Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by hbomb1947 »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:46 pm And I had a RTFQ moment when I somehow read Galapagos for Rapa Nui and confidently answered Ecuador :roll:
Quito was the MCWA on that question. I figured that a bunch of LLamas must have confused Easter Island with the Galapagos, since the ESE direction from Isla de Pascua doesn't take you anywhere near Ecuador.

For a few years in the early part of this decade, the former LAN airlines (now LATAM) also ran direct flights to Easter Island from Lima. I'm not sure why they discontinued that and reverted to only flying there from Santiago and Papeete.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

boson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:01 pm Got my first ever (?) 0(0) score on the Golden age of television first day. I may have had some other minileagues oh-fers, but haven't yet got one in the main course.

I'm hoping to learn something, to have this be a positive experience, but I'll settle for it being over quickly if that doesn't work.
I'm pretty happy about having the sense to skip that one.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

boson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:01 pm Got my first ever (?) 0(0) score on the Golden age of television first day. I may have had some other minileagues oh-fers, but haven't yet got one in the main course.

I'm hoping to learn something, to have this be a positive experience, but I'll settle for it being over quickly if that doesn't work.
I've heard the same sentiment from others. It's a total wheelhouse ML for me, up there with the recent '80s music one. I'm loving it so far, but it is way in the weeds.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Misfits is an excellent show, at least for the first 3 seasons. It's where I first saw Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Bolton on Game of Thrones) and Joseph Gilgun (Cassidy on Preacher).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bomtr wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:24 pm

I skip them all (I look over the questions later, but no point in entering any of them).

On the plus side, it's nice not having to see my MD25 L all off-season. :)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:46 pmThey gave me a 2 on the train jingle, which makes sense unless you know how much time I've spent on SNCF platforms.
I was given a 3 on the train jingle question, and this is my LL flag:
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Count me among the 49% who put "Tombstone" for the question about Dodge.
Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wpwells »

I'm 2-0-0 on the Golden Age of Television ML with 2 TCA so far....
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

How does one get into Learned League? Looks like a referral system of some sort?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:27 pm How does one get into Learned League? Looks like a referral system of some sort?
Correct. You must be referred by a current member.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I'm getting absolutely crushed with these MLs. When I open up the questions, I might know 1 off the top of my head. I'm able to guess at a few, but have no clue how to play defense. It's only after I see the answers that I realize how "easy" some of the questions I missed actually are.

TV is the worst for me. Trying for a bunch of lucky Johnsons.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

bomtr wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:24 pm

After two MDs I have zero TMP and one TCA, three fewer than anyone else in group 108 (hi OSC!), so I probably should have skipped NGATV too--turns out I don't watch nearly as much TV as I thought, though I do like using initials. But so far at least I'm holding my own in Travel and the American West.

Defense in MLs is much more of a crapshoot than in the regular season, I've always found. Tighter range of material, different writing styles, unfamiliar opponents...
In and out of the pool four times
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:49 pm I'm getting absolutely crushed with these MLs. When I open up the questions, I might know 1 off the top of my head. I'm able to guess at a few, but have no clue how to play defense. It's only after I see the answers that I realize how "easy" some of the questions I missed actually are.

TV is the worst for me. Trying for a bunch of lucky Johnsons.
Yeah, this whole TV thing is going to be terrible. I might literally get only 2 right all Mini League. The only reason I haven't quit is because forfeitting sucks.

Faring slightly better on the others, at least not getting totally shut out.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Who played Nate Fisher in Six Feet Under? O, how I struggled with this one! I got to Peter right away and gave my brain the rest of the day to come up with his last name but couldn't get all the other TV Peters outa my head: Scolari, Gallagher, Dinklage... I came up with the full names of all the other cast members of Six Feet Under but never got to Peter Krause. Alack!
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Yep the Television ML is going to suck, but when you're playing for the Completist Cup you suffer through it.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

In Travel 2, I'm a bit embarrassed at having missed the Ulaanbaatar question, given that I was just in that city earlier this month. :oops: In my defense, when I was looking for things to do there, the fine arts museum for whatever reason didn't attract my attention (and I probably wouldn't have visited it even if it had, since I tend to visit landmarks that provide good photo opportunities). Also, I was so used to all the writings I saw in that city being in the Cyrillic alphabet. Finally, it might have helped me on that question if I had familiarized myself with the Mongolian flag in connection with my travel to that country; that could have helped me recognize a pattern on one of the objects in the image that accompanied the ML question.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

A lot of people are complaining about the TV ML. My gut is that "New Golden Age" wasn't explained well enough so people thought it was about TV in general and since they watch TV they figure it will be mostly gettable? I sort of inherently got where it would go, but it's kind of a wheelhouse thing for me with 15 TCA through 3 MDs, which is why I'm not getting why people are up in arms. I didn't play the Classical Music ML because I'm not good at that and knew I wouldn't know enough details, even though I've listened to classical music in the past, so I sort of (probably erroneously) equate this and that.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jfrumkin wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:23 pm A lot of people are complaining about the TV ML. My gut is that "New Golden Age" wasn't explained well enough so people thought it was about TV in general and since they watch TV they figure it will be mostly gettable? I sort of inherently got where it would go, but it's kind of a wheelhouse thing for me with 15 TCA through 3 MDs, which is why I'm not getting why people are up in arms. I didn't play the Classical Music ML because I'm not good at that and knew I wouldn't know enough details, even though I've listened to classical music in the past, so I sort of (probably erroneously) equate this and that.
I think many ML & 1DS are written very narrow to the niche of those that are fanatics. The Peanuts and Indy 500 are recent ones that come to mind--you may like those things, but not enough to even get half of the answers unless you are a true follower of the subject. But that's just this generalist D-rundler's perspective.

thoughts? :?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:40 pm I think many ML & 1DS are written very narrow to the niche of those that are fanatics. The Peanuts and Indy 500 are recent ones that come to mind--you may like those things, but not enough to even get half of the answers unless you are a true follower of the subject. But that's just this generalist D-rundler's perspective.

I think that's 100% true. I think people assumed (and it wasn't specified otherwise) that this one would be general TV and so the level of detail has been shock and awe, I just don't know that assumption is for sure the case.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jfrumkin wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:58 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:40 pm I think many ML & 1DS are written very narrow to the niche of those that are fanatics. The Peanuts and Indy 500 are recent ones that come to mind--you may like those things, but not enough to even get half of the answers unless you are a true follower of the subject. But that's just this generalist D-rundler's perspective.

I think that's 100% true. I think people assumed (and it wasn't specified otherwise) that this one would be general TV and so the level of detail has been shock and awe, I just don't know that assumption is for sure the case.
She gave a very detailed explanation of what this was going to be, and nowhere in it did she say "the vast majority of questions will be about shows with varying degrees of cult followings, most will be critically acclaimed and very few will be highly watched." That would've been a pretty reasonable warning to a lot of people that this was going to be painful.