Wednesday, May 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dexterG »

Didn't get FJ. SHAME on the contestants not knowing Blue Bloods, one of the best series currently on TV.
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 10:48 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 10:44 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 7:20 am A lot of Oscar-nominated films aren't even shown in most parts of the country, so outside of reading the Wikipedia page on nominations, which given how much it comes up in quizzing, is a useful thing to do, they actually expect us to know quotes from limited-release not-that-popular films? WTF?
War Horse was hardly an obscure movie. It was heavily advertised and it was directed by Steven Spielberg. I seriously doubt War Horse had a limited release.
In fact, it was shown in close to 3000 theaters, pulling in almost $80 million. Which is a pretty modest haul these days, but still respectable for something that isn't Fast & Furious 436 or something from Marvel Studios.
I seem to recall that it was considered a bit of a box-office disappointment, even if it was not really. It may have done OK, but I think the producers expected an enormous hit, and it was not one. And as this thread demonstrates, it seems to have faded from the public mind rather quickly. But certainly any Spielberg film is far game for FJ.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I don't know what everyone's heard of in real life. But if you're a Jeopardy! watcher, you've heard of War Horse.

The play version first appeared as a correct response on October 27, 2011 as the $2000 clue in THE TONY AWARD FOR BEST PLAY 2011: This, also a term for a play that gets trotted out over & over. (Triple stumper)

The film version first appeared as a correct response on February 6, 2012 to the $600 clue in RECENT MOVIES: Joey is the title equine of this drama based on a play & a children's novel. (That may also be the first mention of the book. I'm not sure.)

War Horse was the correct response on October 9, 2012 to the $1200 clue in THE TONY AWARDS: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shares the stage with a life-size puppet horse and its handler.) The extraordinary journey of Joey here through the events of 1914 & after is magnificently portrayed in this 2011 Tony Award-winning Best Play. (YOU may not have heard of War Horse but Stephanie Jass sure has.)

The film version got a mention on October 24, 2013 in the $2000 clue in OSCAR MIRE: This female producer with an alliterative name has 7 nominations from "E.T." to "War Horse" (Triple Stumper)

The film version shows up again as a correct response on January 2, 2015 in the $600 clue in & THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!: This 2011 Spielberg film is about a man named Albert & a loyal equine named Joey.

The title again shows up as a correct response on June 22, 2015. It's the $1200 clue in PLAY INTO FILM: In this play, life-sized puppets of the equine star were used; the 2011 movie used real ones to play Joey

Reference to the film occurred less than 4 months ago on January 17, 2017 as the DJ $400 clue in COMPOSERS: In the 2000s alone, 13 of his movie scores have been Oscar nominated, including "War Horse" & "The Book Thief".

You didn't need to know of the movie to get that clue (which, note, was in the easiest slot for DJ). But if you saw that game, you've at least heard of the movie.

Of the five times War Horse has been asked for, four of them received a correct response on first buzz-in. The odd one out is the first time, before the movie had come out.

So it's time to stop claiming you've never heard of this book/play/movie and start remembering that you HAVEN'T never heard of it. Many times. Hoo boy, imagine if a certain boardie claimed never to have heard of the correct response to this FJ. How we'd rub his face in the evidence! :D
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Posted in the Wild Cards thread:
Kenny wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 2:27 pm Do we really need a Teachers Tournament? There are too many tournaments already. Maybe we should have a Lawyers Tournament and Librarians Tournament too.
The show uses special programming for sweeps week. In 2017 J! is not going to have 230 games with all of them regular play. Just not going to happen. Would you prefer celebs or power players?

Consider the 15 teachers and all of the additional show interest their appearance brings in their area and school. It brings in new fans who may not have been watching otherwise. This is season 33, so the show is doing something right to still be going and to know it's staying on through 2020 as well.

The sponsorship from Farmers Insurance is doing good things for the teachers and schools for another positive aspect of this tourney.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 4:03 pm The show uses special programming for sweeps week. In 2017 J! is not going to have 230 games with all of them regular play. Just not going to happen. Would you prefer celebs or power players?
Celebs! I hate the whole concept of "power players" and how seriously those doofuses take themselves. The only good thing about that week is the schadenfreude. And I don't think the indulgence makes me a better person.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 3:23 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 10:48 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 10:44 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 7:20 am A lot of Oscar-nominated films aren't even shown in most parts of the country, so outside of reading the Wikipedia page on nominations, which given how much it comes up in quizzing, is a useful thing to do, they actually expect us to know quotes from limited-release not-that-popular films? WTF?
War Horse was hardly an obscure movie. It was heavily advertised and it was directed by Steven Spielberg. I seriously doubt War Horse had a limited release.
In fact, it was shown in close to 3000 theaters, pulling in almost $80 million. Which is a pretty modest haul these days, but still respectable for something that isn't Fast & Furious 436 or something from Marvel Studios.
I seem to recall that it was considered a bit of a box-office disappointment, even if it was not really. It may have done OK, but I think the producers expected an enormous hit, and it was not one. And as this thread demonstrates, it seems to have faded from the public mind rather quickly. But certainly any Spielberg film is far game for FJ.
I'm sure that the producers were hoping for a bigger hit - with Spielberg being attached to the project - but the subject matter (WWI) has never been a draw and it's release on Christmas Day was an odd choice. Which suggests that they were angling for Oscar nominations more than box office. And the subject matter wasn't exactly something that would get parents taking their kids, notwithstanding that it was a young adult novel. Spielberg also had The Aventures of Tintin released the same year - another one he thought would be a big hit - and it brought in about the same total in the U.S. as did War Horse. (Tintin was a bit more successful overseas).

What's probably more important in terms of general knowledge is that both had pretty big marketing budgets; so while a modest number people may have actually seen War Horse, for example, a lot more heard or saw something about it.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bni4QqSv4

The fact that it was a play and a movie made War Horse my choice. I remember the critical response to the 'puppetry' when the show was on the west end. (see link)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 4:13 pm I'm sure that the producers were hoping for a bigger hit - with Spielberg being attached to the project - but the subject matter (WWI) has never been a draw....
I wonder if Warner Brothers ignored that when they decided to move the action in the upcoming Wonder Woman movie from its WW2 roots back to the First World War.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 4:03 pm The show uses special programming for sweeps week. In 2017 J! is not going to have 230 games with all of them regular play. Just not going to happen. Would you prefer celebs or power players?
Celebs! I hate the whole concept of "power players" and how seriously those doofuses take themselves. The only good thing about that week is the schadenfreude. And I don't think the indulgence makes me a better person.
Not to mention most of those "celebs" are media people I've never heard of, because I don't watch their stupid happy-talk shows.

I'm sure this tournament is generating interest among the students at their respective schools. I just don't see the need to give teachers their own tournament. TOC, college and teen tournaments are a sufficient number. That's six tourney weeks a year.
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 3:25 pm I don't know what everyone's heard of in real life. But if you're a Jeopardy! watcher, you've heard of War Horse. ...
I have now. Henceforth, it will be my go-to response for any film/play involving a horse.
Last edited by Kenny on Thu May 11, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 pm
Schadenfreude never made anyone a better person, but that's why it feels so good!

Agree that the 'power players' concept is ludicrous. How many times have they had a Power Players tournament?
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 12:47 am I didn't realize "War Horse" was a book or stage play, but I knew it was a movie and that was enough.

Did anyone else think the clue about circuit training was sort of strange? for some reason they had "round" in quotes and that led me to believe round would be part of the answer. I see what they were trying to do, but we've been conditioned to believe something in quotes has a very specific meaning.
Yes, I was thrown by the "round" as well. I recognised the description as circuit training, but in the belief that the answer had to include "round" I discarded circuit training - I concluded that it must be a UK term and known by a different name in the US that includes "round".
davey

Post by davey »

I saw the show in NY (it was very exciting onstage) and the movie (kind of a snoozer for Spielberg), but I still didn't get this FJ. As someone else said, I was looking in vain for a metaphorical meaning, because I had forgotten that the book (which I didn't read) was narrated by the horse.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 10:03 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 12:47 am I didn't realize "War Horse" was a book or stage play, but I knew it was a movie and that was enough.

Did anyone else think the clue about circuit training was sort of strange? for some reason they had "round" in quotes and that led me to believe round would be part of the answer. I see what they were trying to do, but we've been conditioned to believe something in quotes has a very specific meaning.
Yes, I was thrown by the "round" as well. I recognised the description as circuit training, but in the belief that the answer had to include "round" I discarded circuit training - I concluded that it must be a UK term and known by a different name in the US that includes "round".
I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this. I really thought a word in quotes implied that word had to appear in the correct response. Does that only hold true for the category names and not the clues?

Here's the wording per J! Archive:
You'll move through 8-10 different exercise stations to work different muscle groups in this kind of "round" training
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 12:40 am I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this. I really thought a word in quotes implied that word had to appear in the correct response. Does that only hold true for the category names and not the clues?
Only for category names. It doesn't have to show up if it's in quotes in the clues.

Some examples:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5635
$800 Recipe Origins
Spoiler
This "colorful" salad dressing with parsley, chives & tarragon was created at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco
Spoiler
Green Goddess

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5634
$400 Spoken Word Grammy Awards
Spoiler
Garrison Keillor earned a Grammy for telling tales about the "Days" of this spot
Spoiler
Lake Wobegon

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5633
$800 Alfalfa
Spoiler
Alfalfa has symbiotic bacteria in its roots that "fix" this element in the soil, thereby replenishing it
Spoiler
Nitrogen

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5630
$800 Horsing Around
Spoiler
The height of a horse is measured in these "anatomical" units, each one equal to 4 inches
Spoiler
a hand

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5628
$800 Cake Talk
Spoiler
Some bakers use beets as a natural food coloring for this "textile" cake
Spoiler
red velvet

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5614
$1200 The Marvelous Universe
Spoiler
5 stars suggesting a water pitcher are held in the "arm" of this Zodiac constellation
Spoiler
Aquarius

Quotes are used if the word is included in the response, if it is the name of a movie/book/show/song or other work, if the clue is asking for a translation of that word, if the clue uses a quote or a phrase, to lead the contestants in a very specific direction, if the quoted word has a very strong association with the response, or for reasons I don't understand.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Most of the specifics of War Horse have been addressed, but I'd like to add this to the general action of saying "I've never heard of (insert name of well known tv show, film, stage show)". It's one thing to not be a big pop culture person, not a big watcher of movies or tv or listener of pop music, etc. But you should realize that there's a difference between not seeing every film that comes out or watching every awards show and actively avoiding information on the subject. I would say that every Best Picture nominated film is valid a Jeopardy response at least within the next 2-3 years. Certainly since they expanded the BP field from 5 to 10 there are more and more films included that will quickly fade from the memory, but there's a big difference between not being able to rattle off the 10 Best Picture nominees from 2012 and saying that you've never heard of one of them.

This same thing can be applied to a ton of trivia areas, you don't have to know a lot about everything, just having heard of things and knowing their name and maybe a rough estimation of what they are can get you a ton of answers. People who come on the messageboard and proudly claim to have never heard of a Best Picture nominated film clearly aren't even trying and prefer to profess their ignorance of topics rather than make any attempt to improve it.