Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by StevenH »

I had a 6(4)-6(4) tie yesterday. I can't believe how tough The Jazz Singer played. I really could have used that win, as I'm barely sitting above relegation to E with 2 days remaining.
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

I Kosman Koined between Wings and The Jazz Singer, not because I've seen either but because those are the only two films from around then that I know.

I also somehow switched Lenore to Elsinore - thanks Hamlet!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Argh. 1 point away from relegation despite one of my best seasons ever. A six pack yesterday was only good enough for a tie with patkav. I'll try to stick around, but I'm not confident.

Thorsten has really been righting historical wrongs in asking about significant women recently. Some easy points if you study woman artists, scientists, politicians. I salute this effort, but I wish I was one of the people to do this studying.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Clue I entered into the J-Archive just 3 days ago:

Would not have known otherwise. Helped me to my first 6-pack this season.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I salvaged some pride by getting a 9(6)-9(6) tie against the player in first place in my rundle.

However, it's now guaranteed that I'll be relegated to B next season.

Still, seven seasons in A is pretty good. Another player who recently got relegated to B after seven straight seasons in A is Colby Burnett, so I'm in good company.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I only went to Gozo once out of the five or six times I went to Malta (and never made it to Comino; there was no reason to go there). I was supposed to go on a particular day, but the sea was too rough and they cancelled the ferry. So they scheduled me to take the helicopter over the next day. Of course, the sea was calm that day, but they'd already bought me the ticket for the helicopter. Which turned out to be some sort of old, Soviet military transport type of helicopter. I think there was maybe one other passenger on it. I was not particularly confident in its safety. But it did get me there.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I overthought myself out of a beer initially by not being sure if dysentery (the obvious answer) was an infectious disease, so I went with cholera. That's a tough question fairness-wise where there's an obvious, fun answer but way too many possible ones because of the wording. I thought I might have been able to challenge cholera as correct, but I wouldn't have fussed over it and am happy to have gotten the win.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

My opponent actually gave me two points for the "Please Mr. Postman" question. :shock: Three points for "The Jazz Singer". Thanks for the win.

Last fall, I was in an interactive Edgar Allan Poe production in which one of the characters was dressed to look like the person in the "Son of Man" painting, complete with apple. That was the only reason I knew the answer to that question. Then, the next day we get a question about "The Raven" and Lenore (we had someone play her too). :D
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

Coin flip between Malta and Cyprus came up wrong, and I lost to a fellow relegation-fighter 9(6) - 6(5). One point out of relegation with two points to go is not where I wanted to be, so hoping for a strong (or lucky) last couple days.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

georgespelvin wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:53 am Last fall, I was in an interactive Edgar Allan Poe production in which one of the characters was dressed to look like the person in the "Son of Man" painting, complete with apple. That was the only reason I knew the answer to that question. Then, the next day we get a question about "The Raven" and Lenore (we had someone play her too). :D
what r da odds??! :)
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I just said the same thing you said in a Facebook post.

Again, what are the odds?
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

georgespelvin wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:29 am I just said the same thing you said in a Facebook post.

Again, what are the odds?
mind. blown.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

It is boardies, boardies everywhere for me these days. boson yesterday, and alietr and the other Kingston Killer today.

(Strong work yesterday, boson!)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

OSXpert wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 am I Kosman Koined between Wings and The Jazz Singer, not because I've seen either but because those are the only two films from around then that I know.
Unfortunately, that's a RTFQ error. The question said "Jack Robin, formerly Jakie Rabinowitz, was the title character of what popular 1927 film?"
Sprinkles are for winners.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

patkav wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pm It is boardies, boardies everywhere for me these days. boson yesterday, and alietr and the other Kingston Killer today.

For me, it's J! champs everywhere: Katie Proctor yesterday, Chris Fleitas today, and we're all looking up at Jason Sterlacci in the standings.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

skullturf wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:52 amHowever, it's now guaranteed that I'll be relegated to B next season.

Still, seven seasons in A is pretty good. Another player who recently got relegated to B after seven straight seasons in A is Colby Burnett, so I'm in good company.
Trust me when I say you can come back from being relegated. It might take more than a season, but it can happen. After seven seasons in A (LL52-58), I once dropped from A to C and then bounced back to A (with stops in B each way) in the next six seasons.
Woof wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 pm
patkav wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pmIt is boardies, boardies everywhere for me these days. boson yesterday, and alietr and the other Kingston Killer today.

For me, it's J! champs everywhere: Katie Proctor yesterday, Chris Fleitas today, and we're all looking up at Jason Sterlacci in the standings.
I play SterlacciJ on MD25 after playing slam today. Jason and Chris are 1-2 in A Continental as of today, with six others (including Woof and me, but somehow not the always-formidable bomtr) within three points of first place. Here's hoping this crowded horse race ends in a photo finish. Mark, please feel free to bump off FleitasC today.

Best of luck to all!
In and out of the pool four times
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

reddpen wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:03 pm
skullturf wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:52 amHowever, it's now guaranteed that I'll be relegated to B next season.

Trust me when I say you can come back from being relegated. It might take more than a season, but it can happen. After seven seasons in A (LL52-58), I once dropped from A to C and then bounced back to A (with stops in B each way) in the next six seasons.
Woof wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 pm
patkav wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pmIt is boardies, boardies everywhere for me these days. boson yesterday, and alietr and the other Kingston Killer today.

I play SterlacciJ on MD25 after playing slam today. Jason and Chris are 1-2 in A Continental as of today, with six others (including Woof and me, but somehow not the always-formidable bomtr) within three points of first place. Here's hoping this crowded horse race ends in a photo finish. Mark, please feel free to bump off FleitasC today.

Best of luck to all!
I just figured out who you are. It's interesting how we sometimes know people's screen names in one venue, their real names in another venue, but among the jumble of names in the trivia world, we're sometimes unaware that a certain screen name belongs to the same person as a certain real name.

Are you going to TCONA this August?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:01 pm
OSXpert wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 am I Kosman Koined between Wings and The Jazz Singer, not because I've seen either but because those are the only two films from around then that I know.
Unfortunately, that's a RTFQ error. The question said "Jack Robin, formerly Jakie Rabinowitz, was the title character of what popular 1927 film?"
Maybe OSXpert thought "Wings" was about a guy named Wings McGee or something. :)
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

patkav wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pm It is boardies, boardies everywhere for me these days. boson yesterday, and alietr and the other Kingston Killer today.

Good game today! (I am currently under the weather, so I am hoping my points assignments were rational. No one has been actually killed by me or boson this season, with the exception of several dozen mosquitos.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My match this Friday (today) was against JenningsK. So, just my luck, a day after going 6 for 6, I only get three right.

Well, the results are up, and he got the same three. I defended him perfectly; his defense was one point imperfect.