Wednesday, April 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

I got ragtime from the wording of the answe. It was a little hard for me to hear the music. But I watched the episode on my computer from the Reddit guy.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

If you recall White House under construction during his 2nd term this is an easy get. 1st Inaug > NYC 1789. 2nd Philly 1793. Capital moved south!

44R; LT: Secret, desktop, turnbuckle ragtime and Beau Geste. :D

Ran Debussy; still waiting to see this, his only opera (real tradegy!):
Spoiler
Skinny wiki on the White House construction &tc, NB: Hoban, 8 years' work in progress (Adams first occupant):
Spoiler
The residence was designed by Irish-born architect James Hoban in the Neoclassical style. Construction took place between 1792 and 1800 using Aquia Creek sandstone painted white. When Thomas Jefferson moved into the house in 1801, he (with architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe) added low colonnades on each wing that concealed stables and storage. In 1814, during the War of 1812, the mansion was set ablaze by the British Army in the Burning of Washington, destroying the interior and charring much of the exterior. Reconstruction began almost immediately, and President James Monroe moved into the partially reconstructed Executive Residence in October 1817. Exterior construction continued with the addition of the semi-circular South portico in 1824 and the North portico in 1829.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:00 am
IronNeck wrote:Chances of Alan over-betting a basic crush situation aren't quite 0%, but they're certainly well below 1%.
It's easy for us observers to know this, after seeing his earlier games but Chelan might not have witnessed any of Alan's games before she got on stage.
Even if she did, it's evident that she probably doesn't/didn't understand why he wagered like he did, and didn't learn much about wagering strategy before trying out for the show.
She definitely would have seen the Monday and Tuesday shows.

The time period for the Ragtime clue probably got me thinking in that direction in the first place, but the music definitely sounded like Ragtime to me. Surprised other people didn't think so.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:07 am The time period for the Ragtime clue probably got me thinking in that direction in the first place, but the music definitely sounded like Ragtime to me. Surprised other people didn't think so.
It didn't sound ragtime-y to me either, but like so many others I got it from the wording. Piano music around the turn of the 20th century that was a forerunner of jazz -- WECIB?

MarkBarrett, can we have a poll question, "I correctly solved the 'ragtime' DD even though I thought the music didn't sound like ragtime"?
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

Cakewalk music is generally ragtime, so that's another link. I'm familiar with Golliwogg's Cakewalk, and I'll say this: If it had a different title, I wouldn't associate those oom-chunks with ragtime. It's more of an homage than ragtime in the strictest sense, especially once you get to the more expressive sections. My 2 cents.

I also got the DD about Rice University, only because I worked on promo material for an event that used their logo. The style guidelines require a certain amount of white space around the logo, which is determined by the height of the owls on the shield!
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:14 pm What the hell! I've been getting busted for forgetting the category. So, in spite of the clue saying "this" city, I went with Mount Vernon
I went for Alexandria, since it's the closest city to Mt. Vernon. It existed at the time, but wasn't considered a "city" yet. I figured that maybe technically, Mt. Vernon was within city limits. Sigh...
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:34 amIt didn't sound ragtime-y to me either, but like so many others I got it from the wording.
Ditto.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

dinghammer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:31 am ... left-handed screws and bolts were a small fraction of our stock. I think one major use for them is in bicycles, unless I'm horribly misremembering.
I'd forgotten about the bicycle application. I don't think it's actually left-handed nuts and bolts, but rather one of the pedal mounts. If I'm visualizing it correctly, the left pedal has a right-hand thread while the right pedal has a left-hand thread, so that normal forward pedaling tends to tighten the connection. It would be disconcerting to have a pedal unscrew itself while riding.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:10 am I was rooting for Chelan based on her anecdote. Very easy FJ! Sam never got it going.
Buzzer trouble. I was hoping Samm, a public defender from Brooklyn, NY, would find his groove in DJ but it just wasn't his day. Felt bad for the guy.

LT: secret, grandstand, desktop

4/5 Debussy, missed Ragtime; agree that l'après-midi d'un faune is Debussy 101

The Rice DD get shocked me, too. What's the owl connection?

Got Philadelphia on a guess
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:16 pm The Rice DD get shocked me, too. What's the owl connection?
That's the school mascot and athletic logo -- all the athletic teams are the "Rice Owls." http://www.riceowls.com/index-main.html

(Just like Temple in Philadelphia.)
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Here's the Debussy audio DD for those who want another listen or two:

https://youtu.be/FD_RsbQrcNw
[Note: our embed video feature seems not to be working, so I provided a link instead.]

I can definitely hear the ragtime in the first part. I think I didn't start paying close attention to the music until Alex was done reading the clue. By then the ragtime is hard to hear. That may be in part because they chose an orchestrated version of the piece. I think a lot of ragtime's distinctive sound arises from the instrument on which it is played--i.e. the piano.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:07 am The time period for the Ragtime clue probably got me thinking in that direction in the first place, but the music definitely sounded like Ragtime to me. Surprised other people didn't think so.
I said "stride", which I believe is a subset of ragtime.

I blame a friend of mine, who is a huge fan of ragtime (he composes ragtime songs and visits ragtime festivals in the area where he lives). Too much knowledge etc.
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:35 pm
I can definitely hear the ragtime in the first part. I think I didn't start paying close attention to the music until Alex was done reading the clue. By then the ragtime is hard to hear. That may be in part because they chose an orchestrated version of the piece. I think a lot of ragtime's distinctive sound arises from the instrument on which it is played--i.e. the piano.
Definitely agreed here.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I have an acquaintance who practically LIVES ragtime... Amateur pianist, ragtime blogger/historian... 15 years old, daughter of one of the best hot-jazz multi-instrumentalists on the West coast... Her brother plays drums and tuba (sometimes with Dad's band, sometimes elsewhere), her mom is a high-mucky-muck at the Bay Area's jazz radio station and Dad does a Sunday morning show on the same station. In short her house is a "jazz camp" 24/7.

She even dresses in ragtime-era fashions... Even to school... EVERY day, and nobody messes with her about it. If anyone should know whether Golliwog's Cakewalk should truly be considered ragtime or even a little bit or not at all, she is the one.

I'm going to go see her dad's band play tomorrow night, and she is almost always there, too. I'll have to remember to ask her about Golliwog's Cakewalk after I first take my guess at what specific year her fashions represent this time... I'm 0-for-ten zillion lifetime, but I get within a year or two quite often. :)

My opinion at the moment (after listening to a couple full versions on YouTube) is that it's not really ragtime, but clearly is influenced and shows it here and there. The J! staff *could* have picked a different clip of the piece, but... The clue didn't specifically say that the piece WAS ragtime, but just that Debussy had at least some interest in it.

This opinion very subject to change after I hear Ramona's dissertation. :)

Interesting... I just happened to think about the word Golliwog and wondered what it meant... And wiki provides this for the answer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwog
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:52 am I got ragtime from the wording of the answer. It was a little hard for me to hear the music. But I watched the episode on my computer from the Reddit guy.
I had a little difficulty with this question - I went with ragtime, but thought it also fit the "stride" style (similar to ragtime) and was flipping mental coins to decide; went with rag because stride isn't as well known. Not sure if that would have worked in Culver City or not.

BTW, if you want to hear it from the "horse's mouth," here is Debussy playing it from 1913 (played off a piano roll that was made off of his playing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrdhgWR9Zk
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:40 pm ...My opinion at the moment (after listening to a couple full versions on YouTube) is that it's not really ragtime, but clearly is influenced and shows it here and there. The J! staff *could* have picked a different clip of the piece, but... The clue didn't specifically say that the piece WAS ragtime, but just that Debussy had at least some interest in it.

This opinion very subject to change after I hear Ramona's dissertation. :)
According to Ramona, my above hypothesis was about right. "Golliwog" is a classical piece with bits of ragtime influence, in other words kinda on the fringe of actually being ragtime. The piece is played in concert by both ragtime players and classical players.

Ramona's first reaction when I asked her about the show and that DD was, "My job ain't done yet!", referring to her ragtime-educating blog. :)

Still, I don't think this was a well-executed Audio DD by the J! writers. This clue would probably have been nailed by many players WITHOUT the audio, but the poorly-chosen clip seemed to lead the player away from the correct response. If there was any piano in the clip, it was covered up by Alex reading the clue while the music was playing... Also, if there was any of the ragtime-trademark syncopation in the clip, I didn't hear it...

for the record, I had the correct response off the wording of the clue and stuck with it despite the somewhat misleading audio.