Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:03 pm I considered it, but went with Richmond because it was the capital of the Confederacy and I knew it was historically one of the largest cities in the early USA. Yet again, the Kosman Koin lets me down :(
To be fair, a Kosman coin can only let you down. :)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I guessed Atlanta because I'm weak at history. I pulled out a 4(2)-1(2) because I remembered that Piltdown Man was a thing (or a non-thing, depending on how you look at it) and took a guess (3 for that plus 1 for Tyler Perry).

This season is going OK so far. After three match days, I'm 2-1-0 with 9 TCA and 9 CAA. I'm unusually high in MCW (5) and DE (.909).

Some poor guy in my rundle has a .154 DE so far. He and I have the same TCA, CAA, and TMP (12), but he has 18 TPA and is 0-3-0.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

An interesting tidbit is that Atlanta wasn't even the capital of Georgia during the Civil War. The state capital was Milledgeville until 1868.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Although I have otherwise NHO the books, I was still the only person in my rundle to get Q4 because I remembered a similar question from LL61 or so from looking at past questions.

That was enough to take sole possession of the highest TCA in my rundle. Which is shocking, since I have played along with LL for years and have never even hit 60 TCA in a season.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:28 pm I guessed Atlanta because I'm weak at history.
I guessed Atlanta because when I read "Gone With The Wind", one of the chapters had a first paragraph describing something to do with the south and it ended with a description of Atlanta as " that key city of the Confederacy". I also considered Richmond...but was really surprised to see New Orleans.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

SBurrus wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:34 pm
I guessed Atlanta because when I read "Gone With The Wind", one of the chapters had a first paragraph describing something to do with the south and it ended with a description of Atlanta as " that key city of the Confederacy".
It was a key city largely because it was a railroad junction (Atlanta's original name was Terminus). At the time Sherman marched through, the population was around 20k.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

New Orleans was something I happened to know, no way would I have guessed that. I was facing someone from British Columbia, so I assigned 3 points and she missed it. I got one point for it, Tyler Perry was my zero, which I also got right.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:28 pm I guessed Atlanta because I'm weak at history. I pulled out a 4(2)-1(2) because I remembered that Piltdown Man was a thing (or a non-thing, depending on how you look at it) and took a guess (3 for that plus 1 for Tyler Perry).

This season is going OK so far. After three match days, I'm 2-1-0 with 9 TCA and 9 CAA. I'm unusually high in MCW (5) and DE (.909).

Some poor guy in my rundle has a .154 DE so far. He and I have the same TCA, CAA, and TMP (12), but he has 18 TPA and is 0-3-0.
I guessed Atlanta b/c in spite of wheelhouse history I imagined it was bigger than N.O. at the time, so don't feel badly! IN spite of getting just 5 & 4 R have moved ahead. DE has improved! :-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Tabby
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tabby »

So, fun facts - NO was the 6th largest city in the US in 1860 at a population of 168,000, and Atlanta had less than 10,000. I was leaning toward Richmond also, but thought of NO at the last minute and guessed right.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I guessed Birmingham instead of New Orleans.

So far I'm 1-1-1 with scores of 0(0), 2(2), 0(1). My best and worst start ever.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:51 pm I guessed Birmingham instead of New Orleans.

So far I'm 1-1-1 with scores of 0(0), 2(2), 0(1). My best and worst start ever.
Birmingham wasn't even incorporated until 1871.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yesterday was more like it, but I still had to play perfect defense to get the 5(4)-4(4) win. I'm lucky that my opponent knew the Buddhism question, as I gave them a 0 on it and it played tougher than I thought it would. Also, my opponent knew the Eakins questions, despite not being very strong in Art, and that one played a little bit easier than I thought it would. Luckily I didn't go with the 3 for that one.

But my luckiest break was just throwing out the name of a European car maker, picking the right one, and getting 2 points!
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Two wild guesses: Pennsylvania and just putting "Smith" paid off for me. Good old Smith!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Yeah, Philadelphia is a state. Way to turn a win into a loss, moron.

On the plus side, thanks to The Expanse for a gimme with Smith.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

mennoknight wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 7:52 am Two wild guesses: Pennsylvania and just putting "Smith" paid off for me. Good old Smith!
For the record: "Nauvoo" should by Pavlovian for Mormons.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

teapot37 wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 am
mennoknight wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 7:52 am Two wild guesses: Pennsylvania and just putting "Smith" paid off for me. Good old Smith!
For the record: "Nauvoo" should by Pavlovian for Mormons.
might be now, but I've never heard that word before in my life. Sounded like Amidala's home planet to me.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

My lucky shot in the dark was 'Dixieland.' I know very little about jazz, so I just tried to think of an adjective that would make sense there.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

My opponents missed 3 of their 5 assigned-0-point questions this week, all in what was otherwise their top category for the day's set.

My DE this season is in the terlet.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

How the heck does John Bull get a 2.2 average defense?

I'm thankful for Thorsten's generosity since I put down "wood alcohol" rather than just "wood" for Q6.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:40 am My opponents missed 3 of their 5 assigned-0-point questions this week, all in what was otherwise their top category for the day's set.
I just checked, and I also missed three of the five assigned-to-me-0-points questions this week. So maybe I shouldn't be bellyaching. ;)