Wednesday, April 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC HOMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
While the White House was being built, George Washington’s executive mansion was in this city

Alan Lin: 22800+6000=28800 (3x = $64,800)
Chelan Allen: 14200-4000=10200
Samm Chiszar: 1200-1199=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Philadelphia (Chelan – New York City) (Samm – New York)

Daily Doubles
Alan: 5400+2000
Alan: 14400+4000
Samm: 4400-4000

Coryats
Alan: 19200
Chelan: 14200
Samm: 5200

Combined: 38,600

Galapagos Great Escape: sea lion
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I picked up a variety of trash with The Kinks, turnbuckle, and Beau Geste as this game seemed to have more for the 4th podium than yesterday even though Alan played much better today.

Alan’s path to victory with the lead in a non-runaway and sole solve of the FJ! clue has seemed to be harder to come by this season.

In the Tuesday thread I posted this line, “The writers are more than welcome to keep up with American history type clues that are well earlier than the currents events perimeter.”

I got what I wanted, but I did not where to go on a 10/45/45/90 as I had a 90% chance of picking wrong among three options. Trenton was the outlier that I considered as slimly possible among the two expected choices I thought the contestants might have.

To me NYC and Brotherly Love are equal as far as the FJ! round is concerned for one city to be harder or easier than the other. The house portion of the clue was not going to help this West Coaster as it’s not like I have any knowledge of seeing Washington’s place.

For me it was trying to recall the order of the capital cities before D.C. and the clue created a mental jumble. The next time I run into it I’ll try to recall that Washington’s first inauguration was NYC and the second was Philly, so alphabetical order.

It looked like Alan fairly quickly wrote his correct response and then did some recollection gymnastics to make sure he was recalling the right place. I’ve seen elsewhere he did college quiz bowl, so may have been accessing some memory tracks?

Chelan bet 4000 on the nose when she had reasonable options to also bet less or to bet more. I wondered if her wager was by coincidence or if she had seen discussions about the magic number.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My multi-sided coin landed the right way tonight. I wrote down both Philly and NYC and crossed off the correct one to cross off to get the solve. Boston was also on my radar. I mean, it could literally be any city at all, right?

I had always heard the expression as "fine fiddle" (or maybe I was thinking of fit as a fiddle). So I also said fittle for that one.

If Meike had won yesterday I guess we would have heard the etymology of her name unless she had more of her love life to share.

Congrats to Alan on a third win.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm To me NYC and Brotherly Love are equal as far as the FJ! round is concerned for one city to be harder or easier than the other. The house portion of the clue was not going to help this West Coaster as it’s not like I have any knowledge of seeing Washington’s place.

For me it was trying to recall the order of the capital cities before D.C. and the clue created a mental jumble. The next time I run into it I’ll try to recall that Washington’s first inauguration was NYC and the second was Philly, so alphabetical order.
I haven't thought about this until tonight, but maybe even better than alphabetical is geographic order. The capital kept moving south, at least as far as those three cities go. Considering that there was always tension between the North and the South, and Washington DC is a compromise between the two, I'm hopeful that I can now and forever remember the order.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

guh...precalled Falling Water (Frank Lloyd Wright) for FJ, only to have it turn into a 50/50, where I picked wrong :x
Got Kinks, Secret, desktop, turnbuckle and Beau Geste trash.
Last edited by DBear on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Chelan bet 4000 on the nose when she had reasonable options to also bet less or to bet more. I wondered if her wager was by coincidence or if she had seen discussions about the magic number.
I'm starting to wonder if there's been a rule change that allows the 2nd place finisher to keep their cash.

LT: Kinks, Secret, desk-top, Grand Stand, turnbuckle
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Wow, got blindsided by that FJ. Thought NYC was an instaget since that was where Washington was inaugurated. Kudos to Alan for getting it right this time.

These kids nowadays. Don't know Ray & Dave Davies co-founded The Kinks. But at least Chelan knew Geddie Lee & Neil Peart were in Rush.
davey

Post by davey »

Kenny wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:58 pm Wow, got blindsided by that FJ. Thought NYC was an instaget since that was where Washington was inaugurated. Kudos to Alan for getting it right this time.

These kids nowadays. Don't know Ray & Dave Davies co-founded The Kinks. But at least Chelan knew Geddie Lee & Neil Peart were in Rush.
Not necessarily. Each of those clues was gettable by just completing the familiar phrase.
Went the wrong way on FJ, though I was tempted by Philly... :roll:
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Would "snake" have sufficed for "rattlesnake"?

"Novel Countries" was one of the harder literature categories I've seen on the show. Was reasonably happy with 3/5, although I probably could have recalled Under the Volcano with another second or two. Amusingly, I found the $400 one, "The Thorn Birds", to be the toughest, and the $2000, "Ladies' No.1 Detective Agency", the easiest.

Alan conserving $3400 on his first DD very nearly cost himself a lock.

Nevertheless, another strong win by the champion.

LT: turnbuckle, ragtime

FJ: Instaget. Rather shocked this was a sole solve.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm Chelan bet 4000 on the nose when she had reasonable options to also bet less or to bet more. I wondered if her wager was by coincidence or if she had seen discussions about the magic number.
I'm guessing coincidence. Chelan's chances of winning the game are exactly the same with $4000 as with $11,799 AND don't affect her lock on second place.

In game theory terms, we say that a wager of $11,799 "dominates" a wager of $4000.

So in the 15% chance that she got FJ and Alan got it wrong, she would have cost herself at least $7,799 in winnings.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Missed Philadelphia. I would have picked Baltimore. I thought about NYC, Philadelphia, Richmond, and Mt. Vernon. At least now I know.

Turnbuckles are nifty. A bolt and a nut almost always uses a right-hand thread. A turnbuckle uses a left-hand thread and a right hand-thread. If a turnbuckle had two right-hand threads it would keep the same length between attachment points and it wouldn't stretch or shorten. I wouldn't be surprised if left-hand threads are used in turnbuckles more than every other application combined.

I don't know if I've ever heard the word fettle before.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:29 pm Would "snake" have sufficed for "rattlesnake"?
BMS for certain.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm Chelan bet 4000 on the nose when she had reasonable options to also bet less or to bet more. I wondered if her wager was by coincidence or if she had seen discussions about the magic number.
I'm guessing coincidence. Chelan's chances of winning the game are exactly the same with $4000 as with $11,799 AND don't affect her lock on second place.

In game theory terms, we say that a wager of $11,799 "dominates" a wager of $4000.

So in the 15% chance that she got FJ and Alan got it wrong, she would have cost herself at least $7,799 in winnings.
A bet to get her just above the leader's MSBIW score helps in case Alan overbets and they both miss it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Working out" was too generic for "the kinks" to click, so I ended up 4/5.

Terry was a NHOI in terms of towels.

NHO "Grandstand" in either context either. 0/5 in Compound Words.

NHO "Thorn Birds" either. How is that supposed to lead to Australia?

No guess on FJ! This seemed like a YEKIOYD.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:55 pm

The author of The Thorn Birds was an Australian named Colleen McCoullough.

I also had NYC for FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:55 pm

The author of The Thorn Birds was an Australian named Colleen McCoullough.
And I should know this why?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What the hell! I've been getting busted for forgetting the category. So, in spite of the clue saying "this" city, I went with Mount Vernon - the only name I could think of for a "historic home" and an actual municipality. I even told wifey if they want a city, I would pick Philly. Partly because of ignorance of all the other choices mentioned, but I will no longer give the category priority over a "this ____" in the clue.

How is his "executive mansion" a Historic home. sigh... Negbaited me with the category. It should have been "historic places", or ???. I expected trouble with the category because after the Hermitage, Monticello, and Mt. Vernon I've got nothin'.
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 pm Missed Philadelphia. I would have picked Baltimore. I thought about NYC, Philadelphia, Richmond, and Mt. Vernon. At least now I know.

Turnbuckles are nifty. .... I wouldn't be surprised if left-hand threads are used in turnbuckles more than every other application combined.

I don't know if I've ever heard the word fettle before.
Per MK, you probably are right about that left hand thread. The other use is for the left side mounted grinding wheels (so they tighten with rotation) and often with combustible gas containers so you don't put the wrong hardware on them.

I also don't believe "fettle" is a word. There's some conspiracy, man..

Finally, always say something nice about the game. Alan knows some obscure stuff. That DeBussy get at 2K had us thinking "fix" ala the $64,000 question scandal. I was rooting for Samm because Public Defenders are unsung heroes of democracy and the least of us.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:55 pmNHO "Thorn Birds" either. How is that supposed to lead to Australia?
You'd never heard of the book last time too.