Tuesday, May 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MYTHOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This woman was created & given to Epimetheus as punishment for his brother’s actions

Alan Lin: 10200+8500=18700
Chris Burke: 12400-12000=400
Liz Fischer: 13200+12401=25601 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pandora (Chris – Hera)

Daily Doubles
Chris: 4200+2000
Liz: 6600+6600
Alan: 7200-3000

Coryats
Alan: 13200
Chris: 10800
Liz: 8200

Combined: 32,200

Galapagos Great Escape: kayak
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex is wrong about Sandy in Annie as I saw an elementary school production of the play and the dog part was fun for the child and got several laughs from the audience.

J! players: Bone up on presidential middle names as Abram = Garfield should not get by 3 players. Antiques Roadshow and Yakov Smirnoff as stumpers? Whatever.

Liz was 2/2 on the big clues she played and well done on the maximized 6600 for ART “C” as the category promised a hint.

Unfortunately, for Alan he was exposed once again in the area of presidents when he could not solve his DD that could have won him the match. In this case while I think the clue would have been fine for the FJ! round I also think it’s perfectly fair for a DD.

The FJ! round quickly removed the drama as I saw Liz writing immediately and her big DD bet tipped off no likely under wager from her leading position. I don’t know what going past 24801 to 25601 proves, but she’ll be last introduced tomorrow for what counts. The clue was basic mythology with no detours (Well, other than Hera by Chris), so I’ll have to wait for other posts to see where else one could go wrong.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 4:01 pmUnfortunately, for Alan he was exposed once again in the area of presidents when he could not solve his DD that could have won him the match. In this case while I think the clue would have been fine for the FJ! round I also think it’s perfectly fair for a DD.
I will assert with confidence that Alan has not read Prisoner of Trebekistan. (That's how I got it.)

Is "still life" effectively Pavlov for "Cezanne"?
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 5:42 pm Is "still life" effectively Pavlov for "Cezanne"?
I think "post-impressionist" may be the even stronger Pavlov, especially if the correct response can't be Gauguin.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I ran the Knights category.

Surprisingly, 4/5 in Geography. I misread the last clue and thought they wanted a state, and couldn't backtrack to Snake River in time.

WLT wine, Chicago, or JFK Jr. at the top box?

Also 4/5 in What Are You Made Of. Didn't recognize the bottom.

Portmanteau for $800 was extremely clumsy. How is "manage a stage child" even a thing that can even be guessed? What did they want more generally?

Charity people carry clipboards?!

Chiaroscuro was my best get in this game. That word must have Hawley-Smooted into my mind.

Surprised myself by also running Bye Lines.

Lach Trash: overpass, Yakov Smirnoff, Emily Dickinson.

My guess for a PBS show that was part adventure and treasure hunt was "Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?" Only off by a lot.

No guess on FJ! I know Pandora had something to do with a box, but otherwise know nothing.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

It would have been nice if they had said that Sir loin had been cut by a Sir rated knife, but I enjoyed that category.

Ampersand as a DD was essentially free money.

Pandora was the first negatively-associated mythology female I could come up, but I did not remember Prometheus's brothers name so it was mostly a shot in the dark lucky guess.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Vintsanity wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 7:25 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 5:42 pm Is "still life" effectively Pavlov for "Cezanne"?
I think "post-impressionist" may be the even stronger Pavlov, especially if the correct response can't be Gauguin.
The combo of "still-life" and "post-impressionist" pretty much means it's gotta be Cezanne. That's like a Pavlov squared. :D And especially since Cezanne was my only precall for the category, I was on that DD right away. Congrats to Liz and bravo for her wager on that DD which was the difference in the game. Well, that and Alan missing a gettable DD. Kudos to Alan for still hanging in there -- he was a Liz FJ miss away from becoming a 7xer. And we'll see Alan again in the TOC. I'm still wavering on whether he's a gold or a silver. :)

Instaguess FJ for me today. I wrote down Pandora right away but with very low confidence (I couldn't figure out in what way she would be a punishment to Epimethius. I mean, it was really humanity as a whole that she hurt. But I couldn't think of anyone better to change my response to.) I was pleasantly surprised when she was revealed to be the correct response.

My seemingly random guess of Pandora may have come from some residual memory that she was the first mortal woman fashioned by the gods, a tidbit I learned after the more-difficult FJ in this game (but which I basically hadn't thought about since then): http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ht=pandora

Regarding the Yakov Smirnoff clue, I expected it to be a TS. Two reasons: the wording of the clue seemed slightly off from the syntax of a typical Yakov Smirnoff reference; and his heyday was a long time ago (wikipedia says "He reached his biggest success in the mid-to-late 1980s") and these contestants all seemed on the younger side.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

Coryat of 23,600 the first time keeping score in like a year? Happy with that result. :-)

Lach Trash of Yakov Smirnoff, overpass, thought dickinson but was unsure so kept clam.

Answered History Detectives instead of antiques roadshow, one of those cases where too much knowledge (in my case of short-lived PBS shows) was a dangerous thing.

Didn't hit Pandora before my husband instagot it, but crediting myself with it since I'm pretty sure I would have gotten there in time.

Need to do some review on art and presidents.
georgetrev
Contributor

Post by georgetrev »

KTXA ran a Teachers Tournament episode from last season for some reason. Didn't get to see the new ep here.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I considered Cassandra, but stuck with Pandora. Nice run by Alan.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 pm
No guess on FJ! I know Pandora had something to do with a box, but otherwise know nothing.
Actually it was a jar.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/p/pandora.html

The receptacle became a "box" via a 16th-century mistranslation from the Greek.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

georgetrev wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 9:14 pm KTXA ran a Teachers Tournament episode from last season for some reason. Didn't get to see the new ep here.
They swapped the two episodes, I assume by mistake. This episode was on at 5:30. I turned the station on during FJ! and was pretty frustrated.
davey

Post by davey »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 9:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 pm
Actually it was a jar.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/p/pandora.html

The receptacle became a "box" via a 16th-century mistranslation from the Greek.
OK, mythology is not one of my favorite categories...
This story of Pandora (which I can't remember ever knowing - except for the box/jar, of course) puzzles me more than the clue does about why Pandora - this "all-gifted" woman - was a punishment. Was she Prometheus' girlfriend first? Did the gods know she would open the jar? I don't get it...
For 30 seconds, I was pretty happy with my guess of Medusa...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: The FJ! round quickly removed the drama as I saw Liz writing immediately and her big DD bet tipped off no likely under wager from her leading position. I don’t know what going past 24801 to 25601 proves, but she’ll be last introduced tomorrow for what counts.
Alan's FJ bet was also questionable, as he 'covered' Liz in the event of a TS but failed to consider Chris having $4399 left over if he makes the optimum 2nd place wager. Alas, Chris also overwagered, so Alan would have won on a TS anyway.

Had Alan got his DD, we almost certainly would have had a sudden death tie-breaker at the end of FJ!.
With three or four clues remaining it looked like we could have a possible tie between Chris and Liz, as Alex had warned there was "very little time remaining". Liz 'spoiled' it by being the next to ring in, but it wouldn't have mattered in the end.

LT: Talking Heads
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category 13 wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: The FJ! round quickly removed the drama as I saw Liz writing immediately and her big DD bet tipped off no likely under wager from her leading position. I don’t know what going past 24801 to 25601 proves, but she’ll be last introduced tomorrow for what counts.
Alan's FJ bet was also questionable, as he 'covered' Liz in the event of a TS but failed to consider Chris having $4399 left over if he makes the optimum 2nd place wager. Alas, Chris also overwagered, so Alan would have won on a TS anyway.

Had Alan got his DD, we almost certainly would have had a sudden death tie-breaker at the end of FJ!.
With three or four clues remaining it looked like we could have a possible tie between Chris and Liz, as Alex had warned there was "very little time remaining". Liz 'spoiled' it by being the next to ring in, but it wouldn't have mattered in the end.

LT: Talking Heads
If Alan solved his DD he missed that is +6000 on his 10200 for the clear lead over Liz. I think Alan would have bet to win by a buck.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
If Alan solved his DD he missed that is +6000 on his 10200 for the clear lead over Liz. I think Alan would have bet to win by a buck.
Ooops... (slaps forehead)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

And that, folks, is why you bet everything on a Daily Double in a category you're confident in.

Liz had the lowest Coryat of the trio but had the lead going into FJ thanks to her all-in DD bet. Props to her; she played to win and maximized her chances. And was rewarded by defeating a 6-day champion and a solid challenger.

Rather disappointed I didn't say anything for Antique Roadshows given how often I've watched it.

LT: Andromeda, John Quincy Adams, Yakov Smirnov, Emily Dickinson

FJ: Instaget
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Instaguess for me as well on Pandora.