FJ right away. My only concern was spelling it correctly or at least close enough to be counted correct. I was surprised to see I got it exactly right.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5108
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:49 pm
^ That's also why Reese's is just called Reese in Canada. Always looked weird to me when I saw commercials on CBC. Same with the "The" being absent from The Home Depot, which is (I assume) done to make it more Francophone-friendly.
Because Francophones would want it to be Le Home Depot? :D

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8780
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:19 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:49 pm
^ That's also why Reese's is just called Reese in Canada. Always looked weird to me when I saw commercials on CBC. Same with the "The" being absent from The Home Depot, which is (I assume) done to make it more Francophone-friendly.
Because Francophones would want it to be Le Home Depot? :D
Huh, never noticed that! Looking at the Home Depot in my neighbourhood on Google Street View, it seems the store itself just as "Home Depot" on it (you may need to "drive" closer to the store to see it better), but you'll notice "The Home Depot" on the roof-thing over the shopping carts in the parking lot and on the company truck (which is positioned more or less directly beside on the right of the camera, so you'll have to rotate the picture to see it), I guess they get that stuff from HQ in the US. But, around here, I've always heard people refer to it as "The Home Depot" regardless of what it says on the sign, we don't have enough of a French population (at least, I don't interact with them) to hear how they say it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
nserven
At the Clam Shack
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: Greenfield, MA

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nserven »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:37 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:28 pm
econgator wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:40 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:39 am
but I've never once heard it called that.
I used to work there in college. I can't you how many checks I've seen made out to "Walmarts".
Agreed. Very common. Perhaps more so in the U.S. than in Canada?
Up there they have the same problem with Tim Horton.
I see it's actually called "Tim Hortons," so it's not actually Tim Horton's doughnut shop, it's more than one Tim Horton. :)
Same deal with Walgreens (where I once worked), no apostrophe, even though it was founded by a guy named Walgreen. (We also got checks made out to Walmart(s)).

Another store I where I once worked, the now-defunct Borders bookstore chain, had no apostrophe, but was named for two brothers named Borders.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5108
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:41 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:19 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:49 pm
^ That's also why Reese's is just called Reese in Canada. Always looked weird to me when I saw commercials on CBC. Same with the "The" being absent from The Home Depot, which is (I assume) done to make it more Francophone-friendly.
Because Francophones would want it to be Le Home Depot? :D
Huh, never noticed that! Looking at the Home Depot in my neighbourhood on Google Street View, it seems the store itself just as "Home Depot" on it (you may need to "drive" closer to the store to see it better), but you'll notice "The Home Depot" on the roof-thing over the shopping carts in the parking lot and on the company truck (which is positioned more or less directly beside on the right of the camera, so you'll have to rotate the picture to see it), I guess they get that stuff from HQ in the US. But, around here, I've always heard people refer to it as "The Home Depot" regardless of what it says on the sign, we don't have enough of a French population (at least, I don't interact with them) to hear how they say it.
I'm not exactly sure what TPH is talking about since definite articles are used in French.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8459
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:26 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:41 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:19 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:49 pm
^ That's also why Reese's is just called Reese in Canada. Always looked weird to me when I saw commercials on CBC. Same with the "The" being absent from The Home Depot, which is (I assume) done to make it more Francophone-friendly.
Because Francophones would want it to be Le Home Depot? :D
Huh, never noticed that! Looking at the Home Depot in my neighbourhood on Google Street View, it seems the store itself just as "Home Depot" on it (you may need to "drive" closer to the store to see it better), but you'll notice "The Home Depot" on the roof-thing over the shopping carts in the parking lot and on the company truck (which is positioned more or less directly beside on the right of the camera, so you'll have to rotate the picture to see it), I guess they get that stuff from HQ in the US. But, around here, I've always heard people refer to it as "The Home Depot" regardless of what it says on the sign, we don't have enough of a French population (at least, I don't interact with them) to hear how they say it.
I'm not exactly sure what TPH is talking about since definite articles are used in French.
I was told that French Canadian Home Depot omits the "The" because they felt that using a masculine or feminine "the", as exists in French, could be seen as sexist. Maybe I'm wrong.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4791
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:54 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:26 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:41 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:19 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:49 pm
^ That's also why Reese's is just called Reese in Canada. Always looked weird to me when I saw commercials on CBC. Same with the "The" being absent from The Home Depot, which is (I assume) done to make it more Francophone-friendly.
Because Francophones would want it to be Le Home Depot? :D
Huh, never noticed that! Looking at the Home Depot in my neighbourhood on Google Street View, it seems the store itself just as "Home Depot" on it (you may need to "drive" closer to the store to see it better), but you'll notice "The Home Depot" on the roof-thing over the shopping carts in the parking lot and on the company truck (which is positioned more or less directly beside on the right of the camera, so you'll have to rotate the picture to see it), I guess they get that stuff from HQ in the US. But, around here, I've always heard people refer to it as "The Home Depot" regardless of what it says on the sign, we don't have enough of a French population (at least, I don't interact with them) to hear how they say it.
I'm not exactly sure what TPH is talking about since definite articles are used in French.
I was told that French Canadian Home Depot omits the "The" because they felt that using a masculine or feminine "the", as exists in French, could be seen as sexist. Maybe I'm wrong.
easy fix...l'home depot

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1295
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by trainman »

nserven wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:18 pm
Another store I where I once worked, the now-defunct Borders bookstore chain, had no apostrophe, but was named for two brothers named Borders.
Similarly, the Ralphs supermarket chain in southern California has no apostrophe because it was founded by George Ralphs.

On the other hand, the Vons supermarket chain in southern California was founded by Charles von der Ahe, and had an apostrophe at the beginning, but lost it for mysterious reasons.

Image

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS »

trainman wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:48 pm
nserven wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:18 pm
Another store I where I once worked, the now-defunct Borders bookstore chain, had no apostrophe, but was named for two brothers named Borders.
Never have eaten at Ruth's Chris Steak House, but I know a couple of alums of John's Hopkins University...... or maybe it was Hopkin's.....
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8459
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AFRET CMS wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 am

Never have eaten at Ruth's Chris Steak House
Where you can get a steak the size of a dime for only $100.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7105
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

I crossed some wires, responding "Chapter 11" to the Title IX DD. It was funny when Chapter 11 showed up in a later clue.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2426
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 »

Baader-Meinhof syndrome strikes! I saw this billboard this morning while walking to the subway:

Image

And fun fact: the cast includes Peter Scolari (the other guy from Bosom Buddies) as Émile Zola!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7345
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 am
AFRET CMS wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 am

Never have eaten at Ruth's Chris Steak House
Where you can get a steak the size of a dime for only $100.
But it's going to be one hell of a delicious dime.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5108
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 am
And fun fact: the cast includes Peter Scolari (the other guy from Bosom Buddies) as Émile Zola!
Interesting. I always liked Peter Scolari. When "Bosom Buddies" was on the air I certainly wouldn't have expected one of the two stars would go on to be the most famous actor in the world and the other would forever be "the guy in Bosom Buddies who wasn't Tom Hanks."

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 am
AFRET CMS wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 am

Never have eaten at Ruth's Chris Steak House
Where you can get a steak the size of a dime for only $100.
Steak houses have never been known for cheap eats - nor should they, unless one is fond of shoe leather. I'm just curious if you ever even been to a Ruth's Chris, or if this is just more hostility to the world that isn't found in your neighborhood.

The owner apparently always hated the weird name so you'd think it would have been changed, although I guess the old adage of "don't mess with success" probably applies.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8780
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

Elijah Baley wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:48 pm
The owner apparently always hated the weird name so you'd think it would have been changed, although I guess the old adage of "don't mess with success" probably applies.
Charles Schultz always hated the name "Peanuts" (I believe he wanted to call it "Lil' Folk"), but, he also knew not to mess with success.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:18 pm
Location: Like Savoir-Faire...Everywhere!

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Maven »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:27 pm
hbomb1947 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 am
And fun fact: the cast includes Peter Scolari (the other guy from Bosom Buddies) as Émile Zola!
Interesting. I always liked Peter Scolari. When "Bosom Buddies" was on the air I certainly wouldn't have expected one of the two stars would go on to be the most famous actor in the world and the other would forever be "the guy in Bosom Buddies who wasn't Tom Hanks."
I'd semi-argue Peter Scolari is just as well known for the Michael role in Newhart as he is for Bosom Buddies (sadly...Scolari is certainly underappreciated and his story is among several shining examples of the fickleness of fame). Although I can't say the former is my favorite role of Scolari's...the whole 'Snugglebunnies!!' thing between he and Stephanie/Julia Duffy got old quick IMO. Then again, I've near-always preferred The Bob Newhart Show over Newhart anyway...
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Post Reply