Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Woof wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:46 pm
And I had a RTFQ moment when I somehow read Galapagos for Rapa Nui and confidently answered Ecuador :roll:
Quito was the MCWA on that question. I figured that a bunch of LLamas must have confused Easter Island with the Galapagos, since the ESE direction from Isla de Pascua doesn't take you anywhere near Ecuador.

For a few years in the early part of this decade, the former LAN airlines (now LATAM) also ran direct flights to Easter Island from Lima. I'm not sure why they discontinued that and reverted to only flying there from Santiago and Papeete.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other
Posts: 728
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by bomtr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:24 pm

boson wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:01 pm
Got my first ever (?) 0(0) score on the Golden age of television first day. I may have had some other minileagues oh-fers, but haven't yet got one in the main course.

I'm hoping to learn something, to have this be a positive experience, but I'll settle for it being over quickly if that doesn't work.
I'm pretty happy about having the sense to skip that one.

User avatar
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 pm
Location: Germantown, MD

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by jfrumkin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:59 pm

boson wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:01 pm
Got my first ever (?) 0(0) score on the Golden age of television first day. I may have had some other minileagues oh-fers, but haven't yet got one in the main course.

I'm hoping to learn something, to have this be a positive experience, but I'll settle for it being over quickly if that doesn't work.
I've heard the same sentiment from others. It's a total wheelhouse ML for me, up there with the recent '80s music one. I'm loving it so far, but it is way in the weeds.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

User avatar
dinghammer
No Relation
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by dinghammer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Misfits is an excellent show, at least for the first 3 seasons. It's where I first saw Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Bolton on Game of Thrones) and Joseph Gilgun (Cassidy on Preacher).

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6926
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by econgator » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:39 pm

bomtr wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:24 pm
boson wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:01 pm
Got my first ever (?) 0(0) score on the Golden age of television first day. I may have had some other minileagues oh-fers, but haven't yet got one in the main course.

I'm hoping to learn something, to have this be a positive experience, but I'll settle for it being over quickly if that doesn't work.
I'm pretty happy about having the sense to skip that one.
I skip them all (I look over the questions later, but no point in entering any of them).

On the plus side, it's nice not having to see my MD25 L all off-season. :)

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by trainman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:41 pm

Woof wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:46 pm
They gave me a 2 on the train jingle, which makes sense unless you know how much time I've spent on SNCF platforms.
I was given a 3 on the train jingle question, and this is my LL flag:
Image

User avatar
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by CrunchyTaco » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:28 am

Count me among the 49% who put "Tombstone" for the question about Dodge.

Wpwells
Valued Contributor
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by Wpwells » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:01 am

I'm 2-0-0 on the Golden Age of Television ML with 2 TCA so far....

classicroadster
Contributor
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by classicroadster » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:27 pm

How does one get into Learned League? Looks like a referral system of some sort?

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6926
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by econgator » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:15 pm

classicroadster wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:27 pm
How does one get into Learned League? Looks like a referral system of some sort?
Correct. You must be referred by a current member.

1stlvlthinker
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm getting absolutely crushed with these MLs. When I open up the questions, I might know 1 off the top of my head. I'm able to guess at a few, but have no clue how to play defense. It's only after I see the answers that I realize how "easy" some of the questions I missed actually are.

TV is the worst for me. Trying for a bunch of lucky Johnsons.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by reddpen » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 pm

bomtr wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:24 pm
boson wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:01 pm
Got my first ever (?) 0(0) score on the Golden age of television first day. I may have had some other minileagues oh-fers, but haven't yet got one in the main course.

I'm hoping to learn something, to have this be a positive experience, but I'll settle for it being over quickly if that doesn't work.
I'm pretty happy about having the sense to skip that one.
After two MDs I have zero TMP and one TCA, three fewer than anyone else in group 108 (hi OSC!), so I probably should have skipped NGATV too--turns out I don't watch nearly as much TV as I thought, though I do like using initials. But so far at least I'm holding my own in Travel and the American West.

Defense in MLs is much more of a crapshoot than in the regular season, I've always found. Tighter range of material, different writing styles, unfamiliar opponents...

1stlvlthinker
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:59 am

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:49 pm
I'm getting absolutely crushed with these MLs. When I open up the questions, I might know 1 off the top of my head. I'm able to guess at a few, but have no clue how to play defense. It's only after I see the answers that I realize how "easy" some of the questions I missed actually are.

TV is the worst for me. Trying for a bunch of lucky Johnsons.
Yeah, this whole TV thing is going to be terrible. I might literally get only 2 right all Mini League. The only reason I haven't quit is because forfeitting sucks.

Faring slightly better on the others, at least not getting totally shut out.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:01 am

Who played Nate Fisher in Six Feet Under? O, how I struggled with this one! I got to Peter right away and gave my brain the rest of the day to come up with his last name but couldn't get all the other TV Peters outa my head: Scolari, Gallagher, Dinklage... I came up with the full names of all the other cast members of Six Feet Under but never got to Peter Krause. Alack!

Wpwells
Valued Contributor
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by Wpwells » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:00 am

Yep the Television ML is going to suck, but when you're playing for the Completist Cup you suffer through it.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:54 am

In Travel 2, I'm a bit embarrassed at having missed the Ulaanbaatar question, given that I was just in that city earlier this month. :oops: In my defense, when I was looking for things to do there, the fine arts museum for whatever reason didn't attract my attention (and I probably wouldn't have visited it even if it had, since I tend to visit landmarks that provide good photo opportunities). Also, I was so used to all the writings I saw in that city being in the Cyrillic alphabet. Finally, it might have helped me on that question if I had familiarized myself with the Mongolian flag in connection with my travel to that country; that could have helped me recognize a pattern on one of the objects in the image that accompanied the ML question.

User avatar
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 pm
Location: Germantown, MD

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by jfrumkin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:23 pm

A lot of people are complaining about the TV ML. My gut is that "New Golden Age" wasn't explained well enough so people thought it was about TV in general and since they watch TV they figure it will be mostly gettable? I sort of inherently got where it would go, but it's kind of a wheelhouse thing for me with 15 TCA through 3 MDs, which is why I'm not getting why people are up in arms. I didn't play the Classical Music ML because I'm not good at that and knew I wouldn't know enough details, even though I've listened to classical music in the past, so I sort of (probably erroneously) equate this and that.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by triviawayne » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:40 pm

jfrumkin wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:23 pm
A lot of people are complaining about the TV ML. My gut is that "New Golden Age" wasn't explained well enough so people thought it was about TV in general and since they watch TV they figure it will be mostly gettable? I sort of inherently got where it would go, but it's kind of a wheelhouse thing for me with 15 TCA through 3 MDs, which is why I'm not getting why people are up in arms. I didn't play the Classical Music ML because I'm not good at that and knew I wouldn't know enough details, even though I've listened to classical music in the past, so I sort of (probably erroneously) equate this and that.
I think many ML & 1DS are written very narrow to the niche of those that are fanatics. The Peanuts and Indy 500 are recent ones that come to mind--you may like those things, but not enough to even get half of the answers unless you are a true follower of the subject. But that's just this generalist D-rundler's perspective.

thoughts? :?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 pm
Location: Germantown, MD

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by jfrumkin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:58 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:40 pm
I think many ML & 1DS are written very narrow to the niche of those that are fanatics. The Peanuts and Indy 500 are recent ones that come to mind--you may like those things, but not enough to even get half of the answers unless you are a true follower of the subject. But that's just this generalist D-rundler's perspective.

thoughts? :?
I think that's 100% true. I think people assumed (and it wasn't specified otherwise) that this one would be general TV and so the level of detail has been shock and awe, I just don't know that assumption is for sure the case.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4108
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:23 pm

jfrumkin wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:58 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:40 pm
I think many ML & 1DS are written very narrow to the niche of those that are fanatics. The Peanuts and Indy 500 are recent ones that come to mind--you may like those things, but not enough to even get half of the answers unless you are a true follower of the subject. But that's just this generalist D-rundler's perspective.

thoughts? :?
I think that's 100% true. I think people assumed (and it wasn't specified otherwise) that this one would be general TV and so the level of detail has been shock and awe, I just don't know that assumption is for sure the case.
She gave a very detailed explanation of what this was going to be, and nowhere in it did she say "the vast majority of questions will be about shows with varying degrees of cult followings, most will be critically acclaimed and very few will be highly watched." That would've been a pretty reasonable warning to a lot of people that this was going to be painful.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], RichmondJ, Yahoo [Bot] and 20 guests