Tuesday, April 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NUMERIC GROUPS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This numeric group was the subject of an April 20, 1959 Time magazine article titled “Rendezvous with Destiny”

Alan Lin: 16000-4000=12000 (2x = $36,000)
Dan Atherton: 18600-15401=3199
Meike Olin: 17000-15001=1999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mercury Seven (Alan – Seven Samurai) (Dan – Apollo 1) (Meike – Apollo 11 crew)

Daily Doubles
Meike: 1800+1800
Meike: 7400+2000
Alan: 6600+6600

Coryats
Alan: 10200
Dan: 18600
Meike: 15600

Combined: 44,400

Galapagos Great Escape word: Expedition
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Whatever advantage Alan may have had from a game’s experience did not seem to present itself against the challenge from Dan and Meike. They combined for a 34,200 Coryat compared to his 10,200 Coryat.

While Alan is 0/2 on FJ! clues he is 3/3 on DDs for an average hit of 4,867 on each one with none bigger than the all-in 6600 he needed today to get in range of his opponents. It’s a rare day when 16000 for the FJ! round is the low score.

In case it comes up later, no, Meike is not the first player to play from a seated position, but then join Alex and the players out front for the closing chat.

The writers are more than welcome to keep up with American history type clues that are well earlier than the currents events perimeter. I’m no space expert, but I’ve seen/read enough things to lock in the correct group instantly.

J! contestants should step on the stage knowing a basic timeline and order of space exploration events to avoid this kind of clue going 0/3.

Strange that two of the players knew the general area where to go with the clue, but did not have the right stuff to close the deal. Meike is on the AARP side of things, so at least the bare bones of 1969 for Apollo 11 should have kept her away from that error.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:59 pm Strange that two of the players knew the general area where to go with the clue, but did not have the right stuff to close the deal. Meike is on the AARP side of things, so at least the bare bones of 1969 for Apollo 11 should have kept her away from that error.
Well played.

I guess you could also say that this FJ involved hidden figures that might have been more obvious if the contestants had seen more of 2017 Best Picture nominees.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

FJ took about 3 seconds to process--date, numbers, etc--and it was an instaget. Being from Houston helped.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

With FJ, I hadn't a clue where on earth to go with that. As soon as Meike's response was revealed though, along with Alex's comments, I knew where I should have been thinking.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Great competitive game. I root for Peace Corps volunteers when they get on so I was mildly disappointed with the result, but it was an impressive performance from all contestants

As my signature notes, I'm something of a NASA nut, so this FJ was a walk in the park for me.

I did much better in Double Jeopardy than the first round, and I found the 1970's comedy category absurdly easy.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"TRUE !@^$!@&*#$ DOUBLE, DAMNIT!!!"
"oh *!@#, he actually did it!"

A proper TDD folllowd by a smart FJ bet? We're in the presence of a wagering miracle. And a bit of a miraculous win, too. He was getting his skull bashed in for most of the DJ round, nice comeback.

FJ took about 20 seconds too long, I think my mind spat out a dozen numerical groups from the wrong decade, but a get is a get.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I only got 4 out of 5 in the dog breeds category. :(

(I missed Saluki, so it was probably appropriately placed at the bottom. I've heard the name before, and if you had told me "Saluki" I might have guessed that it was from a warm or arid part of the world, but I couldn't come up with it.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In the intro, Meike came across as a stern teacher I would have hated to have. But she turned out to have a rather dry sense of humor that came across in her game play and conversation. I usually root for an older player and was disappointed she fell short.

The clue about Northeastern reminded me of the discussion here. https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2 ... rn#p233282

I'll make it a true Daily Double it didn't sink in this time, either.

My first thought on FJ was baby boomers, but they aren't a numerical group. I then shifted to the Fab Four, but 1959 was too early for them. I wondered if the specific date of April 1959 had any significance but nothing came to mind. I finally thought of the space program and it still took me a few seconds to remember their official name.

A well played game by the two challengers, good wagering saved Alan's bacon.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

As vague as both the clue and the category were, I'm not surprised it was a triple miss. I'm more surprised it was a triple miss with two of the contestants correctly narrowing it down to space travel, though. Not for one moment did space blip into my mind, and I'm not really sure how I was meant to make that connection except by accident. (For what it's worth, ultimately went with The Four Tops, thinking they might've been around early enough, and without a better guess in mind.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That felt like a very fast J! round to me. I don't see any possible time-sink that could've resulted in LTaM with 8 clues left on the board. What the hell happened?

NHO America Ferrera, or either of those two shows. Nothing at all rang any bells in that category.

Weimaraner was a tough start for $200 even with "Weimar" in the clue. Also didn't recognize basenji, lhasa apso, or saluki.

NHO any of those schools.

Ran the J! contractions category, and Eat This Verb.

Oddly, $800 was the only comedy film I didn't recognize.

The DJ! contractions category and office category were miles over the head of anyone who has never witnessed a birth or worked in an office.

Robert Frost = New England, huh?

I had no idea where to even start on this FJ! Mercury VII rings no bells at all.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

skullturf wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00 pm (I missed Saluki, so it was probably appropriately placed at the bottom. I've heard the name before, and if you had told me "Saluki" I might have guessed that it was from a warm or arid part of the world, but I couldn't come up with it.)
I know nothing about dog breeds, but I got this because I have a relative who went to Southern Illinois University (near Cairo, IL) whose mascot is the Saluki. The original Saluki mascot is buried under a miniature pyramid next to their football field, as I recall.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

44 right, plus all 3 DDs, 1 wrong, LT: Innisfree, instaget FJ!

The other day someone on the board was complaining that the writers are using too much recent pop culture material. So today's FJ! was tailor-made for boomers and was a triple stumper. I think the writers know what they are doing. I was a fan of Fleming-era Jeopardy! and at first (in 1984) I thought the Trebek version was too fluffy. Every generation since at least Plato has thought "kids these days are slackers".
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

50R. Clue made for me & you, see, complaint department heard and responded!! LOL@Instagets. Surprise TS!
LT: Saluki dog; Wm Jennings Bryan = silver tongued orator of the Platte (recently in J6!); Yates > Innisfree! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

What a great game. Alan dodged one there..Let us see if he can build on it. I have seen older contestants struggle with buzzer, but Meike was super...Broad range too.
I'm not sure how the contestant selection/clue writing teams work... But seems like we get a bunch of very good players at one time and then a lull.
OSXpert wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:31 pm
I did much better in Double Jeopardy than the first round, and I found the 1970's comedy category absurdly easy.
I don't do well in TV/movies, but even I got most of the movies in DJ. They were easier for me because those movie clues come up often. Did worse on TV in J.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Vowela wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:11 pm As vague as both the clue and the category were, I'm not surprised it was a triple miss.
I actually was. As soon as I saw the clue, I thought the odds for a triple get would be higher than for a triple stumper. Just shows how good I am at predicting Jeopardy contestant knowledge bases.

Alan is a very good player, but having a little bit of luck on top of skill never hurts.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ruling: Original 7 Astronauts?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Elijah Baley wrote:
MarkBarrett" wrote: Strange that two of the players knew the general area where to go with the clue, but did not have the right stuff to close the deal.
Well played.
This flies right over the head of boardies who have never seen that movie.
Bamaman wrote: I then shifted to the Fab Four, but 1959 was too early for them.
Not if the publication was The Mersey Beat.
Last edited by Category 13 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.