Monday, April 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, April 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:10 pm I'll put the Galapagos Great Escape word in theFJguy post each day unless I read some reasonable objection not to do that. Someone who is hopeful of winning the trip and does not want any extra help given to competitors will be objection overruled.
I'll give my thanks; I'm going to end up missing Thu, Fri and all of next week live as I'll be in Boston.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Lefty wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:33 pm
we all have holes in our knowledge, and having a lock with $27,600 is a good way to make FJ irrelevant.
There were a number of paths to the right answer. "Graduated to the presidency" suggests a VP who succeeded, perhaps upon the president's death.

You're right, I hadn't realized it could be read that way (and I suspect a lot of other people didn't notice that aspect of the wording). It can be easy to overlook some wrinkles of a clue in 30 seconds, as opposed to when one is given LL-like time to parse the wording.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Sitcom (3), Fashion (1), 16th Century (3), Cut (3), Squid (2), Trap (2)
Brasil (3), Music (4), Invention (1), State (3), Writers (3), "O"pourri (2)

Lach Trash: ammonia, coffee, Brian Jones

From 1901 and high school, I subtracted around 17/18 years and remembered that President Truman was born in 1884. I wasn't sure if he had graduated college or not, but I went with the guess just on the years.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Truman. The high school age told me it was around 1940s-1950s, I knew Eisenhower went to West Point and although I don't know about FDR's education it seemed to me that Truman was the correct response.

I'm trying out the daily double wagering calculator and for the first daily double scenario, $5,000/$2,200/$8,800 with $36,000 clues on the board I get that a $2000 wager would have a 15.25% chance to win. For some reason any wager above 2100 gives between 25% and 27%. A higher daily double wager might have been better.

For the second daily double with $9,200/$7,400/$2,200 and $34,400 left on the board a wager of $5,000 gets a 58% chance to win. A $9200 wager would have been 50% odds and between $2,000 and $3,000 would give between 57% and 58%. His wager was as good as I can calculate it.

For the third daily double with $22,600/$13,800/$3,000 and $14,400 left on the board a wager of $3,000 gives a chance of 71% to win. A wager between $7,000 and $13,000 would have put those odds over 75%. A wager of $3,000 would have given a 73.5% chance. He could have wagered a little lower or a lot higher to get slightly better odds.

The numbers in the calculator should not be trusted as completely accurate. Whether or not they're complete garbage is left to be determined.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

Alan was the alternate who didn't get picked on November 30th (which aired the week of March 6th through 10th) and was going to get called back in January, and so he was. And it looks like that was a good thing for the rest of us that day, since he kicked butt!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Good thing the procurement option mentioned during Alan's interview segment wasn't available for young Frankenstein. The movie wouldn't have been as funny.
Last edited by OrangeSAM on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 pm How the hell was Coffee a stand and stare?
I don't know about others but my mind went to "beer" for "brew" and couldn't think of any famous Brazilian beer brands! (And I rarely drink beer, so odd my mind went there.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Tama Janowitz! I hadn't heard her name for decades! Great play by Alan & Emma. I knew Truman since I came across him earlier today on sporcle. I was sorely tempted to go on that Galapagos cruise but I'm just getting back from a Caribbean cruise 2 days before. That Big Star clue was the only one I missed in DJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:33 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 pm How the hell was Coffee a stand and stare?
I don't know about others but my mind went to "beer" for "brew" and couldn't think of any famous Brazilian beer brands! (And I rarely drink beer, so odd my mind went there.)
That's possible, that they all pavlov'd "brew" to beer and stalled out, instead of going "hey, South America produces a lot of coffee, that must be it".

Still, when I'm flabbergasted by a TS...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:MUSICIANS WHO DIED AT 27 was 3/5 for me in precalls and getting clues right as I had the predictable Cobain, Winehouse and Joplin. I was a touch to slow to recall the Rolling Stones guy and Chris Bell rang no bells for me.
I had no problem getting Brian Jones but I was thrown off track by the mention of Alex Chilton, thinking only of Box Tops, even though I own a Big Star CD. I agree with TPH on that being too obscure, even for a bottom row clue, and I think it would poll less than 10%.
Hell, they may as well had a clue about Alan 'Blind Owl' Wilson. Just asking for his band with a TOM of Goin Up the Country would make it sufficiently getable.
I had a beef with the clues for Winehouse and Joplin not fitting the category, as they were known primarily as singers rather than musicsians.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:42 am I had a beef with the clues for Winehouse and Joplin not fitting the category, as they were known primarily as singers rather than musicsians.
And a singer is not a musician? Seems like a very odd hair to split.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Strong play by the new champion Alan. Emma was also a fine competitor, one good enough to be a champion on most days.

She likely dearly regrets not betting everything on her first-round DD; had she done so, she would still have had a chance in FJ. Alan's own DD betting was quite good; although I would have bet everything on his first DD, given the subject and it being only in the second row, his play was $5000 was more than what most contestants would do, and was crucial in getting the lock.

LT: ammonia, David Foster Wallace

FJ: Got this in 10 seconds, purely by a bit of mental arithmetic (graduating high school in 1901 would mean he was born around 1883) and interpreting "graduating to the presidency" as meaning he was a vice president for one who died in office. The only one who fit both was Truman. Slightly surprised that both Emma and Alan missed it, although the tension was largely off for both.

Then again, it did cost Alan $3600, which is not chump change...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I went off the "graduated to the presidency" wording and started going through the vice-presidents who acceded. Theodore Roosevelt became prez in the year mentioned in the clue, so he was ruled out. Harding died in 1923, so if that clue was about Coolidge, it would have meant he was around 40 at that time—no good. By the time I got to Truman, the music was winding down, and I couldn't subtract to a birth year for him that satisfied me, but I kept him as the only one who was close. Later I realized that I had had a misfired synapse from my knowing he died in 1972, and was trying to get to 1872 for his birth year.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 am By the time I got to Truman, the music was winding down, and I couldn't subtract to a birth year for him that satisfied me, but I kept him as the only one who was close. Later I realized that I had had a misfired synapse from my knowing he died in 1972, and was trying to get to 1872 for his birth year.
Truman's was the first presidential death I remember, Boxing Day 1972. It was a bad day in general for Democratic presidential aspirants, with Bill Bradley fouling out as the Knicks went down to Boston.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:33 pm Brilliant play by Alan to intentionally leave off "what is" in front of "beat Germany". Clearly he knew that was incorrect but he baited Emma into negging right along with him, moving him into a lock position, which he maintained at the end of the game by exactly $2000! This strategy has been suggested and discussed on this board a few times before, but this may be the first time it's actually come to pass at such a crucial juncture of a game.
If he intentionally did that it's downright devious!

Do we know of any confirmed cases where a contestant intentionally threw a clue?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,800
46 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: ammonia, coffee, Brian Jones

This is the first of eight games for which I was in attendance when I was in Los Angeles a couple of months back. (The Coryat and whatnot is from the day of the taping.) This show marked Kelly Miyahara's return from maternity leave.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 pmI thought "Big Star" was a very obscure pick. They've never had a charted single, and none of their members seem to be individually notable.
I consider myself a knowledgeable music fan, and I had NHO them until a few months ago when I heard the original version of what I only knew as the That '70s Show theme.
Sprinkles are for winners.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

trainman wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:57 pm It's been said of Big Star that they didn't have many fans -- but every fan they did have ended up starting their own band.
Also said of everyone who owned The Velvet Underground and Nico.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
earendel

Post by earendel »

FJ! was an instaget for me. When I was on WWTBAM in 2000, my $64,000 question was:

Which of the following presidents went to college?
A - George Washington
B - Grover Cleveland
C - Harry Truman
D - Thomas Jefferson
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

earendel wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:33 am FJ! was an instaget for me. When I was on WWTBAM in 2000, my $64,000 question was:

Which of the following presidents went to college?
A - George Washington
B - Grover Cleveland
C - Harry Truman
D - Thomas Jefferson
Spoiler
Well, if 1776 (the musical) is to be believed, Thomas Jefferson went to William and Mary!
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"