Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by alietr »

REMINDER: NO DISCUSSION OF THE CURRENT DAY'S QUESTIONS! NONE WHATSOEVER!
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

alietr wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:05 am REMINDER: NO DISCUSSION OF THE CURRENT DAY'S QUESTIONS! NONE WHATSOEVER!
This includes seemingly harmless comments like,"Today's questions were hard," or "Today's questions were easy."

If you must talk about questions while they are still active, speak privately with someone who has already submitted today.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Website keeps timing out on me.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

silverscreentest wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:00 am
alietr wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:05 am REMINDER: NO DISCUSSION OF THE CURRENT DAY'S QUESTIONS! NONE WHATSOEVER!
This includes seemingly harmless comments like,"Today's questions were hard," or "Today's questions were easy."

If you must talk about questions while they are still active, speak privately with someone who has already submitted today.
You're not even allowed to think about the current day's questions while you're online with JBoard.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

RandyG wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 12:55 pm

You're not even allowed to think about the current day's questions while you're online with JBoard.
I never think about the day's questions ever. And it shows. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

cmp146 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am Midland
B Midland: badgerfellow

Morningstar
A Morningstar: kickerofelves, Qball, TomKBaltimoreBoy
R Midland: Troydozzy
Not that it really matters, but I'm listed in Morningstar above, rather than Midland.

Serious question though...how long does it take to 'grade' all of the responses and post the results?
Last edited by Troydozzy on Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Troydozzy wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 1:46 pm
cmp146 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am Midland
B Midland: badgerfellow

Morningstar
A Morningstar: kickerofelves, Qball, TomKBaltimoreBoy
R Midland: Troydozzy
Not that it really matters, but I'm listed in Morning star above, rather than Midland.

Serious question though...how long does it take to 'grade' all of the responses and post the results?
Typically the results and the next day's Qs will be available about an hour after the submission deadline. On Friday, it can be as long as 2 hours. I assume since he doesn't have to worry about getting the next day up in a timely fashion, he takes his time on Friday.

There are more people this season than the last, of course, so it may take longer this time around.

-M
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:54 am I get to play an Egghead, a Chaser, a ToC Champion, and one of the four people worldwide who didn't use a lifeline on the first 14 questions of Millionaire.
Everyone who hasn't been on Millionaire didn't either.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

cmp146 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am Woo hoo! LL73 is almost here! (A little sad sigh for the lack of Rundle in the Jundle play this time around. I totally missed that we were so close to a new season too! Life has been busy.)
Here is the new list of J!Boardie players in their LL rundles. PM me if you would like to be unlisted, or if you would like to declare your rundle. I dropped the list of unknowns and not-playing players. Let me know if you spot mistakes, too!

Continental
B Continental: BulgarianBeast, morbeedo
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:54 am I get to play an Egghead, a Chaser, a ToC Champion, and one of the four people worldwide who didn't use a lifeline on the first 14 questions of Millionaire.
Care to tell us who each of these players are? I must be blind as I'm not seeing anyone who I recognize as a TOC Champ in your Rundle.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon May 15, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

mcsheffrey wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:45 am I was all set to take on a few friends in Frontier C and then I checked this morning and found myself in Frontier B. I had missed promotion by one spot so I guess somebody must have dropped out.

Does anybody know how common this is?
It's super common! At least with me, since I've never actually finished in the promotion zone, but I have been promoted after each season. Although last season, every time I scored 9(6), so did my opponent. If one of those had been a win and not a tie, I would have been promoted automatically.

I'm in Tidewater A for the list.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Stoked for a new season! Good luck everyone. Glad to see the usual suspects (minus OntarioQuizzer- good luck in the new rundle) in AMag. We lost our TOC champs from the rundle when DupeeM has taken a LL hiatus and BurnettC got relegated last season. I like the idea of competing against the best of the best, but perhaps not the actual losses I suffer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Tigershark wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:29 pm
mcsheffrey wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:45 am I was all set to take on a few friends in Frontier C and then I checked this morning and found myself in Frontier B. I had missed promotion by one spot so I guess somebody must have dropped out.

Does anybody know how common this is?
It's super common! At least with me, since I've never actually finished in the promotion zone, but I have been promoted after each season. Although last season, every time I scored 9(6), so did my opponent. If one of those had been a win and not a tie, I would have been promoted automatically.

I'm in Tidewater A for the list.
At least if you're in A your streak of being promoted at the end of the season will end as there's now nowhere to promote to!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Nevertheless, I think it is safe to say today's questions were, without a doubt, questions.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Well, I'm off and running in LL73 and got my hat handed to me on MD1, in a 0(1)-7(5) loss; I have lost on MD1 in all six of my LL seasons. Thank goodness for Heidi or I would have missed all six questions. My opponent correctly awarded me 0 points for Heidi, as TV is my strongest category.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I'm first in my rundle after MD1.

Never thought that would ever happen.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I got my first career 0(0) on day one but I skillfully turned it into a W0(0)0(0)F. Showing up is half the battle.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

OSXpert wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 7:19 am I got my first career 0(0) on day one but I skillfully turned it into a W0(0)0(0)F. Showing up is half the battle.
Much as I would cherish a W(0)0(0)F, I'm happy to report that I've never had one. :mrgreen: I was kicking myself about hitting the submit when I saw that my Koin had turned up niacin for the folate question. Fortunately, my high Science Q% kept my opponent from giving me more than 1 on it (note to self: must figure out a way to pin the names of the B vitamins, all the more galling since my wife's PhD dissertation was on B6)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

[humblebrag=]
This is my eighth season.
I have still never lost on Opening Day.
[/humblebrag off]
But I have tied twice.
Hoping for a third lap
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I lost 8(4)-6(4). My opponent was part of the 56% that could not name Heidi (0 points) or 68% that did not know Ilium = Troy (1 point) while knowing everything else.

It's a new season and I still can't spell as I got credit for pizzicado. My first try was worse when I went crossword-ese and had arco.