Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

SBurrus wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 am Thank goodness for Heidi or I would have missed all six questions. My opponent correctly awarded me 0 points for Heidi, as TV is my strongest category.
I really expected this one to be the easiest question of the day and I gave it my zero point defense. My opponent got all six correct, so it didn't matter though.

Maybe this is one of the trivia nuggets that's starting to show its age?
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

SBurrus wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 am My opponent correctly awarded me 0 points for Heidi, as TV is my strongest category.
Interesting. To me, that was entirely a football question and I never even looked at my opponents TV percentage when I was picking my defense. Not that it really mattered, my opponent got it right along with everything but folic acid to beat me 8(5) - 5(4).

Today's opponent topped me in C rundle last season despite getting 20 fewer correct answers. I'm really hoping his luck has finally run out.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

SBurrus wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 am My opponent correctly awarded me 0 points for Heidi, as TV is my strongest category.
Calling that a Television question is kinda like calling this a Television question.

In this television screen image, Walter Cronkite has just announced what earthshaking event on a CBS News Special Report?

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 11:24 am
Calling that a Television question is kinda like calling this a Television question.

In this television screen image, Walter Cronkite has just announced what earthshaking event on a CBS News Special Report?

I like that question, Randy. With no certainty, I'd say it was
Spoiler
the assassination of JFK
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

So after playing 1.000 DE through 12 or 13 MDs last season, I of course gave up a 5(2) in my first day, but thankfully still managed to eke out a win. I'm surprised Ilium played so hard, especially given the poetic hint in the question.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 11:26 am
RandyG wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 11:24 am

I like that question, Randy. With no certainty, I'd say it was
Spoiler
the assassination of JFK
We'll give you credit for that. To be more specific....
Spoiler
... he had just announced that Kennedy had died. This was about 50 minutes into the special report that JFK had been shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpVlyNM9l-c

Related note: 5/29/2017 would be his 100th birthday.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

jfrumkin wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 am So after playing 1.000 DE through 12 or 13 MDs last season, I of course gave up a 5(2) in my first day, but thankfully still managed to eke out a win. I'm surprised Ilium played so hard, especially given the poetic hint in the question.
Well, I got it wrong - classics is not my strong suit - but I knew the answer would be a word derived from The Iliad or the Aeneid. I went with the latter because the clue specified Latin, and the Iliad was written in Greek, right? I put Aeneas. MCWA was Helena - go figure.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

morbeedo wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 12:32 pm
jfrumkin wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 am So after playing 1.000 DE through 12 or 13 MDs last season, I of course gave up a 5(2) in my first day, but thankfully still managed to eke out a win. I'm surprised Ilium played so hard, especially given the poetic hint in the question.
Well, I got it wrong - classics is not my strong suit - but I knew the answer would be a word derived from The Iliad or the Aeneid. I went with the latter because the clue specified Latin, and the Iliad was written in Greek, right? I put Aeneas. MCWA was Helena - go figure.
Is there something with Helena that makes it a MCWA? I just figured it was people going for a BWA, you know, "Helena Troy"
Now swimming in the J! pool.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

And I open the season with a double doughnut. I'm just hoping that things turn out okay, like they did the last time I did that!
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

That's true. I knew the Aeneid was about a person named Aeneas, so discounted that, but it's a very solid guess for that reasoning. Helena, people were probably just going with as educated a WAG as they could.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 5:20 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:54 am I get to play an Egghead, a Chaser, a ToC Champion, and one of the four people worldwide who didn't use a lifeline on the first 14 questions of Millionaire.
Care to tell us who each of these players are? I must be blind as I'm not seeing anyone who I recognize as a TOC Champ in your Rundle.
Is WhitlockS the ToC champion?
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

+1 for also thinking Ilium would have been Greek. Alas, the Greek version of Ilium is "Ilion" (originally linked in LL forums): http://latinlexicon.org/definition.php?p1=2026595

As such, it cost me the tie.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

ElendilPickle wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:12 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:54 am I get to play an Egghead, a Chaser, a ToC Champion, and one of the four people worldwide who didn't use a lifeline on the first 14 questions of Millionaire.
Care to tell us who each of these players are? I must be blind as I'm not seeing anyone who I recognize as a TOC Champ in your Rundle.
Is WhitlockS the ToC champion?
I was wondering if it was a Dan Avila for Dan Melia mix-up?
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Woof wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 9:09 am
OSXpert wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 7:19 am I got my first career 0(0) on day one but I skillfully turned it into a W0(0)0(0)F. Showing up is half the battle.
Much as I would cherish a W(0)0(0)F, I'm happy to report that I've never had one. :mrgreen:
You'd have to change your username to W000F.

Good luck everyone on the new season! After eking my way into B my rookie season last time, I have only two goals: don't get relegated, and increase my TCA. I'll ambitiously set a goal of increasing by 5 TCA each season, or 20 per year. That puts me targeting 88 this season.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

For some reason I looked at the list and thought a) JJ Todor was still in my rundle and didn't get relegated last season, b) JJ Todor was a TOC Champion, and c) Shane Whitlock was a TOC Champion. I was wrong on all three of those. As for the others, RyanJ2 is the Chaser, WebsterB is the Egghead, and GoodmanDL didn't use a lifeline on the first 14 questions he answered on Millionaire. The phone-a-friend who also didn't know the answer to the million dollar question is also in our rundle.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've got my wife to thank for getting a six-pack on MD2. There's no way I'd ever know what raffia is without her!
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 am I've got my wife to thank for getting a six-pack on MD2. There's no way I'd ever know what raffia is without her!
I thought that Raffia was a singer of children's songs :mrgreen:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 am I've got my wife to thank for getting a six-pack on MD2. There's no way I'd ever know what raffia is without her!
I thought that Raffia was a singer of children's songs :mrgreen:
I thought he was a Spanish tennis star!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

0-2 so far this season. :roll:
Woof

Post by Woof »

ElendilPickle wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:36 pm 0-2 so far this season. :roll:
It's a topsy-turvy world, innit? Last season I started off 0-4-1 or something like that; this season, I'm 2-0-0 and yet my TCA is no different. And IIRC, you were close to the top of the standings for most of LL72.. Crazy!