Monday, May 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Monday, May 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

Near-instaget. Also year Star Wars released! Was a great year. Downhill since. 48R.
Load of trash; Somalia, lanynx, Hank Greenberg >Baseball; LtGen McMaster, INRI, Congo (!).

Yeah... 1950... looks like deer in the headlights panic. Neither an election nor inauguration year. Maybe thinking 'Harry S" but that was his given name. More panic on the DD; "Tiny island nation south of Malaysia" which by his expression on reveal he knew it, DOH! :oops:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I had just about forgotten how earth-shaking the year 1977 was. It also saw the first "Village People" album, the first episode of "Three's Company", the first daily "Shoe" strip, and I could go on.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lefty wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:53 pm I had just about forgotten how earth-shaking the year 1977 was. It also saw the first "Village People" album, the first episode of "Three's Company", the first daily "Shoe" strip, and I could go on.
If we're playing the 1977 "current" events game then Roots and Elvis dying make the list. My list would have Rollercoaster in Sensurround. For those a little older than I am then Saturday Night Fever is iconic for the year.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This was a low energy game. No one really seemed in it to win it.

Thought the material was a bit easier than regular Jeopardy! but I had no idea on Final.

LT: false flag, larynx, Janelle Monet, Mark McMaster, INRI, Congo river, DD: Singapore

Excuse me while I go attend to the stigma in my eye :shock:
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Thinking Janet Guthrie and DOE. Knew I was in the ballpark with 1975.

Final DD wager not giving himself a chance to take the lead on the finao clue was a head scratcher.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Somewhere between an instaguess and instaget on the FJ. I felt like the DOE was created during the Carter administration, and while my mind was thinking of Carter, I immediately made the jump to, "Hey, the prez they're going for has to be Jimmy Carter! No one ever referred to him as James Earl." I briefly wondered whether Gerald Ford could have been sworn in as "Jerry," but I confidently stayed with 1977 and Carter.

How in the world does "camera" get BMS'ed when the correct response is "selfie stick"? A selfie stick is an accessory. It's no more a type of camera than a tripod or external flash or memory card is.

INRI was a Learned League question recently (this past season?) but I didn't remember the letters off the top of my head and the time to buzz in for a clue on J! didn't give me enough time to derive the letters from the Latin.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Gary Gilmore was executed in 1977.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Reggie Jackson hit 3 home runs in a World Series game in 1977.
Lefty wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:53 pm 1977 . . . also saw . . . the first episode of "Three's Company",
And the first episode of "The Love Boat."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 pm
If we're playing the 1977 "current" events game then Roots and Elvis dying make the list. My list would have Rollercoaster in Sensurround. For those a little older than I am then Saturday Night Fever is iconic for the year.
Well, sure, but "first time Elvis died" is stretching things a bit thin.

As for "Three's Company" vs. "Love Boat", I did agonize over that choice for a while.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:12 pm Even if 1977 was wrong, Gail deserved to win just for naming a year we swore in a president.
Seconded.

Jeopardy historians, what's your estimate for the average wildcard-getting score? My instinct is higher than $9,000, and for that reason, it would seem like 0 or everything are the only two rational wagers.

Got Bowling Lach Trash from a Nickelodeon segment they used to show ad infinitum, then balanced it out by saying "Blimp" instead of "Hot-air balloon." (research showed that blimps have burners.)
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 3:49 pm For the FJ! clue I get that DoE and Indy woman may not be known things to peg to a year. What had me shaking my head was two guesses that were not “sworn in” years. Come on now even with lights, stage, pressure etc. that should not happen.
Ditto. There hasn't been a President sworn in on an even year since...ok, well, Ford, but before him it was -Fillmore-.
(And...wow, pocket that for later use. Only two presidents -ever- have been sworn in during an even year, despite 9 not finishing their term.)
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 7:43 pm
Vowela wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 pm Seemed like it almost had to be either 1977 or 1993. I wasn't sure of when the Department of Energy was created, or the Indy 500's first woman driver, but 1977 seemed more likely, so went with that. Surprised only one person got it, really.
I'm surprised ANYONE got it, because it's a totally trivial junction of three different knowledge bases. It's like asking "It's the year that Woodland Mall in Grand Rapids, Michigan opened, Bobby Unser won the Indy 500, and Swaziland gained independence."
And yet it looks like it'll have a good showing come Saturday. You've really got to recalibrate your expectations.

Got it about 10 seconds in. Still running a little slow due to holiday. Just glad it's a tourney so I don't feel bad still being seven games behind yet watching the current ones.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Wheatley wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:09 pm Jeopardy historians, what's your estimate for the average wildcard-getting score? My instinct is higher than $9,000, and for that reason, it would seem like 0 or everything are the only two rational wagers.
According to this old thread (that hasn't been updated in a year or so, so missing some data):

Teacher's Tournament cutoff is a little over 12,000. Overall cutoff for all post-doubling tournaments is a little under 12,000 (although the number for ToCs is significantly lower, at just over 8,000).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I went at Final Jeopardy incorrectly. I didn't know the exact years of the DoE or Indy Driver so I thought about Presidents with nicknames during a reasonable time frame. I thought about "Tricky Dick" Nixon first and guessed 1969. I remembered he started the EPA and thought sure why not the DoE too. Then I thought that didn't make sense and went to 1981 with "The Gipper" Reagan. I thought that might be right. It didn't occur to me that "Jimmy" counts as a nickname. In hindsight it is glaringly obvious that "Tricky Dick" and "The Gipper" are not appropriate for being sworn in.

I mixed up Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. I'm going to go read about them and stop missing those clues.

Can anybody fill me in on the sports hall-of-fame category? I really didn't recognize the names they threw out. Any notable memories of those athletes?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Went with 1985 for FJ. Thought maybe they threw in "Dutch" when Reagan was sworn in for the 2nd time.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote: I knew Guthrie's first start was in the late 1970s and that Carter created the Energy Department. I wasn't sure exactly what year those happened. (I might have guessed 1978). But the inaugural year bit was the clincher.
I didn't bother waisting any time with the first element of the clue because: Ditto on Janet Guthrie, and I momentarily thought it might be Gerald Ford because he was born Leslie King. It took me a few seconds to think about Jimmah Carter but I had it in plenty of time.

Got the baseball and bowling LT.

I thought I'd like the singers/actor category but it turned into a dud because they didn't go any further back than Harry Connick Jr. :x That was the only clue I was able to get. NHO any of the others.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Category 13 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 11:20 pm I thought I'd like the singers/actor category but it turned into a dud because they didn't go any further back than Harry Connick Jr. :x That was the only clue I was able to get. NHO any of the others.
FYI...http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

About 40-45 clues archived for Lady Gaga since 2009.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:55 pm
Can anybody fill me in on the sports hall-of-fame category? I really didn't recognize the names they threw out. Any notable memories of those athletes?
The five clues and previous hits:
Spoiler

$200: Jerome Bettis

Previous clues:
#5024, aired 2006-06-15 NFL BLITZ $800: (I'm Jerome Bettis.) This player on the visiting team calls heads or tails in the pregame coin toss
#4962, aired 2006-03-21 SPORTSMEN $600: In 2006 "The Bus" went into the garage as this running back played his last game in the Super Bowl
#4567, aired 2004-06-15 CELEBRITY AILMENTS $400: (I'm Jerome Bettis of the NFL.) As a sufferer from this condition, I've testified on Capitol Hill about the need to keep inhalers on the market
#4141, aired 2002-09-09 ALL ABOUT FOOTBALL $1600: (Hi. I'm Jerome Bettis, running back for the Pittsburgh Steelers.) In 1997 I became the first Steeler since this man to win the Steelers' MVP award 2 years in a row
#3800, aired 2001-02-23 ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? $200: (Hi, I'm Jerome Bettis, running back for the Pittsburgh Steelers.) Long before I played at Notre Dame, this man taught chemistry there before he became head coach in 1918

$400: Hank Greenberg

Previous clues:

#7285, aired 2016-04-22 IF I HAD A HAMMER $400: Hammerin' Hank is a nickname for both Hank Greenberg & this other Baseball Hall of Famer
#7205, aired 2016-01-01 A NEW YEAR'S BABY $1200: This Detroit Tiger, baseball's first Jewish superstar, first came to the plate Jan. 1, 1911
#3533, aired 2000-01-05 COLORFUL PEOPLE $800: Known as "Hammerin' Hank", this Hall of Famer hit 58 home runs in 1938

$600: Chris Mullin
Previous clue:
#3325, aired 1999-02-05 SPORTS $1000: In 1997-98 Shaq led the NBA in field goal percentage with 58.4 & Chris Mullin led in this percentage with 93.9

$800: Jennifer Capriati
Previous clues:
#4547, aired 2004-05-18 ENDS IN "I" $800: In 1991, when she was only 15, she became the youngest woman to reach the semifinals at Wimbledon
#2847, aired 1997-01-07 TENNIS $800: Chris Evert retired as a pro in 1989 & this 13-year-old girl trained by Chris' father turned pro in 1990
#6, aired 1990-07-21 WOMEN IN SPORTS $800: Since March, women's tennis has had a new advantage, this 14-year-old powerhouse

$1000: Dick Weber
Previous clue:
#3024, aired 1997-10-23 SPORTS $400: The Johnny Petraglia Open & the AMF Dick Weber Classic have been major tournaments in this sport
[Playing off the millennial thread] So, basically, if you like, have the Archive, like literally memorized then that's right you get all the clues. Have a good one.

Even though one name was all I needed for each clue I have no objection to such clues using two or even three names. What this kind of fast trigger category can do is save time for a QF match where it's necessary to complete the boards.

The category could have used athletes with a fresher resume or at least all still living. Dick's son, Pete, is an even better bowler (dad was great also) and still competes on both the regular and over 50 circuit. For a wide-ranging sports fan the category was a gift $3000 while for a non-sports fan accept the skunk and move on or be happy that a couple were known.

It's tough to study for when the subject is not a favorite as next time it could just as easily be five different names completely unknown with no way to guess the sport.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

The Mormon temple wasn't too impressive compared to St. Patrick's, Norte Dame or Sagrada Familia. Easy FJ. The oil shocks of the 70's led to its creation. Nuclear plants are under the NRC. I was rooting for George until he bet badly on that last DD and then he couldn't get Singapore. Tough to watch. I know it's the Teachers' Tourney and so the questions are easier than normal but as said above, a low energy game.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 11:38 pm
Category 13 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 11:20 pm I thought I'd like the singers/actor category but it turned into a dud because they didn't go any further back than Harry Connick Jr. :x That was the only clue I was able to get. NHO any of the others.
FYI...http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

About 40-45 clues archived for Lady Gaga since 2009.
So I've heard of her. A Freudian TPH slip. Her existance is so out of my universe of things that matter that I just tune out when her name comes up.
I was thinking Jerome Bettis was Super Bowl XL MVP but I'm not positive.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:02 am I was thinking Jerome Bettis was Super Bowl XL MVP but I'm not positive.
Hines Ward