Monday, April 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Monday, April 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 am
Volante wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:49 am
John Boy wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 am
floridagator wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:01 pm
If I've been to the Galapagos Islands with Alex, do you think they'd still let me become a contestant?
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that this would disqualify you. I think you're DQd if you have personal relationships with anyone associated with the show, but going on a trip with AT would have to do it. That's why I ignore this contest. Even if they announced me as the winner, I would decline because it would end my hopes of going on the show, which, even if they are slim, are still presumably greater than zero.
I don't think one Galapagos cruise will turn you into BFFs with Alex.

You'd obviously include it on the paperwork but it's not like you two are going out to brunch after the return.
There have been J! contestants who previously met Alex through various events. The Geography Bee connection has been mentioned more than once.
Yes agree TPTB won't exclude you on the basis of having shipped out with AT. Do disclose however!! ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Bartleby »

Woppy T wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:06 pm
Bartleby wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:09 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 pm
I was puzzled by the use of lowercase in the New Hampshire clue. Here's how it looked:

in an all or
nothing move,
THIS STATE
INVITES YOU TO
"LIVE FREE OR DIE"

Minor screwup or was there a reason?
This seems to be a sly reference to poet e e cummings use of lowercase in his work. Cummings lived in New Hampshire during the summer months and ultimately died there.
I still don't get it. Why would the first two lines be in lower case, but not the rest of the clue?
Well, he did use ALL CAPS and bold type for emphasis in his poems. The line "in an all or nothing move" is also indicative of his lyrical style and the formatting is representatively wonky.
I would prefer not to.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bartleby wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:MUSICIANS WHO DIED AT 27 was 3/5 for me in precalls and getting clues right as I had the predictable Cobain, Winehouse and Joplin. I was a touch to slow to recall the Rolling Stones guy and Chris Bell rang no bells for me.
I had no problem getting Brian Jones but I was thrown off track by the mention of Alex Chilton, thinking only of Box Tops, even though I own a Big Star CD. I agree with TPH on that being too obscure, even for a bottom row clue, and I think it would poll less than 10%.
Heck, they may as well had a clue about Alan 'Blind Owl' Wilson. Just asking for his band with a TOM of Goin Up the Country would make it sufficiently getable.
I don't know, this seemed pretty perfectly pitched for a $2000 clue to me. Not only do they give you the guy who died at 27 (Chris Bell) but also throw in the band's most prominent member (Alex Chilton) and one of their album titles (#1 Record). While they may not have had chart success back in the day, Big Star and Alex Chilton have had a sustained influence and maintained interest in a way groups like Canned Heat have not.
I respectfully disagree that however much influence Big Star has had on successive groups gives it high credentials for Jeopardy! trivia. It's still an obscure band. Canned Heat's two biggest hits have maintained steady airplay on oldies/classic rock radio and been used in mainstream commercials in the last decade, Goin Up the Country in a currently running one.
Another band who, IMHO is also more obscure than Canned Heat, is Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show, who where asked for in a $2000 clue in this game: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1884

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Bartleby wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:36 am
Woppy T wrote:
Bartleby wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
I was puzzled by the use of lowercase in the New Hampshire clue. Here's how it looked:

in an all or
nothing move,
THIS STATE
INVITES YOU TO
"LIVE FREE OR DIE"

This seems to be a sly reference to poet e e cummings use of lowercase in his work. Cummings lived in New Hampshire during the summer months and ultimately died there.
I still don't get it. Why would the first two lines be in lower case, but not the rest of the clue?
Well, he did use ALL CAPS and bold type for emphasis in his poems. The line "in an all or nothing move" is also indicative of his lyrical style and the formatting is representatively wonky.
I guess that makes sense. Part of the problem for me is that I used to live in New Hampshire and don't recall having heard of cummings as a New Hampshire "thing" (like Frost, Seuss, Pierce, Webster, etc.)

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

Robert K S wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:51 pm
earendel wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:43 pm
Robert K S wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:06 am
Are you saying it isn't to be believed?
Yes. After I correctly answered the question Regis said that although Jefferson is associated with the University of Virginia, he attended William and Mary.
I'm consused. I was responding to nlw who said, "Well, if 1776 (the musical) is to be believed, Thomas Jefferson went to William and Mary!" But Thomas Jefferson did go to William and Mary.
I think that the point is that the musical is rife with inaccuracies (Caesar Rodney being an elderly dying man, Rutledge leading a walkout of the Southern colonies over slavery, Martha J. visiting Philadelphia, Adams being disliked, the Liberty Bell tolling to announce the signing, etc.). There are so many inaccuracies that it may cast into doubt other things in the musical which are actually true -- such as Jefferson's attendance at W & M.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

BoK

Post by BoK »

John Boy wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 am
floridagator wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:01 pm
If I've been to the Galapagos Islands with Alex, do you think they'd still let me become a contestant?
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that this would disqualify you. I think you're DQd if you have personal relationships with anyone associated with the show, but going on a trip with AT would have to do it. That's why I ignore this contest. Even if they announced me as the winner, I would decline because it would end my hopes of going on the show, which, even if they are slim, are still presumably greater than zero.
At my audition last week, someone asked this exact question. Maggie explicitly said that winning the Galapagos trip would NOT affect your eligibility to be on the show.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bartleby wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
Bartleby wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

in an all or
nothing move,
THIS STATE
INVITES YOU TO
"LIVE FREE OR DIE"

A) He didn't use bold type in his poems.
B) Although it was his prerogative to write his own name without capital letters, he didn't make the minuscule rendering his legal name, so the rest of us are bound by conventions and should refer to Cummings with the regular capitalization.
C) I'm not buying it. Cummings is irrelevant to the clue, NH connection notwithstanding (plus I like to imagine that he would have written "all or nothing" as one word); it looks to me like nothing more than a visual contrast to go with "all or nothing" and "live free or die." An odd choice, but the writers have prerogatives too.

Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

seaborgium wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:27 pm
Bartleby wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
Bartleby wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

in an all or
nothing move,
THIS STATE
INVITES YOU TO
"LIVE FREE OR DIE"

A) He didn't use bold type in his poems.
B) Although it was his prerogative to write his own name without capital letters, he didn't make the minuscule rendering his legal name, so the rest of us are bound by conventions and should refer to Cummings with the regular capitalization.
C) I'm not buying it. Cummings is irrelevant to the clue, NH connection notwithstanding (plus I like to imagine that he would have written "all or nothing" as one word); it looks to me like nothing more than a visual contrast to go with "all or nothing" and "live free or die." An odd choice, but the writers have prerogatives too.
A) Flipping through his complete poems, it looks like you're right. I could have sworn I've seen a poem where he used bold type but I must be conflating it with his use of uppercase among other concrete elements or be thinking of work by another modernist entirely.
B) Where's the fun in that?
C) It's the absence of sentence case in the first part of the clue that, coupled with New Hampshire, particularly makes me believe it was intended as an oblique reference rather than purely a contrast choice.
I would prefer not to.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had another idea that somehow it was supposed to look like the NH license plates it was referring to, but the slogan was all caps and the state name was mixed case. The last idea I currently have is that the left edge of the clue was supposed to look like the profile of the Old Man of the Mountain (seen in the middle of some NH license plates), but I don't have to see a screenshot of the clue to guess that that's a stretch.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:01 am
I had another idea that somehow it was supposed to look like the NH license plates it was referring to, but the slogan was all caps and the state name was mixed case. The last idea I currently have is that the left edge of the clue was supposed to look like the profile of the Old Man of the Mountain (seen in the middle of some NH license plates), but I don't have to see a screenshot of the clue to guess that that's a stretch.
I'm sure I've posted it before, but my favorite NH license plate:
Moose-and-Squirrel Small.png
Moose-and-Squirrel Small.png (79.64 KiB) Viewed 1947 times

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:01 am
In case anyone's from Missouri, here's a screenshot anyway:

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

I got the NH license plate clue from Breaking Bad. Otherwise would've had no guess.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

AFRET CMS wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:03 pm
I think that the point is that the musical is rife with inaccuracies (Caesar Rodney being an elderly dying man, Rutledge leading a walkout of the Southern colonies over slavery, Martha J. visiting Philadelphia, Adams being disliked, the Liberty Bell tolling to announce the signing, etc.).
You left out the worst one (to my mind), Richard Henry Lee returning to Virginia to become governor.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:07 am
AFRET CMS wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:03 pm
I think that the point is that the musical is rife with inaccuracies (Caesar Rodney being an elderly dying man, Rutledge leading a walkout of the Southern colonies over slavery, Martha J. visiting Philadelphia, Adams being disliked, the Liberty Bell tolling to announce the signing, etc.).
You left out the worst one (to my mind), Richard Henry Lee returning to Virginia to become governor.
He only said they asked him to serve as governor. They must have changed their minds before he got there. Richard must have taken the news... sad-lee.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

sss-lee

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 am

He only said they asked him to serve as governor. They must have changed their minds before he got there. Richard must have taken the news... sad-lee.
Not nice to make me read that while sipping coffee. Now I have to clean my monitor.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.