Teachers Tournament

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Teachers Tournament

Post by morbeedo »

I don't know why, but I never watch the Teachers Tournament. What's the difficulty level compared to regular games?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Teachers Tournament

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 6:37 pm I don't know why, but I never watch the Teachers Tournament. What's the difficulty level compared to regular games?
About the same. No reason not to watch, unless you really don't care for the tournament format.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

I'm worse at trivia than MinnesotaMyron, so my perception of difficulty is different. I think it's slightly harder than the College Tournament, but easier than regular Jeopardy.
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

The difficulty level is virtually identical, but with a few more academic categories. FWIW, my Coryats are about $2000 higher in the Teachers Tournament than on regular shows.
Hoping for a third lap
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I'm not mistaken, they draw these players from the regular contestant pool rather than have a special search just for teachers like they do college and teen players.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I've felt that these tournaments are at Teen Tournament level of easiness, and I'm not sure why teens and teachers are given so many softballs when they are the ones that are more likely to have had recent knowledge of the answers of the regular show.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Well, now I'm curious, so I plan to watch the next 2 weeks :-)

I usually fall behind in my Jeopardy viewing during the year and end up skipping the tournaments so I can catch up to the current regular episodes. I still have 3 weeks of shows to watch on the DVR from this season.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I've always thought that the Teachers Tournament was pretty much at the difficulty level of regular games due to the fact that, as pointed out, the participants are drawn from the regular pool.

But I wasn't going to let just a hunch guide my assertion, I am going to back it up with cold, hard data. As y'all know, I've been tracking my Coryats since January, 2009 (Excel file here for anyone wanting to double-check the math), and I figured I'd look at what my average scores have been for tournaments and regular games from Season 30 onward (as a good sample size (as well as the fact that I lost half of season 29 stats due to a hard disk crash)). I averaged out my scores for all first run (so no repeats) of the Teen, Teachers, College, and TOC games, as well as all first run regular games in that time period, and here are my averages:

TOC: $19,180
Regular: $22,976
Teachers: $24,462
College: $26,883
Teen: $34,910

So, all are at the difficulty level than I thought. Seems the teachers are more between Regular and College in terms of this data, though the fact that I have far more regular games to sample from than any tournament may skew it a bit.

Anyways, I hope this serves at least as some actual data point rather than what we "feel" the difficulty of the tournament is.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012