Wednesday, May 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY BOOKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“I felt his spurs in my side & I heard his battle cry” is a line from this 1982 book that became a stage sensation & later a movie

David Clemmons: 10400+400=10800 (Semi-Finalist)
Stephanie Mitchell: 8800-4000=4800
Cody Vest: 10400-3600=6800

Correct response:
Spoiler
War Horse (David – The War Horse) (Stephanie – Seabiscuit) (Cody – Equus)

Daily Doubles
Stephanie: 1000+1000
David: 5200+2000
Cody: 8400-2000

Coryats
David: 9600
Stephanie: 8800
Cody: 12400

Combined: 30,800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For DD2 the correct response was “Blue Danube Waltz.” The judges would also have accepted “Blue Danube” or “On the Beautiful Blue Danube”?

The teachers were not old enough to get Blue Bloods as I’m sure I’ve read that show has an average viewer age of something in the 60s and it’s certainly not Monday morning water fountain chatter with the students.

Immortal Beloved the movie was 1994 and that hint in the clue was not enough for the Beethoven connection. It has to be tough for the writers to gauge what is fair game in 2017 and what has become stale.

In any of the non-TOC tourneys or special weeks I have a goal of perfection on the FJ! clues. It rarely happens, but it’s something to aim for by the end.

[Poof!] Done on day 3. In 30 seconds I only managed to do “spurs” to horse and write “Eqqus”, so wrong response and spelling. I paused the clue before Alex went to Stephanie and in less than 10 seconds I connected “battle” = war to figure out what it had to be.

If a clue offers up book, stage and movie my instinct is to work the movie angle. With 1982 in the wording I did not realize how far forward I needed to go for that path. I was fairly sure the Shaffer work was a play first, but my mind was not able to block out and dismiss the distractor.

10400 to 8800 to 10400 is no fun for anyone to figure out wagering in a QF game with a wide open FJ! round category. David seemed to go for 10K even on a miss. Stephanie went for the “magic” 4K wager on the nose and Cody attempted to get to 14K on a hit.

The sole solve by David gets him to the semis, so all is fair in horse and war.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spoiler
Scopes and Darrow yesterday
, "Equus" might be one of those where we need an "I considered that incorrect response before getting the right one" box on the poll, another one I'll check. But the "battle cry" made me think of "War Horse" at around second 27, scribbled quickly (also had "Man O War" for some reason on my list, so made it a bit easier to borrow a word) hopefully legibly enough if I was on stage.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Stonewall = Nixon? Bwuh?

I've heard of Pygmalion, but have no idea what it is.

Ran Types of Streets.

Gym equipment? Yeah, this pasty muscle-less dork (not much of an exaggeration; I really do have hypotonia) is going 0/5 there.

"Rhymes with Duck" made me giggle because I knew a Sean Connery-approved answer that would NOT be showing up.

I knew it, but I thought Grieg was a tough start for the Composers category. I recognized the piece at $1,600 but could not place the composer.

Although I'm a nearly lifelong piano player, I couldn't get crescendo because it looked too small for one. I'm used to them spanning several measures. I was trying to say "sforzando" but couldn't pull the name.

Grub or vittles = chuck? Dafuq? Can we poll that?

Lach Trash: swiss army knife

I didn't recognize the correct response or either of the wrong responses.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I was kind of surprised that "The War Horse" was accepted. "The" is not part of the title of any of the three versions of it (according to Wikipedia).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Cody was visibly frustrated by the buzzer but really came alive in that Dorothy category. Another singularity of the Teachers Tournament - applause for 4/5 correct responses in the same category. Way to go-go, Cody!

5/5 Composers - yeah, these boards are definitely easier than regular J!

LT: trampoline, circuit training, Wagner, Beethoven, Azores, bleach, Micronesia. There's gotta be a fun sentence in there.

Went with dumb luck for beginner's luck, leukocytes for monocytes, Mekong for Yangtze - ouch.

Instaget: War Horse. Equus is a totally different story, but hey, both are about horses so it's a toss-up, but only if Alex says so. Seabiscuit? nah.

J! loves Archer. I guess I should watch an episode or two so I don't miss another clue.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Is The War Horse really that well known? total NHOI. I guessed Dances with Wolves :roll:
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I didn't even pick up that it had anything to do with horses. I was looking at the line as more metaphorical than literal. Best I could do was pick a book that was a play and a movie that might've been released around 1982. Turns out my guess, The Color Purple, was the right year, so yay for getting that right, at least.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Those FJ bets were awful. In the men's case, if you're going to wager anything, you have to go at least $7201 to beat out Stephanie for the potential wildcard spot. At least David allowed for a 10,000 minimum wildcard score, but if he was thinking in venusian terms he should have just wagered zero. Maybe he was partially expecting a generic 2000 wager from Stephanie but that would still get him into a tie breaker situation if Cody won a triple get.

TPH wrote:Lach Trash: swiss army knife
Nice job, although that was not LT.
I got that and 'Chuck' for my only LT.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh5usbtyFck

War Horse, yeah! Clip clip cloppity cloo! I thought the movie was ham-handed (even for Spielberg), but dammit, this Conan bit is still in my head five years later.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

FJ led me to a horse related item (spurs). Never knew of the book, but knew the play was big a few years ago, and it spawned a movie. I had nothing better, so I stayed with it.

Equus never entered my mind, probably because I knew it predated when this book was written.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

War Horse doesn't sound familiar as either a play or a movie, so Sea Biscuit was all I could come up with.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Foretopman wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 8:20 pm I was kind of surprised that "The War Horse" was accepted. "The" is not part of the title of any of the three versions of it (according to Wikipedia).
Initial articles are ignored unless there's a (wrong) published work with that exact title. Old old rule. Veterans here won't be surprised.
E.g., "Angels and Demons" and "The Angels and Demons" are the same work as far as J! is concerned.
The classic exception is "Invisible Man" (Ellison) and "The Invisible Man" (Wells)
econgator wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:16 pm War Horse doesn't sound familiar as either a play or a movie, so Sea Biscuit was all I could come up with.
it only won a Tony for Best Drama and was a Best Picture nominated Spielberg film.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got War Horse with a bit of guessing. I thought of Sea Biscuit and War Horse as horse movies and didn't consider Equus. I haven't seen any of those three movies.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:54 pm For DD2 the correct response was “Blue Danube Waltz.” The judges would also have accepted “Blue Danube” or “On the Beautiful Blue Danube”?
I think they would have accepted "Blue Danube." They've used it in a clue before and accepted it as a response before.

Vienna Calling $800: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4464
Classical Music $100: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4963
Composers $400: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5018

Its Wikipedia page lists it simply as "The Blue Danube" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Danube

"On the Beautiful Blue Danube" would probably work too. There are some hits for that and it seems to be closer to the German translation.

I missed monocytes and guessed lymphocytes. It wasn't a horrible guess in hindsight except for being wrong. Now I know 2 types of white blood cells. Maybe eventually I'll get up to 5.

I sort of guessed the Canary Islands before back-tracking to the Azores. Iberian Peninsula plus archipelago North-West of Africa = Canary Islands. Wait no, Azores.

The Azores look beautiful and I look at pictures every time it comes up on Jeopardy!. (Spoiler because pictures will take up a lot of space):
Spoiler

morbeedo wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 8:37 pm LT: ...Beethoven...
Did you get this from the movie or was there another way of figuring it out? I hadn't heard of the movie and guessed Chopin because his relationship with George Sand comes up a lot.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Hmmm... I have ZERO idea how I got this one, dumb luck, I suppose...

I gathered from the book quote (spurs, all that) that a horse may have been the narrator (strange, is this true??), and tried to think of any war-type movie where that might have been the case. Humm, click, whirr, thud, rattle...

Equus never occurred to me, but if it had I would have rejected it. I remembered shelving the book fairly often when I worked in the county library in the 70's, so it couldn't have originated as a play in '82. As it turns out, that was wrong. It was a play and apparently never a book...

I *had* heard of something called War Horse as a movie though... An animated movie from some 10-15 years ago. Turns out I musta have that wrong, too... No animated film named War Horse ever existed, at least not that I can find... What the hell was I thinking of? No idea, but as the music rolled along, that's what I went with as a total last-second WAG for my response. Good as gold; go fig. :)

Maybe I should go buy some lottery tix. :)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:14 pm FJ led me to a horse related item (spurs). Never knew of the book, but knew the play was big a few years ago, and it spawned a movie. I had nothing better, so I stayed with it.

Equus never entered my mind, probably because I knew it predated when this book was written.
This. I'll add that "battle cry" in the clue also helped lead me to War Horse, so I had a fair amount of confidence in my response. As for Seabiscuit, the book didn't come out until much later than 1982 (2001, it turns out), so it never would have occurred to me.

I got the Beethoven "Immortal Beloved" clue, probably solely from remembering the name of that relatively obscure 1994 film (which I've never seen)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed May 10, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:36 pm it only won a Tony for Best Drama and was a Best Picture nominated Spielberg film.
I pay very little attention to any of the awards.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Literary (5), Saving (4), Prez (4), Gym (1), Street (3), TV (5)
Archipelago (4), Signs (1), Composers (2), Duck (0), Science (2), Dorothy (3)

Lach Trash: Blue Bloods, Richard Wagner, Azores, Micronesia, bleach

I had no idea for FJ.