Million Dollar Mind Game 11/27 (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Million Dollar Mind Game 11/27 (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
Two former J! champs, as was said in a previous post, Brad Rutter and Alan Bailey, were on today's first season finale episode. Rutter's J! history was mentioned frequently, but Bailey's wasn't. THe team of six played ten questions, and answered nine of them right without any helps. They missed only one question, and the team unanimously decided to stop after the ninth question, splitting $600K and winning $100K each
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Million DOllar Mind Game 11/27

Post by seaborgium »

Three champs.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Argh, my DVR didn't get it. If you find info on reruns/web-runs, please post...

Who were the other team members?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Joining Alan, Brad and Ethan were:

Jonathan Dinerstein
Adam Stein
Rebecca Ward (engaged to Jonathan)

Only first names were shown on the graphic with last names provided by the verbal introductions. I'm taking my best guess on the spellings.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OK, they answered
Spoiler
five
questions, well
Spoiler
six if you include the one they missed
. They get 60 seconds to answer, so basically out of a 60 minute program, there were all of
Spoiler
six
minutes of actual game play. Not my speed for a game show.
legendneverdies

alietr wrote:OK, they answered
Spoiler
five
questions, well
Spoiler
. They get 60 seconds to answer, so basically out of a 60 minute program, there were all of
Spoiler
six
There were
Spoiler
ten questions asked, of which they answered nine, by my count
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Spoiler
five
questions, well
Spoiler
Spoiler
six
EVERY game show developed for prime time in the last few years is done at a snail's pace. Unbearable!! I want to like them, and I hate every single one. All competition reality shows either build false interpersonal conflict, melodrama, into the mix, or that stupid 'queen for a day' crap to curry audience sympathy--no, pity. They can all just get the hell off my lawn. Even Meredith's 'Who wants to be a bastard millionaire' plays the queen for a day card. It's a sorry time, I tell ya. Six questions per hour is not out of the norm these days.

Game shows get no respect, I tell ya. Except for one.
legendneverdies

bomtr wrote:
Spoiler
five
questions, well
Spoiler
Spoiler
six
EVERY game show developed for prime time in the last few years is done at a snail's pace. Unbearable!! I want to like them, and I hate every single one. All competition reality shows either build false interpersonal conflict, melodrama, into the mix, or that stupid 'queen for a day' crap to curry audience sympathy--no, pity. They can all just get the hell off my lawn. Even Meredith's 'Who wants to be a bastard millionaire' plays the queen for a day card. It's a sorry time, I tell ya. Six questions per hour is not out of the norm these days.

Game shows get no respect, I tell ya. Except for one.
Million DOllar Password wasn't terribly slow, but most primetime shows since 2001 were, and syndicated DOn't Forget the Lyrics played only four songs(five if the Encore song was tried) in a half hour last year, plus a question for the viewer at home(multiple choice music trivia question). SYndicated fifth grader did 11 or 12 questions in season one, 9 or 10 in season two(assuming the bonus question was seen and counting the Extra Credit question they did with home viewers before the final commercial break). Millionaire is getting 15-20 questions in on some shows this season, and some of us don't like to see J! leave a few clues unplayed which still leaves at least 50-55 clues on every non-celeb show.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

yeah, MDMG is borderline unwatchable unless you have a DVR and can FF through all the production values crap. but i love the question-writing. with very few exceptions, you KNOW when you have the right answer, even though it's rarely the first thing to come to mind.

well, no matter; the show is dead now.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

I saw this show and definitely liked the question writing. This was a strong team, so I'm not surprised they did well. How did the previous teams do?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I believe the next most successful team left with $210,000, and there was another team that left with $48,000 or some other five-digit amount.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote:Argh, my DVR didn't get it. If you find info on reruns/web-runs, please post...
Here it is on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQ5AROEQ7I
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I thought the team must have made an agreement in advance to stop if they got to 600k. I was frankly kind of surpeised they didn't go for the million, since they had helps remaining and only one miss.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
legendneverdies

seaborgium wrote:I believe the next most successful team left with $210,000, and there was another team that left with $48,000 or some other five-digit amount.
And one team had $600K and went for the Million and ended up losing the $600K, touted as the greatest amount of money ever lost on a US game show.
legendneverdies

billy pilgrim wrote:I thought the team must have made an agreement in advance to stop if they got to 600k. I was frankly kind of surpeised they didn't go for the million, since they had helps remaining and only one miss.
Seeing that the clock read 57 after the hour, and that it was the last show of the season(probably the series), it pretty much indicated the team was going to stop.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

My guess (and when I next run into Alan Bailey online, I'll ask him) is that they did agree in advance to stop at that level. The rules of the game were that they could only stop after they successfully answered a question. So, if they went on, they would have had 3 chances to get the $1,000,000 question right. On the other hand, I was thinking that the final question might have been set at a much more difficult level than the previous questions. A team this good might have nailed such a question, but they also might not have. If they continued, they would each be risking $100K to get another $67K. To me, the risk/reward of the situation strongly suggests that they made the right decision here.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

The only thing that kept me watching was seeing if I could arrive at the right answer before the Pub Quiz team. They got a couple (Michelangelo, umpires) before I could, but I got to President/resident and Lego substantially before they did. :mrgreen:
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Beat them to Umpires, Lego, President/resident (though I had preside/ reside, would have to hear wording again to see if both worked) and (wow!) tupperware was like a kids' week FJ. Done before the riddle was completed.
legendneverdies

slam wrote: A team this good might have nailed such a question, but they also might not have. If they continued, they would each be risking $100K to get another $67K. To me, the risk/reward of the situation strongly suggests that they made the right decision here.
But they would have only had to get one of the next four questions right, as they also have the switch the question lifeline, and could miss two more questions and not be out of the game.