Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY EUROPE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Published in L’Aurore on January 13, 1898, it caused its author to be convicted of libel

Nilanka Seneviratne: 12100-8301=3799
David Rigsby: 10200-2000=8200 (New Champ)
Meghan Phillips: 5400-5001=399

Correct response:
Spoiler
”J’accuse” (Nilanka – The Dreyfus Affair) (David – Madame Bovary) (Meghan - Dangerous Liasons)

Daily Doubles
David: 2600+2000
Meghan: 9400-2000
Nilanka: 12200-100

Coryats
Nilanka: 12200
David: 9200
Meghan: 7400

Combined: 28,800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

There was one part missing from David's story about his husband, Ryan. http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9496

David had many different ways to possibly have the lead for the FJ! round. Instead, enough went Nilanka's way to be in first, leaving David in a trailing position.

With a TS clue in the FJ! round with reasonably close scores it's advantage 2nd place.

Just like on Wednesday it's a thank you to my high school history teachers. Clue's up and I'm done, able to sit back and enjoy the music.

Nilanka had the right idea, but did not know what to do with it. His challengers did get to French at least.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:20 am There was one part missing from David's story about his husband, Ryan. http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9496
Woah! How'd you find out that one?

While I was rooting for David (because one of my FB friends was friends with him and also, you know, the name), I found his miss (repeated under clarification) of "Wall" for Sam Walton puzzling. I can see where he gets it from, but I've never heard anyone say it on stage before.

That said, can't fault him too much because he got a hell of a lot that I missed and everyone has weird holes in their trivia knowledge.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:20 pm That said, can't fault him too much because he got a hell of a lot that I missed and everyone has weird holes in their trivia knowledge.
None weirder than a triple miss on J'accuse...
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

David with two costly misspeaks on "Sam Wall" and "Borshoi" and Nilanka was the beneficiary on both. I thought for sure that would cost him.

European history is in my wheelhouse, but like David I guessed "Madame Bovary." For some reason I thought "J'Accuse" was published in the 1920s but as soon as Alex said Dreyfus Affair, I knew that was it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 pm
dhkendall wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:20 pm That said, can't fault him too much because he got a hell of a lot that I missed and everyone has weird holes in their trivia knowledge.
None weirder than a triple miss on J'accuse...
Yeah, I didn't expect all three to get it, but thought for sure at least one would.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

LTAM with two clues on the board, and we still leave one behind? What the hell. I swear LTAMs are just done at random anymore.

I still don't see why I should know what college a famous person graduated from. Does it even matter?

Another poor performance in a word category for me. Couldn't get "discard" out of my head; NHO "disinherit" or dandelion wine; but got Lach Trash on "Decalogue" since we've done it a few times at the Episcopal church I play for.

"Postal service" at $400 was very opaque and undervalued. Can we poll it?

Wheels were turning but I embarrassingly couldn't quite get to Pigeon Forge. Probably because the other ones were just an animal name.

NHO Sam Waterston that I recall.

Lach Trash: Gila River, Sam Peckinpah, Baryshnikov.

Not even Alex's post mortem had any familiar words for me. Given the TS, I see this polling very low.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Here's one for the archivistas: Has there been another case where both spouses of a married couple were J! champs? I'd guess this is a first.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

INstaget. 41R. LT: Chinese 'pony express'; get MDD: Nineveh > Assyria (>Syria). Grats David! :!:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Kenny wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 pm Here's one for the archivistas: Has there been another case where both spouses of a married couple were J! champs? I'd guess this is a first.
It's happened at least seven times before.

ETA: If David wins again on Monday, it will be just the third known case of a pair of relatives both winning multiple games.
Last edited by cheezguyty on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Classic, classic, classic Jeopardy! fodder on the FJ!, so I am very surprised that only one of them even got to the Dreyfus Affair.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 pm "Postal service" at $400 was very opaque and undervalued. Can we poll it?
As he also mentioned Pony Express (and I'm sure they would have taken that), it was valued exactly where it should be.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 pm "Postal service" at $400 was very opaque and undervalued. Can we poll it?
As he also mentioned Pony Express (and I'm sure they would have taken that), it was valued exactly where it should be.
That clue clearly didn't lead to Pony Express as easily as you think, if it was a stand and stare.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Given my tenacity to misread the FJ, I wasn't sure if they wanted the publication or author.

My mouth blurted out Peckinpah, no idea where I got that..

I also went with Nureyev on DD and was pretty confident.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Kenny wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 pm Here's one for the archivistas: Has there been another case where both spouses of a married couple were J! champs? I'd guess this is a first.
FYI: there is even a case where both spouses of a married couple have won 5+ and both made the ToC.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Disappointed that Meghan didn't get the Assyria DD. Instaget FJ, started thinking I was going mad when no one came up with it. :?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 pmI still don't see why I should know what college a famous person graduated from.
You're not. You're supposed to know which Ivy League school is in upstate New York. Or which university has a Hasty Pudding club. Or whatever.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Instaget FJ and yeah, it's disappointing that it was a TS on the show. And as a poster above alluded to, J'Accuse has come up a number of times on J! before, although there haven't been many occasions where they asked for the title.

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

But France + 1898 (or even just roughly the turn of the 20th century) + libel should be Pavlovian for that tract.

MarkBarrett, please don't poll the $400 ancient history question that asked what service "couriers" provided. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide