Monday, May 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

Pretty good start to the Teacher's Tournament today, on the whole.

George managed to pick up all three of the game's Daily Doubles, and my only criticism was that he was slightly too timid on two of them. Picked up DD3 on the final clue of DJ, and didn't wager to take the lead going into final.

A fair amount of Lach Trash out there to be had today, but on the whole a pretty decent set of game clues, maybe slightly skewing to the side of slightly easier than normal (but only just).

Gail was steady and solid the whole match, without any big swings or gaps in responding. I didn't keep a full scoresheet, but I think Gail did quite well on the bottom row clues in both rounds, accounting for good bit of her scoring. For the most part, I'd say the same for George and Graham. All good solid players who represented themselves very well.

Singleton get on FJ for Gail, which cinched her victory. The singleton get is the only thing that preserved her win, because had George responded correctly, he had wagered enough to win the match, based on Gail not making the cover wager on FJ)

Congrats to Gail for the victory and locking up her spot in the semi-finals. I don't think George is going to have much of a chance on his low total, and Graham is going to need some serious good fortune to advance (though his 0 wager from 3d place in FJ left him a total that could get him through if the breaks all fall right-but not likely at all, IMO).

Going into FJ, scores stood at Gail 13800, George 9100, Graham 8400. Gail wagered 2000, George 7000, Graham 0. Final Totals Gail 15800, George 2100, Graham 8400.

Looking forward to the rest of the tourney!
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
A YEAR OF FIRSTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Year in which the Department of Energy was created, the Indy 500 had its first female driver & the 1st president was sworn in under a nickname

Gail Ansheles: 13800+2000=15800 (Semi-Finalist)
George Deane: 9100-7000=2100
Graham Toben: 8400-0=8400

Correct response:
Spoiler
1977 (George – 1950) (Graham – 2008)

Daily Doubles
George: 1000+500
George: 5700+3000
George: 11100-2000

Coryats
Gail: 13800
George: 9800
Graham: 8400

Combined: 32,000

Memo to me: Shop early to avoid the rush to make sure I get the third slot in the game thread tomorrow.
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon May 08, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

50R including the FJ! clue tells me the material for May 8 – 19 will be easier than regular play. Yes, part of it is because there is less cutesy stuff and more traditional fare.

Of course I’m old enough to know who Dick Weber and Hank Greenberg are, so advantage me.

Today’s game had three players with first names all starting with the letter “G” so I would guess that possibly has never happened previously? The letter “M” I’m sure has been triply represented in a game.

For the FJ! clue I get that DoE and Indy woman may not be known things to peg to a year. What had me shaking my head was two guesses that were not “sworn in” years. Come on now even with lights, stage, pressure etc. that should not happen.

Some people post in the daily thread without reading all of the previously posts. I’ll call now that some yahoo will attempt to bring up Grant, Cleveland, “Teddy” Roosevelt or Coolidge.

Gail can relax in the audience for the rest of the QF round. Graham’s time of torture may or may not extend through the next four games. If George makes the semis then I’ll call now the overall winner is bronze for the TOC.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 3:49 pm
For the FJ! clue I get that DoE and Indy woman may not be known things to peg to a year. What had me shaking my head was two guesses that were not “sworn in” years. Come on now even with lights, stage, pressure etc. that should not happen.
I figured someone would come up with the election year, as opposed to swearing in. But 1950 was a real head scratcher.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

Memo to me: Shop early to avoid the rush to make sure I get the third slot in the game thread tomorrow.
I swear I won't jump line tomorrow.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I can even TELL you the first woman at Indy:

Janet Guthrie, driving car #27, the "Bryant Heating and Cooling Special".

She started in the middle of row 9, but retired after completing 26 laps (Magneto failure).

(Source: The 1977 Indianapolis 500 Yearbook)
ACW

Post by ACW »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 4:30 pm
I figured someone would come up with the election year, as opposed to swearing in. But 1950 was a real head scratcher.
2008's even MORE of a headscratcher. I hope Graham's not a history teacher--I may've not gotten the year right, but I KNOW DoE's not THAT recent.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

ACW wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 5:53 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 4:30 pm
2008's even MORE of a headscratcher. I hope Graham's not a history teacher--I may've not gotten the year right, but I KNOW DoE's not THAT recent.
Yeah, that was a curious response too, but at least it was a presidential election year. But yeah, almost any other year would have been a better guess because there was a fair amount of discussion before the Inauguration about whether they would use Obama's full name, including "Hussein" because, yeah, it's so scary for conservatives. :lol: We'll have to see if the (non)wager is enough to keep Graham in the pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I actually struggled with this board even worse than usual.

Jerome Bettis? NHOI. Didn't recognize any of those names come to think of it.

Style, stigma? NHOI either.

Selfie sticks have parts?

Religion for $400 was monstrous negbait for "zen".

Lach Trash: Wizards of Waverly Place

FJ! was a "pure trivia" clue. Either you know all this esoteric crap, or you don't. No TOM whatsoever. What a garbage clue.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Seemed like it almost had to be either 1977 or 1993. I wasn't sure of when the Department of Energy was created, or the Indy 500's first woman driver, but 1977 seemed more likely, so went with that. Surprised only one person got it, really.

I don't get Graham's wager, though it may work out for him in the end, who knows. He almost certainly couldn't win with the $0 wager barring a foolish wager by Gail, and I would not want to count on $8400 holding up for a wildcard spot.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ok, I know we can be overly critical of DD wagers, but George really needed to put some more thought into his on that final clue DD.

Also, he probably should've been negged for "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." It's "Dwarfs." Tolkien popularized the spelling with a v after Snow White came out.

And count me as another one scratching his head that only one of our teachers could name a year in which a president was actually sworn in. I went with 1945 and Harry Truman, myself. Once the correct response was revealed, I remembered Jimmy Carter creating the DoE as a cabinet department.

George's response of 2008 presumably refers to Obama. Did he think "Barack" was a nickname? If so, what's it a nickname for? Puzzling.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 7:27 pm
FJ! was a "pure trivia" clue. Either you know all this esoteric crap, or you don't. No TOM whatsoever. What a garbage clue.
I think that there's certainly a pure trivia way to get the response on this, depending on various levels of knowledge in things like Indy or Presidential trivia.

However, I'd say that I got it by taking two pieces of general knowledge and piecing them together to get there. I knew that DoE was a construct of the 1970's energy crises, and therefore the only real intuition required was to think of Presidents inaugurated in that decade. Short list really, and then recalling that Jimmy's given name was James, meant it had to be him.

Take that, plus knowing 1976 was the election year leads to all of that stuff happening in 1977.

Knew the Janet Guthrie part of the clue, but had no idea exactly what year it was.

The clue could be pure trivia for some folks, but it also allowed for a number of ways to get home.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vowela wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 pm Seemed like it almost had to be either 1977 or 1993. I wasn't sure of when the Department of Energy was created, or the Indy 500's first woman driver, but 1977 seemed more likely, so went with that. Surprised only one person got it, really.
I'm surprised ANYONE got it, because it's a totally trivial junction of three different knowledge bases. It's like asking "It's the year that Woodland Mall in Grand Rapids, Michigan opened, Bobby Unser won the Indy 500, and Swaziland gained independence."
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Vowela wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 pm I don't get Graham's wager, though it may work out for him in the end, who knows. He almost certainly couldn't win with the $0 wager barring a foolish wager by Gail, and I would not want to count on $8400 holding up for a wildcard spot.
Strangely enough, Graham made the only rational wager. If the leader is going to bet anything might as well bet to cover. If 2nd is going to bet anything, might as well wager everything.

All DD wagers left something to be desired as well. Gotta chuckle at wagering $500.

But yes, both of those incorrect answers were very bad, although better than leaving it blank.

And the FJ clue was just fine, typical for a Jeopardy clue. Didn't have to know the answer but can easily ration it out from the Presidential nickname. Any more posts about this should go in TPH's thread.
davey

Post by davey »

JLJ wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 7:43 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 7:27 pm
I think that there's certainly a pure trivia way to get the response on this, depending on various levels of knowledge in things like Indy or Presidential trivia.

However, I'd say that I got it by taking two pieces of general knowledge and piecing them together to get there. I knew that DoE was a construct of the 1970's energy crises, and therefore the only real intuition required was to think of Presidents inaugurated in that decade. Short list really, and then recalling that Jimmy's given name was James, meant it had to be him.

Take that, plus knowing 1976 was the election year leads to all of that stuff happening in 1977.

Knew the Janet Guthrie part of the clue, but had no idea exactly what year it was.

The clue could be pure trivia for some folks, but it also allowed for a number of ways to get home.
The first two parts lead you to the late 20th C.- after the nuclear era and women's liberation took hold (If you didn't know the concerns of the Energy Department before Rick Perry did, you should now), and it's a short leap to Jimmy...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:05 pm The first two parts lead you to the late 20th C.- after the nuclear era and women's liberation took hold (If you didn't know the concerns of the Energy Department before Rick Perry did, you should now)
Or they don't. There are lots of "women's firsts" that predate the women's lib era, and "Department of Energy" is so generic that it could've been founded at any time in the past century.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Correct (3), Fame (5), Whole (2), America (5), Newspapers (4), "A.P." (2)
Class (1), Eastern (5), Latin (1), Religion (4), Singers (3), "R" Authors (3)

Lach Trash: Somalia, baseball, bowling, Stars & Stripes, larynx, Wizards of Waverly Place, Congo River; Daily Double: Singapore

I remember reading that the Department of Energy was created during the Carter administration; I assumed that the woman in question was Janet Guthrie; finally, I figured that the nickname was "Jimmy" for James Earl. Not instant, but 1977 was the only year I had in mind due to the mention of a presidential swearing-in.
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Mon May 08, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Even if 1977 was wrong, Gail deserved to win just for naming a year we swore in a president.

Like the others on here, it was a matter of narrowing it down. I knew Guthrie's first start was in the late 1970s and that Carter created the Energy Department. I wasn't sure exactly what year those happened. (I might have guessed 1978). But the inaugural year bit was the clincher. I had it written down before the music began.

George's last DD bet was a bit odd as if he had gotten it right, he is still in second place. But in a QF game, you don't have to win the game so it isn't that bad.